PDA

View Full Version : Poly with best Feel?

corners
04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
So the downsides of poly are: too stiff, low power, no feel. And the upsides: spin, durability, stay straight.

What, in your experience, is the poly with the best feel? I guess I'm talking closest to gut, for touch shots and such - feeling connected to your strings.

EDIT: Apologies and thanks to those who have already posted their contributions, but after being gently chided for my naive question I'd like to alter it:

I now use Global Gut/Pro Line II. Soon the Global Gut will run out (I don't know if the sheep in India will die out; it's just that I don't feel like getting another 10 sets at the higher price, at least not right now). So I'm looking for a full poly with excellent feel. I'll be stringing between 30-40 pounds in a mid. (I'm now at 40 with gut/poly and found the adjustment to the lower tension, from 50, to be a cinch) I hope I haven't made my query even more absurd, but... Any polys feel like gut/poly hybrid:oops:

decades
04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
most people say it is lux bb ace..18g....others like sppp 18g.

jrod
04-29-2010, 10:09 AM
hey corners-

Feel is such a subjective thing, my sense is you will likely get a broad spectrum of replies here, even after factoring out those responses from folks that have little experience with the vast array of polys available on the market today (you can consider me to be one of these folks as my exposure is somewhere in the 10%-20% range).

Secondly, as you well know, tension plays a huge role in dictating how a string "feels". Just go look at the low tension thread to get a taste of that tangent.

Finally, I've found that one type of strings in one frame can feel completely different in another frame. Case in point: BBO in Fischer MPro no.1 98 has much better feel than BBO in a Becker 11mid strung a couple of #s lower tension.

Now that I've totally dis'd your posts objective, I might as well give you MY answer your question. I think Pro Line II feels really nice for a (co)poly. I also really like and currently use Weisscannon Silverstring as a cross in a gut hybrid. I'm not a fan of this string in a full bed. I also really like BBO string low 50s in a flexy frame.

tennis_pr0
04-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Head sonic pro

Preston
04-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Corners I support Jrod's post. And just demonstrate how much I support it, I will tell you I felt Proline 2 had almost no feel. Balls sprayed on me and would go long, short, all over the place. I couldn't groove with this at all, and forget drop shots. But, that is just my take on the string, lots of people love it.

I just got to hit a buddy of mine's RQiS 200 with Topspin Concept Pure yesterday. It may have been the racket string combination, but it felt very clean when striking the ball. It was soft and crisp, with a consistant feel. I hit a few droppers and the touch felt great(for a poly). I have yet to put this in my Rebel to tell if it was the string alone or the racket string combo as I said, but the string is cheap and would be worth a shot for a poly with good feel.

I liked the consistent feel of Pro Supex Big Ace as well, though this is a bit mushy and some don't like that.

drakulie
04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Agree with jrod. So subjective.

Using Luxilon as the "measurement" for the most part:

I find Big Ace to play softer. Black Magic to play in between. Hurricane tour to play stiffer.

It really is such a broad range of a question, and extremely subjective.

Timo 110 is a great crisp string with excellent feel, and liveliness.

Spin X holds tension extremely well, and has great pocketing.

etc

etc

etc

One string that I really did not like at all, and after stringing at a National Tourney this week, got the same reply from several of the players is the Black Code. They all felt the same as I did>>>> played dead/crap.

Then again, there are many who like that feel, which is why it is important to test the string out for yourself.

Racer41c
04-29-2010, 10:22 AM
My vote would be Spin X Silver in 17g for best feel of the polys I've tried. Doesn't have as much of that plastic feel, and I can actually tell where the balls going on touch shots.

corners
04-29-2010, 10:30 AM
hey corners-

Feel is such a subjective thing, my sense is you will likely get a broad spectrum of replies here, even after factoring out those responses from folks that have little experience with the vast array of polys available on the market today (you can consider me to be one of these folks as my exposure is somewhere in the 10%-20% range).

Secondly, as you well know, tension plays a huge role in dictating how a string "feels". Just go look at the low tension thread to get a taste of that tangent.

Finally, I've found that one type of strings in one frame can feel completely different in another frame. Case in point: BBO in Fischer MPro no.1 98 has much better feel than BBO in a Becker 11mid strung a couple of #s lower tension.

