PDA

View Full Version : Choose a racquet for me

Ash Doyle
04-15-2004, 04:48 AM
I'm going to try something new.

I am currently not happy with my racquet choice. For the past two years I have gone from frame to frame trying to find a racquet that I'm happy with, and so far I haven't stayed with one racquet for more than two months. The racquets that I've stayed with longest are a Dunlop MW200 90, a Wilson Tour 90, and a very old Wilson ProStaff 6.0 95. I'm starting to think that I'm choosing racquets for the wrong reasons. So, to solve that problem I'm going to let you guys pick my next racquet. Here's a little about me to help you choose:

I prefer the feel of a racquet with a head size 95 sq. in. and under; I can adjust to a 100 sq. in. head, but I don't like the feel of anything over that. I prefer 27 in. racquets. I am very uncomfortable with the rectangular grip shape of Head racquets, and I love the feel of Wilson grips.

I'm a 4.0 player that has played off and on for the past 15 years, and seriously for the past three years. I use an eastern forehand grip and alternate between a two-handed flat backhand and (more often) a one handed slice backhand. I play an all-court game, and am comfortable with volleying (something I'd like to focus on much more this season). I'm a fit person, but not overly strong and I feel I could use a little extra juice on all my shots. I don't play a power game at all, I'm more about placement and spin.

What racquet would you suggest for me. I don't feel I'm doing a good job choosing racquets for myself, so I'm going to go by whatever seems to be the choice of the this board for my racquet for this season. Whatever has the majority vote with you guys is what I will buy. Suggest away.

python
04-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Ash, as you've no doubt realized, you could play well with any number of racquets with your characteristics. It's just a matter of getting your mind to accept that this racquet is the "one".

I vote for the Volkl C10 Pro. It has excellent control, is still sold new in pro shops as well as online, has good feel, and still has a generous sweetspot with good pop. I'd probably be playing with this stick if I weren't addicted to the power the Volkl V1 Classic possesses in abundance.

What happened to the Chang anyway?

Ash Doyle
04-15-2004, 05:07 AM
What happened to the Chang anyway?

Wow. Nice to know someone pays attention to what I write. I enjoyed the 28" length on serves, but it was awkward for me on groundstrokes for some reason, and just did not feel right at all on volleys. Buying this racquet was another example of choosing a racquet for the wrong reasons. I enjoy watching the Spanish players, and wanted to try to emulate them with their game and racquet choice. It didn't take long to realize that just did not work for me. What works for me and comes most naturally to me is more of classic style of tennis play.

Brent Pederson
04-15-2004, 06:11 AM
Hey, Python, that's what I was getting ready to suggest, then read your post!

The c10 has a little more power than the average player's racket, but still has about the best touch and feel you can get. I seriously doubt you'll be unhappy with it. If you can't get hold of one, go with the tour 10 midplus, almost the same, but a bit stiffer.

tarheelbornjohn
04-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Head LM Instinct should be tried.

Michael Moss
04-15-2004, 07:47 AM
The Vokyl C-10 Pro is not a 28in., but you probably tried the X version. Try the regular C-10 Pro. If you can get your paws on a Yonex Rd-7, try that as well, and maybe the Prince Warrior MP.

Ash Doyle
04-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Michael, the 28" racquet I was referring to was the Michael Chang Graphite that Python asked about.

Seems like everyone is suggesting a Volkl, which is very cool to me because that's what I was thinking about anyway. It looks like the C-10 Pro has the lead right now.

Tarheelbornjohn, I'm really not considering anything by Head becuase I find the rectangular grip shape on all their racquets very uncomfortable.

Kevin Hawk
04-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Heck, I'm a 4.0 player and tried most of the racquets that you are considering......last year. Tried the Prestige, Fischer...most of the "players" frames. I narrowed it down to the Volkl Tour 10 and the Wilson HPS 6.1. Yep, the HPS is getting a little long in the tooth, but damn it's a sweet all around frame! 12+ oz for stability, 8 pts. head light for manueverability and decent POP for a players frame. Yep, it's the one I chose. I placed a little lead tape at 10/2 to raise the somewhat low sweetspot up a bit and it's absolutely perfect for me! There's a reason why this racquet is used by so many tour players STILL! I remember watching a Wimbledon mens semi last year where ALL four players were swinging the HPS 6.1. Mirnyi, Bjorkman, etc.

