PDA

View Full Version : Restringing

krizzle
04-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Hello,

I play tennis usually as often as I can with school, which approaches 5 days/week. I got my racket for Christmas. I was wondering on whether to replace the strings now, or wait to re-string once a string actually breaks? Also, what kind of difference would I feel immediately after the re-stringing? When i'm playing tennis, I hear a solid clean sound coming from the strings when they hit a ball, and I don't hear that. Is it because I have old strings?

Ambivalent
04-28-2010, 09:28 PM
A lot of the times, the way your racket sounds while hitting is different from the way it sounds if someone else is hitting with it. Have a buddy hit a couple shots.

Big_Dangerous
04-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Hello,

I play tennis usually as often as I can with school, which approaches 5 days/week. I got my racket for Christmas. I was wondering on whether to replace the strings now, or wait to re-string once a string actually breaks? Also, what kind of difference would I feel immediately after the re-stringing? When i'm playing tennis, I hear a solid clean sound coming from the strings when they hit a ball, and I don't hear that. Is it because I have old strings?

I doubt it, I had the same problem, or noticed that same thing. I'm pretty to them, they hear that sound except on shanks or whatever. It's kinda like how when you talk to people every day you hear your voice that way, but when you actually play it back off a tape recorder or a video it sounds totally different.

Steve Huff
04-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Different rackets an different strings all produce different sounds. Is your new racket the same as your old one? If your new racket was strung at the factory, you should probably have it restrung anyway.

retlod
04-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Based on your playing schedule, you should be restringing about 5 times per year, so you're overdue for a string job. Now comes the fun part--finding a good string for you.

WARNING!!! This process may never end. :)

David123
04-29-2010, 06:12 AM
yeah you need to restring. You probably don't have as much control now. I still don't understand how you play 5 times a week and don't break them :S

el sergento
04-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Based on your playing schedule, you should be restringing about 5 times per year, so you're overdue for a string job.

Wait, I thought the rule of thumb was that you restrang as many times a month as you play a week. At least I remember seeing that somewhere.

el sergento
04-29-2010, 08:36 AM
yeah you need to restring. You probably don't have as much control now. I still don't understand how you play 5 times a week and don't break them :S

Well, with the advent of poly, and if he uses a tight string pattern, it's quite understandable that he hasn't broken yet.

I practicaly never break anymore either because I cut out the string once it goes dead. It's too bad too because I loved the feeling of snaping the string on a meaty shot!

el sergento
04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Hello,

Sound isn't any indication, especially if you've only ever played with one type of string and tension. Find someone with a similar racquet and string and try his/her frame. If you notice improved control and spin, then you can be assured that your strings are dead and need replacing.

Don't wait until you break, playing with dead string, especially if it's poly, can actually contribute to injury.

beernutz
04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Wait, I thought the rule of thumb was that you restrang as many times a month as you play a week. At least I remember seeing that somewhere.

The rule of thumb is to restring in a year the number of times which equals the number of times you play per week (e.g. if you play five times a week you should restring about every 10 weeks).

You'd have to have a lot of discretionary income to afford to follow the rule you heard, particularly if someone was using gut or an expensive multi or hybrid. Your rule would suggest that if you play seven times a week you would restring 7 times a month or approximately every 4 days or every 4 times you play.

Tennis_Man
04-29-2010, 10:48 AM
If you don't pop ur strings very often, you should probably restring ur racket every 2-3 months or so. The string will lose tension and its quality will decrease.

krizzle
04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
What kind of strings would you recommend then?
I like controlling precisely where the ball will go, as well as having power. Normally I rally from the baseline but I do like volleying, especially when playing doubles.
My price range is probably <$30.
If it makes a difference, my racket is a Head Flexpoint 10.

Donny0627
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM

No its how many times a year as you play in a week.

Valjean
04-30-2010, 08:39 AM
What kind of strings would you recommend then?
I like controlling precisely where the ball will go, as well as having power. Normally I rally from the baseline but I do like volleying, especially when playing doubles.
My price range is probably <$30.
If it makes a difference, my racket is a Head Flexpoint 10.
A solid, basic synthetic gut, such as Prince's *Original* Synthetic Gut, sounds like it would be enough right now. You should try it out in a 17 gauge, if you can find it, since you aren't breaking string. It's a good idea to let us in on what strings are actually available to you, though.