Now that I've totally dis'd your posts objective, I might as well give you MY answer your question. I think Pro Line II feels really nice for a (co)poly. I also really like and currently use Weisscannon Silverstring as a cross in a gut hybrid. I'm not a fan of this string in a full bed. I also really like BBO string low 50s in a flexy frame.

Hey, no problem, this is an internet forum - I expect the dissin'

But I'm curious: Why don't you like Silverstring in a full bed? That's one of the strings I've had my eye on it to use in hybrids as you do, but more importantly for after my cheap gut runs out in a full bed.

I'm going to edit the OP - I should be more specific: I want a full poly that feels like a gut/poly hybrid:)

drakulie
04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
I want a full poly that feels like a gut/poly hybrid:)

Not gonna happen.

number.432
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
But I'm curious: Why don't you like Silverstring in a full bed? That's one of the strings I've had my eye on it to use in hybrids as you do, but more importantly for after my cheap gut runs out in a full bed.

I'm going to edit the OP - I should be more specific: I want a full poly that feels like a gut/poly hybrid:)

Nothing will replicate gut/poly combo.

Are you a stringbreaker? Have you tried Tonic 15G or any other thicker gauge guts?

jrod
04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Hey, no problem, this is an internet forum - I expect the dissin'

I should have been more specific. I prefer it in a gut hybrid for a number of reasons. If I were to use a full bed of poly, I think I'd go with BBO and just cut it out and restring it every couple of hours. Silverstring is an excellent co-poly but I think BBO plays better initially.

I'm going to edit the OP - I should be more specific: I want a full poly that feels like a gut/poly hybrid:)Don't we all? I'm with Drak on this one...aint gonna happen.

jcstennis
04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
I always thought Polyfibre TCS had good feel for a poly. Same with TopSpin Concept Pure. Now using Genesis SpinX and that's not too bad either.

scotus
04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
In the feel department, the following polys are excellent:

Lux M2 & Ace
Polystar Energy & Turbo
Pro Supex Big Ace Micro

Autodidactic player
04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Here are the poly's I've tried in a slightly modified Wilson six.one BLX team. In order from best to worst for feel and comfort.

1. Technifibre Black Code 18g
2. Kirshbaum Helix 18g
3. Kirshbaum Pro Line II 18g
4. Topspin Cyber Blue/Power 18g
5. MSV Hex 18g
6. Luxilon ALU Power Rough 16g
7. Golden Set Hex 18g

All of these were in a hybrid with the poly on the mains between 42-47 lbs and an 18g multi/syn gut on the crosses at 45-50 lbs. I've got some Weiss Cannon Turbotwist 18g, Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17g and Genesis Typhoon yet to try. I'll let you know if any of those crack my top two. P.S. I agree with the earlier posters that said some strings feel great in one racket and lousy in another. I would add that one player might love one string that another player hates - it's all very individual.

fgs
04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
currently i'm playing kirschbaum competition 1.20 mains with isospeed professional 1.20 crosses at 23/22kg in my heavily modded 106 blades. this setup provides me just enough "touch", but then i can only agree that this is a very personal issue.
i also had good experience with the luxilon adrenaline 1.20 and am going to give the isospeed pulse 1.20 a second run. this string was somehow intriguing - maybe it played too good for me to believe. if you have a chance give the isospeed pulse a try too.
a string at a certain tension in a specific racquet can play completely bad while the same string at another tension in a different racquet can be truly perfect.

David123
04-29-2010, 12:48 PM

I find Big Ace to play softer. Black Magic to play in between. Hurricane tour to play stiffer.

etc

etc

etc

One string that I really did not like at all, and after stringing at a National Tourney this week, got the same reply from several of the players is the Black Code. They all felt the same as I did>>>> played dead/crap.

Then again, there are many who like that feel, which is why it is important to test the string out for yourself.

Agreed blackcode played very very dead from the start. No feel and balls were flying out for me.

David123
04-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Not gonna happen.