Benjamin
04-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Prince Diablo Mid

Benjamin

kreative
04-15-2004, 11:11 AM
diablo mid, c-10 pro, tour 10 mp, v-engine 10, hps 6.1, tour 95, pk core1 #6

@wright
04-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Volkl racquets have a similar grip shape to heads, pretty rectangular. I'd try the estusas if you haven't yet, ash.

PS61
04-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Use lower tension on your PS 6.0 95, you might get a sweetest racket. My experience was 57-58 lb. You might want to try some soft strings like sensation. I found lots of people demo arround, but never tried different string and tension. I think there is not a racket superior over others. Also, people tend to be mislead by the high string tension of pros, but over look they us natural gut.

Cosmic Debris
04-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Yonex MP Tour-5. The 1/2 inch additional length (which eyeballs less than 1/2 inch to me) is not, IMHO, material.

Stitch626
04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
I haven't tried the other estusas, but the PBB is gold. It provides a lot of "pop" for a 92'' head. Probably the 100% graphite. Anywayz, demo it from TW, its a great reacket. I'm sure any estusa would be great!

thejerk
04-15-2004, 06:16 PM
go for the hps 6.1 power and spin are awesome. I like the head grip and my favorite is head classic mid, but next is hps 6.1 put a little lead 3&9 and you'll be able to smash your serve through opponents. Oh yea, Estusas are awesome and come in 3rd for me.

Deuce
04-15-2004, 09:32 PM
The Ergonom fits your specs.

It's amazing that anyone is actually willing to choose a frame for someone else...

Ash Doyle
04-16-2004, 04:14 AM
Deuce, what is the Ergonom. I've never heard of that before.

It's amazing that anyone is actually willing to choose a frame for someone else...

Are you kidding!? On these boards!? That's why I love this place! Anyway, I have very few tennis playing friends. This is the only place I can come to talk tennis and get advice like this.

Steve Huff
04-16-2004, 09:23 AM
I agree with @wright. Volkls have a rectangular shaped handle, so you might not like it so much. If you want to step out of the mainstream, why not try the Slazenger X One. It seems to be a pretty good frame. Haven't hit with it yet, but I understand that it's a little more flexible than the old ProBraided, so it might be really nice.

Ash Doyle
04-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. After reading what everyone wrote, I decided to demo the top three choices. I've already placed the order for a Wilson Hyper ProStaff 6.1, an Estusa PBB, and a Volkl C10 Pro. I'll let you know what I think after I try them out for a week.

Steve, I would have demoed a Slazenger also, but they were out right now. I really enjoyed my old Wilson ProStaff 6.0 95, but I bought it back in '91 and it's really ragged now. I bought a new one from TW a few months ago, but it doesn't feel the same. It didn't seem to be as stiff nor heavy, and the balance wasn't the same. Overall, the racquet didn't feel anywhere near the same and even with lead tape I couldn't get it like I wanted it. A Slazenger might be a good choice. I also wish I could find the Donnay model that Rusedski uses, but I cant find out where to get one.

d wayne
04-16-2004, 09:48 AM
You say you love the feel of Wilson grips but make no mention of trying the Surge or H Tour. These seem ideal for an intermediate player looking for just a bit of pop while maintaining control. I would suggest you give these a demo before you let a vote decide your next purchase. These are not as heavy as some being mentioned here, but they are solid and will allow decent racket head speed

04-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Yonex MP1 Tour 98, RDX500 or try the new Slaz.X1...specs look great.

Ash Doyle
04-16-2004, 10:08 AM
D Wayne, the Surge in incredibly close to a Pure Drive and I have tried one of those before. The H Tour is just way too light of a racquet. I know a lot of people like them, but racquets that light just feel horrible to me. 11 ounces feels way too light to me.

tarheelbornjohn
04-20-2004, 04:43 AM
I have seen this Kevin Hawk play with the HPS 6.1 and at least in his hands it is one good stick. He never misses a shot long has an unbelievable drop shot and gets lots of pop on his serve. I had played with the HPS 6.1 stretch and liked it, for everything but volleys. I would really hit with the vokls before you buy. They are flexable, and you will either like them or not.

Kevin Hawk
04-20-2004, 12:09 PM
It's awefully hard to hit long when I'm dumping them all in the net! :)

Stitch626
04-21-2004, 05:00 PM
How are the demo's Ash? if you dont mind me asking.... ^_^