PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done this?

Racer41c
04-28-2010, 04:14 PM
So I had a short piece of Spin X 16g and wanted to re-string my racquet. It measured out to 17.5' and my notes said I needed 18'. So I was pretty sure I'd come up short and did. So I tied it off and now have 14 mains instead of 16.

The tie offs were a pain, but besides that, Is there any downside? I mean besides the obvious.

Larrysümmers
04-28-2010, 04:40 PM
It might cause warping. But I'm not 100% sure.

Steve Huff
04-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Well, hopefully, you used the cross string to fill in the outer 2 mains. You could do this by stringing the top cross 1st, then 1 main, then the bottom cross, then the other main. Now, you're at the top ready to start the 2nd cross. You just have to make sure you weave the bottom cross correctly. If you have an odd number of crosses, it will be weaved the same as the top. If you have an even number of crosses, it will be weaved opposite the top. This is kind of a 2-piece, around-the-world pattern.

David123
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
hmm seems pretty dangerous. You decide if you want to take the risk or not. I wouldn't.

LPShanet
04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
So I had a short piece of Spin X 16g and wanted to re-string my racquet. It measured out to 17.5' and my notes said I needed 18'. So I was pretty sure I'd come up short and did. So I tied it off and now have 14 mains instead of 16.

The tie offs were a pain, but besides that, Is there any downside? I mean besides the obvious.

If you did as Steve Huff mentioned, and filled in the remaining mains with the crosses (ATW style), then it won't matter much. If you didn't think of that and just left them out, you're certainly voiding the warranty, but not sure how it'll affect play depending on the frame.