Haha i love your response Drak. Yeah adding on, its a bit difficult. If such thing were to exist, everyone would be using it dont ya think :P?

aangstman01
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
I would suggest trying a poly in the mains, like PL2 or Weiss Silverstring. And then cross it with a multi like nrg2, which isn't natural gut, but it has good power and is very soft to counteract the stiffness of poly in the mains. With this you will get the spin, and lack of movement from the poly in the mains, and some decent power, and feel while softening up the the poly. I mean it's not going to stand up to gut standards, but it's a good alternative in my opinion.

kiteboard
04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Spiky shark/ ace 18g.

Chezbeeno
04-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm a big fan of Lux BB ALU Power Rough but I don't have a whole lot of experience with poly's in general.

hoodjem
04-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Best feel poly for me--
Lux BB Ace 1.12 for 4 hours

Best overall long-term feel poly--
Kirschbaum Pro Line II 18L (1.15)

SOFTEST DOES NOT EQUAL BEST FEEL!

PROTENNIS63
04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
The softest poly I have played with is Cyber Blue. But beware-- loads of power!! :twisted:

SplitStepper
04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Head sonic pro

You are correct. Also, babolat pro hurricane 18. I've been on a soft poly hunt for 2 years and counting. Topspin poly polar was also a winner.

hoodjem
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Softest (but not necessarily best feel) polys:

Babolat Pro Hurricane 18 Polyester 1.21 187
Tecnifibre Promix 17 (1.25) Polyester 1.27 199
Head Sonic Pro 17 Polyester 1.23 199
Pacific Poly Power 18 Polyester 1.09 201
Tecnifibre Promix 16 (1.30) Polyester 1.29 204
Polyfibre Poly Hightec 1.10 Polyester 1.09 206
Isospeed Pulse 1.20 Polyester 1.23 209
Super String Pure Control Orange Polyester 1.25 210
Polyfibre Poly Hightec 1.15 Polyester 1.16 211
Gamma Zo Tour 16 Polyester 1.32 214
Head Sonic Pro 16 Polyester 1.31 214

corners
04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. Of course a full bed of poly is not going to feel as nice as gut/poly, but you know - reach for the stars, get the moon...

Hoodjem, interesting point about softness not equating to good feel. I plan to string low or super low (~30 pounds in a mid) so I'm not really concerned about stiffness. If a soft poly has great feel as 35 pounds, cool; if a stiff poly has better feel, I'll try it at 30. I think the super low idea has potential to turn stiffer polys that many have been avoiding into viable options. Of course, I could be dead wrong, as a stiff poly with great feel at 60 pounds might feel like crap at 30.

But I'm really just looking for everyone's opinions to guide my hunt.

corners
04-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Nothing will replicate gut/poly combo.

Are you a stringbreaker? Have you tried Tonic 15G or any other thicker gauge guts?

I have been a stringbreaker. Although recently I've been getting 10+ hours out of 17g gut/poly. 15g gut would probably be a good alternative - thanks for the suggestion. But I forgot to mention that the rainy season just began where I live - another reason I'm looking at all-hydrophobic poly.

jrod
04-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. Of course a full bed of poly is not going to feel as nice as gut/poly, but you know - reach for the stars, get the moon...

Hoodjem, interesting point about softness not equating to good feel. I plan to string low or super low (~30 pounds in a mid) so I'm not really concerned about stiffness. If a soft poly has great feel as 35 pounds, cool; if a stiff poly has better feel, I'll try it at 30. I think the super low idea has potential to turn stiffer polys that many have been avoiding into viable options. Of course, I could be dead wrong, as a stiff poly with great feel at 60 pounds might feel like crap at 30.

But I'm really just looking for everyone's opinions to guide my hunt.

corners - Check this out: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2010/04/17_unique_tourna_quasi-gut.html

There was another thread about it but this reference was the most informative. Seems like it could be close to what you are looking for. Even though it is technically not a poly, the multifilament fibers are "infused" with poly. Some of the play testers comments suggest it feels like full gut, only with better control which to me sounds like a gut/poly hybrid.

-jrod

DrpShot!
04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
corners - Check this out: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2010/04/17_unique_tourna_quasi-gut.html

There was another thread about it but this reference was the most informative. Seems like it could be close to what you are looking for. Even though it is technically not a poly, the multifilament fibers are "infused" with poly. Some of the play testers comments suggest it feels like full gut, only with better control which to me sounds like a gut/poly hybrid.

