PDA

View Full Version : Need more power!!!!!

vanillafire1
04-28-2010, 05:04 PM
I am currently using a wilson k blade tour strung with technifibre 17 x-one biphase mains, and 16 nrg2 crosses, can't seem to get the power out of it i need. I ordered a set of 16 gauge x-one biphase and 16 gauge nrg2 to string two of my rackets with, I went up a gauge to add more power but how much tension should i drop. I had it a 57 lbs but with a kblade tour its not enough power, i was thinking either 56 or 55. please let me know what you think. Also I will take string recommendations. Keep in mind that I do not hit flat shots but I am a baseline player.

autumn_leaf
04-28-2010, 05:12 PM
is this post for real?? you bought a players racquet that states that it is low powered and yet you want more power... heavy, small headed racquets are control oriented with minimal power. you have to supply the power yourself.

as for the string tension. a few lbs ain't gonna do nothing. drop it to 50 or 40 or even 30.

better suggestion is to find a different racquet that is less demanding. like most sticks in the kblade tour category, there's usually enough power if hit in the sweetspot, but you have to be a very consistent player.

ogruskie
04-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I am currently using a wilson k blade tour strung with technifibre 17 x-one biphase mains, and 16 nrg2 crosses, can't seem to get the power out of it i need. I ordered a set of 16 gauge x-one biphase and 16 gauge nrg2 to string two of my rackets with, I went up a gauge to add more power but how much tension should i drop. I had it a 57 lbs but with a kblade tour its not enough power, i was thinking either 56 or 55. please let me know what you think. Also I will take string recommendations. Keep in mind that I do not hit flat shots but I am a baseline player.

I have to agree with the second poster. You should have known before purchasing a KBT that it is a very low powered racquet. However if you have the physical strength, you can still produce immense power. I'm surprised that with a full multi set-up you still lack power. That being said I recommend developing your own strokes before looking at the strings as being part of the problem.

fgs
04-28-2010, 05:39 PM
generally thicker gauges have less power - so by ordering a x-one biphase in 16 was a step in the wrong direction.

decades
04-28-2010, 06:00 PM
it's your stick, as your string setup is powerful. you could go 17g with lower tension for a marginal kick, but you need to seriously consider your stick.

parasailing
04-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Go with 18gauge strings may help a bit but like others have said, if you need more power, you are using the wrong racquet.

autumn_leaf
04-28-2010, 06:16 PM
hmm. i've been looking at the OP's previous posts. seems heavily concentrated on the kblade tour, i did see that you were willing to trade a pure drive for it. that's a huge difference in power levels. any reasons why you switched away from the pure drive? reasons for the kblade tour?

David123
04-28-2010, 06:49 PM
lol maybe try loosening up the tension. Anyhow both strings are pretty light powered not so muhc the x-1, but still try lowering tension. In addition the racket is prety controlled.. lol. What are you on the NTRP? the racket is probably meant for players in the 4.5 range.

autumn_leaf
04-28-2010, 07:17 PM
lol maybe try loosening up the tension. Anyhow both strings are pretty light powered not so muhc the x-1, but still try lowering tension. In addition the racket is prety controlled.. lol. What are you on the NTRP? the racket is probably meant for players in the 4.5 range.

see, i don't think level should play a role in this. it's more like he bought "x" but was intending to buy "y". like a person buying a rock (x) when they wanted to buy something comfy and plush like a pillow (y). in this case buying a racquet that was meant for control while intending to buy a racquet for power.

though again. i assume from his other posts he had a power racquet (pure drive) but was looking for something else.

JT_2eighty
04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
String the kbt with full gut at 50-52lbs. Power control spin is all there. Sure may be expensive but the dense pattern will give you decent string life and it's the best way to add power to this stick as well as adding some lead at 10 and 2.

kiteboard
04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Lead it to 360g, string with vs gut main at 60/ alu power at crosses at 56lb.

Ambivalent
04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
You basically bought the racket with the densest string pattern on the market. If you wanted power, you should have gone with the 98 or even the team.

Autodidactic player
04-29-2010, 02:00 AM
As the other posters have suggested, your choices for adding power to a low powered "players" racket are very limited. In my experience, your best choices are (from best to worst):

1. Add weight to the head. I like weight at 9&3 and slightly less at 10&2 (this was the thinking behind Wilson's old "hammer" line of rackets);
2. String looser. I've found that you can go very low with a lot of poly's, 40lbs+/-, and low, 45lbs+/-, with multis and syn guts without losing control;
3. Use the thinnest gauge of the string you like. With the dense string pattern you can get pretty good durability out of 18 gauge strings; and
4. Try a "shaped" string (hex, pentagon, twisted, helix, rough etc). The extra spin these strings provide will give you a "heavier" ball which will feel to your opponent like it is more powerful.

If none of this works then I'll have to agree with the other posters that you should try a more powerful racket. Good luck.

