PDA

View Full Version : Double pulling strings

Cross-court
04-28-2010, 05:24 PM
What does this mean, how is it done and what are the pros and cons of doing this?

I've been having really bad stringjobs lately, they just feel bad and they suck, they even make me play terrible because I just don't have confidence and the ball can go either very well or very bad just like that.

The feeling I get is that the string bed feels "uneven" or "unbalanced", like maybe some strings have a higher/lower tension than others and vice versa, it doesn't feel "compact" then, I don't even know how to explain it, it just doesn't feel right.

Right now I'm only using 1 kind of string on the whole bed, Enduro Pro 16 or something similar.

When I use only 1 string, should you string both mains and crosses at the same tension? Should stringing the crosses lower be done only when you use 2 strings?

Someone who used to hit with me who strings his own rackets says that the difference is that he "double pulls" all the strings when he's stringing, he says that that makes it hold the tension evenly or better or something like that.

Rabbit
04-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Double pulling, IME, refers to the practice of pulling tension on the same string twice. This is done for a couple of reasons, to remove elasticity resulting in a tighter stringbed (I disagree with this and don't think it makes any difference) and to increase tension after strings are straightened, crosses.

It doesn't sound related to your issue though.

Austinthecity
04-28-2010, 05:51 PM
I've always hear the phrase double pulling as pulling two strings at once.

It is bad practice and is used to save time on string jobs.

David123
04-28-2010, 06:50 PM
i am pretty sure it takes more time. Maybe he meant double pulling to start the mains?

LPShanet
04-28-2010, 07:22 PM
What does this mean, how is it done and what are the pros and cons of doing this?

I've been having really bad stringjobs lately, they just feel bad and they suck, they even make me play terrible because I just don't have confidence and the ball can go either very well or very bad just like that.

The feeling I get is that the string bed feels "uneven" or "unbalanced", like maybe some strings have a higher/lower tension than others and vice versa, it doesn't feel "compact" then, I don't even know how to explain it, it just doesn't feel right.

Right now I'm only using 1 kind of string on the whole bed, Enduro Pro 16 or something similar.

When I use only 1 string, should you string both mains and crosses at the same tension? Should stringing the crosses lower be done only when you use 2 strings?

Someone who used to hit with me who strings his own rackets says that the difference is that he "double pulls" all the strings when he's stringing, he says that that makes it hold the tension evenly or better or something like that.

Double pulling usually refers to the practice of pulling two strings at once, rather than tensioning each one separately. It's a bad idea, and the sign of a lazy stringer, as you have no idea what your actual resulting tension will be. It adds many variables, such as differential between strings, friction around the bends, etc. The only "pro" of doing it is that you save a little time on the string job. While most string beds will eventually even out after time from doing this, there is no reason to do it other than laziness.

However, it sounds like your friend is using it to mean that he pulls tension twice on each string. This practice isn't really helpful, as it does absolutely nothing for the string job if your machine is a good one, and may throw off your reference tension if not, and can overstretch some strings, although chances are it doesn't have all that much effect on the final string job. Mostly it's just a waste of time, as long as your machine is accurate and has good clamps. You can accomplish all of the potential benefits of this type of double pull by simply pre-stretching the strings before installation. Different strings respond differently to pre-stretching, and some are better and some worse.

In terms of using different tensions between mains and crosses, there are many people who will try to tell you otherwise, but all actual scientific evidence points to it not really mattering. Best procedure is to follow manufacturer's recommendations so as to not void the frame's warranty. You won't feel a slight difference anyway, if it's all one string. The goal of a good string job is to get as even a tension as possible. The only sensible exception to this is when the manufacturer actually recommends using differential tension (as some, such as Yonex, do for some frames).

dancraig
04-28-2010, 07:38 PM

zapvor
04-28-2010, 07:43 PM
YuLite would confirm not to do it

TenniseaWilliams
04-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Let's not all jump to conclusions. I think OP is looking to upgrade his technique before he ups the tension.

Assuming OP's friend meant "sequential" double pulling (pulling the same string twice) the effect would be variable depending upon his technique, (ie straightening crosses) his machine, (lock-out?) string, frame, ATW hard-weave, etc. Would also have some extra effect on the crosses.

There is also "serial" double pull (pulling a single string with two un-tensioned segments behind it), and a "parallel" double pull. (pulling two strings at once, with half tension going to each) Neither of these "double pulls" will likely have a positive impact on the final stringbed tension/consistency.

schenkelini
04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Double pulling is pulling two strings at once in the sense that two rows at once. It is most often done when using flying clamps because you need to clamp two strings with flying clamps verses one with fixed clamps. It is usually one only on the first two main strings on each side. It is really not all that bad and by pushing down on the string closest to the tension head after pulling the two strings are equalized.

David123
04-29-2010, 06:15 AM
I don't do it and i use flying clamps. I use the way yulitle has shown.

retlod
04-29-2010, 07:11 AM
...Assuming OP's friend meant "sequential" double pulling (pulling the same string twice)...

...There is also "serial" double pull (pulling a single string with two un-tensioned segments behind it)...

...and a "parallel" double pull. (pulling two strings at once, with half tension going to each)...

Good stuff, Tennisea. I don't think a sequential would be that easy to pick up on. A serial would leave the string bed inconsistent and with a lot of variables, which is what the OP talks about, and a parallel would be flat out unplayable. With half the tension on each string, you could request a tension of 60 lbs and have it come back to you strung at 30!

el sergento
04-29-2010, 08:19 AM

Regardless of stringing techniques involved, I personaly hate that string. It plays boardy and slippery, meaning that it won't always grab the ball the same way, which in turn leads to inconsistency on your strokes.

Just my 2c.

Lambsscroll
04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Double pulling is most often done in the beginning of stringing when you don't want to pull the mains over the handle or when the tension puller isn't in a good position to pull the string through the throat grommet. This way your tensioning the string from the bumper guard. Since the string now goes around a grommet loop you need to pull twice to take up the slack.

TennezSport
04-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Like LPS stated, double pulling usually refers to pulling 2 strings at the same time and it's a NO NO! Just don't do it as it will always results in a poor string job. It's usually used to speed through a string job by inexpereinced stringers.

However, as Rabbit mentioned some do think of it as pulling the same string twice to remove creep in certain types of string (NG, multi's). This practice is usually used by stringers who have crank machines or when pulling a hard weave in crosses, and it does make a difference. Yulitle has actually shown this in one of his vids.

If you want to test it, next time you are pulling a cross string make your first pull and mark the string at the back of the gripper. Hold the string as you release the gripper and pull again, then check the mark and you will find a difference.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

pvaudio
04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
I think the definition he's using for double pulling is the "serial" one posted above. It's where you "string one ahead", but don't tension the crosses individually and instead only tension on one side of the racquet (thus, trying to tension two crosses at once).

audioaffliction
04-30-2010, 12:08 AM
I actually like double pulling. Yes, I know you're not supposed to do this but I personally like the feel of double pulled crosses. I only discovered this accidentally years ago when I had to re-do a string job in a big hurry. I'm not saying that double pulling is a good idea--just relating my personal preference for it.

And yes, I realize that I can achieve a softer feeling stringbed by simply lowering the crosses dramatically, but I've never been able to replicate the feel of the double pull. I normally string my crosses 2 or 4 pounds higher than the mains.