-jrod

jrod, I read that and it says Quasi-Gut is infused with polyurethane, not polyester fibers, so it should compare to NRG2 or X1 Biphase. Anyway, it sounds like a "crisp" but forgiving multi and I plan to try it and see how it compares to NRG2 and X1.

jrod
04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
jrod, I read that and it says Quasi-Gut is infused with polyurethane, not polyester fibers, so it should compare to NRG2 or X1 Biphase. Anyway, it sounds like a "crisp" but forgiving multi and I plan to try it and see how it compares to NRG2 and X1.

My bad...still, the comments from some of the stronger playtesters sounded promising. Let us know what you think!

scotus
04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks, jrod. Quasi-Gut looks promising. Something I'd like to try out at some point.

ClubHoUno
04-30-2010, 04:23 PM

:shock: :shock:

Not possible and you should know so :)

corners
04-30-2010, 07:29 PM
:shock:

Not possible and you should know so :)

CRIPES, another vote for "Corners is a naive git!" Thanks man :cry:

But at least tell me what poly is your fav in a full job (if you ever use full jobs) :)

Murray_fan1
04-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Weiss Canon Turbo Twist, Signum Pro Hyperion and Genesis BM all have great feel for a poly.

ClubHoUno
04-30-2010, 09:02 PM
CRIPES, another vote for "Corners is a naive git!" Thanks man :cry:

But at least tell me what poly is your fav in a full job (if you ever use full jobs) :)

I never play full poly anymore.

But I will try some at VERY low tension this summer - probably RPM Blast 1.25 mains @ 40 lbs and Alu Power crosses @ 42 lbs and then probably BlackCode 1.18 mains@ 44 lbs and Silverstring 1.20 crosses @ 42 lbs

May also test Turbo Twist 1.18 mains and Silverstring 1.20 crosses.....

But I will also test RPM Blast 1.25 mains @ 46 lbs and X-One 1.18 crosses @ 50 lbs and RPM Blast 1.25 mains @ 44 lbs and X-One 1.24 crosses @ 48 lbs. So it will be a busy string testing summer for me :)

But you never get a better feel than VS Team 17 gut mains and Alu Power/Silverstring 1.20 poly crosses in my view and for MY game - it's heaven :D

If I were to pick a soft, good spinny great full poly set - I would probably pick one of these full poly jobs/full Poly hybrids:

1. WeissCannon Turbo Twist 1.18 mains - WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20 crosses

2. WeissCannon Turbo Twist 1.18 mains - Luxilon Alu Power 1.24 crosses

3. Babolat RPM Blast mains - Luxilon Alu Power 1.24 crosses

4. Babolat RPM Blast mains - Weisscannon Silverstring 1.20 crosses

corners
05-01-2010, 04:32 AM
If I were to pick a soft, good spinny great full poly set - I would probably pick one of these full poly jobs/full Poly hybrids:

1. WeissCannon Turbo Twist 1.18 mains - WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20 crosses

2. WeissCannon Turbo Twist 1.18 mains - Luxilon Alu Power 1.24 crosses

3. Babolat RPM Blast mains - Luxilon Alu Power 1.24 crosses

4. Babolat RPM Blast mains - Weisscannon Silverstring 1.20 crosses

I've got some Silverstring and Turbotwist and will surely try your #1 suggestion. Thanks.

Mdubb23
05-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Kirschbaum Pro Line II 1.18

dr325i
05-01-2010, 05:05 AM

etc

etc

etc

Completely agree with Drakulie: anything Genesis (SpinX, Black Magic, Typhoon...) is a nice, affordable and safe bet. SpinX is probably the best combo of them all, though I chose Black Magic as it allows me to hit more flat shots. I love the BM, especially after the initial hour or two. Soft, great feel, excellent tension holding/durability.

The biggest disappointment for me in the poly area was Black Code, too.

I have heard great things about Head Sonic Pro BLACK, too.

dr325i
05-01-2010, 05:06 AM

Great string too, though stiffer than the Genesis Black Magic, for example.

hoodjem
05-01-2010, 05:42 PM
I second this recommendation.

bachikho
05-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Head sonic pro
totally agree!