Autodidactic player
04-29-2010, 02:09 AM
I forgot to mention you can also try a power oriented string. Many of these strings have "power" in the name, like Head FXP Power, or have a name that suggests it's a power string, like Weiss Cannon Explosiv!. For some reason I don't have an "edit" button for my posts. :confused:

bertrevert
04-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Autodidact you will be able to edit when you reach 50 posts or something.

I agree with your advice. I'd add:

Having recently been looking for some more power myself (though I play a light 95 racq) I'm really researching strings and tensions.

The KBT is an awesome tool isn't it. But you really need to hit out on everything. Get in a dog fight and you can tire. Soon you're leaving your shots short, and that as they say is the ball game.

Also the errors may mount up. It's a low-pwr players frame and there's 'nowt t'be done 'bout that.

Research strings and lower tensions...

bsandy
04-29-2010, 04:10 AM
Maybe it's not your strings.

No one using a 93 sq in racquet or an 18 x 20 pattern should be complaining about needing more power.

LET ALONE BOTH!

. . . Bud

Steve Huff
04-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Use your NXT in the mains. Get some Big Ace Micro. String your NXT at 52 and your BA Micro at 47. You should feel a difference. The pattern on that racket is so dense you should still have adequate control.

vanillafire1
04-29-2010, 06:47 AM
pure drive had power and shots were consistent, but lacked control for me, i needed some accuracy because I have the physical strength to get the ball over the net but its tricky to find a stick that will give me a some power but alot of spin. the pure drive just wasn't accurate enough for my style of play. The kblade is great for serves but dont find it to be very forgiving.

HitItHarder
04-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Seriously ... other than finding a new stick ... your options are lead in the hoop to add swing weight and loosen your tension a good bit (to say 50 lbs.) and go from there.

el sergento
04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
pure drive had power and shots were consistent, but lacked control for me, i needed some accuracy because I have the physical strength to get the ball over the net but its tricky to find a stick that will give me a some power but alot of spin. the pure drive just wasn't accurate enough for my style of play. The kblade is great for serves but dont find it to be very forgiving.

From the TW review:

Chris "Not much to dislike. Just not enough power for me overall."

Troy "The dense string pattern didn't allow for the ball bite that I like on my groundstrokes and serves."

Tiffani "For a match stick, I need something with more power."

Sorry guy, seems like this stick just isn't for you, at least not in stock form. If it's power you're looking for, you could
try adding some lead to the head of the racquet to increase the rather low SW. Try to get the SW up to between 330-335.

You should head off to the TW University, you'll see, it's fun and addictive.:)

Chris Rizutto
04-29-2010, 09:51 AM

You are way too high on your tension with that racquet. Try as low as 45, 50 pounds.

I play 50 pounds on K90 and could really go looser.

MuscleWeave
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
is this post for real??

I agree with Autumn Leaf. Who ever heard of hybriding X-one and NRG2?

Tounge in cheek:
Melanie Oudin used this racquet and had plenty of power with it. Technically proficient players can increase their power with an increase in weight. Have you demoed the Kfactor 90 or KPS 88?

But seriously, if you're real:
Try demoing the Bab Aero Pro Drive, or any of a number of midplus racquets that supply power and spin. Many racquets offer more control than the Pure Drives.

Demo before purchase.

jackson vile
04-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Put gut in there, you will be happy, remember this is a real players racket. So the gut is going to take really well.

ClubHoUno
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
You have a players racquet with a small mid sized head and a tight string pattern.

String it up with a full set of Babolat VS Team 17 @ 56 lbs.

If this is too powerful, then try a hybrid of Babolat VS Team 17 @ 52 lbs mains and Luxilon Alu Power @ 48 lbs crosses.

Other option is to add 4 gram lead at 9 and 3 or string it even looser.

If this does not work, then sell the racquet and get a BLX 95 18x20, which has a bit more power, but still very good control or for more power than that, but still good control, get a Babolat Pure Strom Tour GT (by coincidence, I own both frames ;) )

JT_2eighty
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
There was about an 8 month period for me that I used the KBT, but ultimately went back to my bread and butter PT.

Anyway, in the time I used the KBT, as the above have said, GUT was the best for power, without sacrificing control. Clubhouno is right on, and I'd even say you could drop the tension to low 50s with gut, and still have great control with this kbt.

The other option I had success with was using pro supex Big Ace Micro and strung it at 43 lbs. The thin gauge really helps open up the power and spin in this stick, and I found mid-40s to be the max power potential in the KBT.

So, start cheap for $8 and pro supex BAM at 43lbs, see what you think, it's a way to get some really *nasty* spin out of kbt with nice pop.

Then, go expensive and try the full gut. Also, the lead suggestion really helps as well, since the kbt is very head light. I would have stuck with it if it weren't for my 15 years of muscle memory stuck on the PT, which plays similar to kbt but with more flex.

good luck!