PDA

View Full Version : Stringing for a Pro Event...

MasturB
04-29-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm stringing for a Challenger Event this week... first time doing serious stringing (I work at a Pro-Shop where all the old people buy NXT and Sensation, but I string polys for myself and the juniors).

I'm kinda nervous. I've been stringing for 4 months now, but I've gotten it down to about 20 minutes with no distractions. However I'll be stringing for pros now and I'm just praying I don't screw up.

Anybody have any tips on how I should go about it? :twisted:

David123
04-29-2010, 09:00 AM
I can make a comparison to you although its a bit different. I posted a thread in the stringing machine sections asking if people were nervous the first time they strung for a customer. I guess your deal is a bit greater in the aspect that you're stringing for pros while i am waiting to string for my first few customers. I guess when you first start you're going to be nervous. However, if you're a good stringer then you won't get any complaints. After you get the few rackets done, in my opinion, the fear will not exist anymore.

Lambsscroll
04-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Stay sharp.

Standupnfall
04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
There is no reason to be nervous if you have mastered your equipment and the fundamentals.

drakulie
04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
MaturB, Congrats!!

Will you be stringing by yourself or will you have a help??? At an event like that, you could end up getting a few hundred frames in the first few days depending on the size.

Make sure to check and/or calibrate the machine you will be using each morning. Clean the machine, clamps, rails at the end of each day.

Get rest, and prepare mentally. Stringing for these events could be brutal on the fingers and feet. :)

You'll find that most will want their frames strung with full beds of poly.

Also, if you have a stringers digest, take one with you. You never know if you are going to get a frame with a weird pattern.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

gflyer
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Congratulations!
Don't be nervous you will be just fine.
...and good luck of course.

chrisplchs
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
so I'm assuming Savannah? Savannah isn't a bad draw but be prepared as this is an another level to anything you'll ever dealt with.

You'll basically string about three different frames:
Wilson 6.1 and Blade (more of the 18x20 than 16x18)
Head Prestige (Mid and MP distributed evenly)
Babolat APD and PD (against evenly distributed between the two even though stringing is the same for them)

There is no need for a digest as well, you won't get many "weird" frames and often times, the digest won't help you as there are quite a few frames that are different from what is shown.

150 frames for the entire week is a good week at a challenger for Men's.. expect about 75% of frames to strung between the first day of qualies and last day of first round of main draw so Saturday-Tuesday usually

drakulie
04-29-2010, 10:30 AM
^^I respectfully disagree about the Digest. You sometimes get these european/south american players who play with different frames than what we are use to seeing here (European Version of US Frames), and although one with experience could typically tell fairlly easily from sight how to string the frame, it is always to be safe than sorry. It doesn't hurt to have a digest on hand, especially considering the OP has only been stringing for 4 months, which is a bit odd a tournament of this caliber to have someone who is fairly new to stringing.

I agree with the rest of your post. Most frames will be the Head Mid/Mid Plus, Babolat APD and PD, and Wilson 6.1 and Blades.

Anyway, look forward to the OP's follow up of the tournament.

Autodidactic player
04-29-2010, 10:42 AM
1. Bring a bottle of Ibuprofen. All that standing might tend to tighten your back muscles. Nothing worse than having 10 rackets left for the night and a horrible back ache!

2. Put some new cushioned insoles in your shoes. You’ll appreciate the cushioning after 8-10 hours on your feet.

3. A couple of bottles of five hour energy or similar might be helpful if you tend to get drowsy or lose focus in the late afternoons or night.

Good Luck. Sounds to me like you’ll do a GREAT job.

chrisplchs
04-29-2010, 10:53 AM
rick,

true that there are some frames from europeans and south american players that would be listed in the digest but unsold in USA but rarely, if ever, will you have somebody in a challenger show up with a European version of a racquet that isn't made to look like a current model retail frame

Almost every frame I have ever seen is painted and/or made to look like something that is available in retail to US. Looking at the digest won't tell him how to string a 16x20 BLX 6.1 or a couple of the other frames guys use that are nothing at all like any retail frame released

Matt H.
04-29-2010, 10:54 AM
your fingers are going to bleed with the next generation of poly's that are now pentagon, hexagon, octagon, or whatever. lol

for the occaisonal lux/gut hybrid...be careful with the gut. You snap it, you're now looking at replacing it out of pocket most likely.

Matt H.
04-29-2010, 10:56 AM
it's not too difficult to see how a pattern should go.

for the mains, just look at the throat. If there are 3 pairs of holes in the throat, then you start the mains at the throat. If there are 4 pairs of holes in the throat, you start the mains at the top of the racquet.

Once you've got 5 or 6 mains done on each side of center, logic will dictate where the cross strings are because if you do it wrong the spacing will look really bad.

retlod
04-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Don't let the pit boss get to you.

MasturB
04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
MaturB, Congrats!!

Will you be stringing by yourself or will you have a help??? At an event like that, you could end up getting a few hundred frames in the first few days depending on the size.

Make sure to check and/or calibrate the machine you will be using each morning. Clean the machine, clamps, rails at the end of each day.

Get rest, and prepare mentally. Stringing for these events could be brutal on the fingers and feet. :)

You'll find that most will want their frames strung with full beds of poly.

Also, if you have a stringers digest, take one with you. You never know if you are going to get a frame with a weird pattern.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

I won't be the only stringer, but there will be 2 the entire week. I'm more of the on-site, day of, stringer. I will string emergency rackets that break, or rackets needed in an upcoming match. I will get as many rackets out of the way as I can for the guy who does it in the overnight.

MasturB
04-29-2010, 12:33 PM
so I'm assuming Savannah? Savannah isn't a bad draw but be prepared as this is an another level to anything you'll ever dealt with.

You'll basically string about three different frames:
Wilson 6.1 and Blade (more of the 18x20 than 16x18)
Head Prestige (Mid and MP distributed evenly)
Babolat APD and PD (against evenly distributed between the two even though stringing is the same for them)

There is no need for a digest as well, you won't get many "weird" frames and often times, the digest won't help you as there are quite a few frames that are different from what is shown.

150 frames for the entire week is a good week at a challenger for Men's.. expect about 75% of frames to strung between the first day of qualies and last day of first round of main draw so Saturday-Tuesday usually

Yeah this is the Savannah Challenger. Thanks for that advice... lol

MasturB
04-29-2010, 12:38 PM
your fingers are going to bleed with the next generation of poly's that are now pentagon, hexagon, octagon, or whatever. lol

for the occaisonal lux/gut hybrid...be careful with the gut. You snap it, you're now looking at replacing it out of pocket most likely.

LOL The gut part is definitely what I'm afraid of... I've snapped gut once, and that was just pulling from the machine pulling the tension where I had nothing to do with it.

I'm kinda used to stringing poly's now. There's been a few junior tournaments here, and a few tourneys for Wild Card entries into the Qualies for the challenger. Matter a fact, the first thing I did when I was training to string at my job, was buy a reel of poly and string my own racket probably 5 times in the first day.

My fingers hate poly's... but I've already come to terms that poly's will pretty much be the only thing I'll see this week. So I've psyched myself out to get ready for it, because I know I'm going to have to be focused for it.

Ash_Smith
04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Read this - very useful info in here

http://www.******************.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1244771997

Ash_Smith
04-29-2010, 01:58 PM
arse, those * are g-r-a-n-d-s-l-a-m-s-t-r-i-n-g-e-r-s

David123
04-29-2010, 04:57 PM
link doesn't exist? what is it?

Edit: i found the real link i think

http://www.g r a n d s l a m s t r i n g e r s.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1244771997

*remove spaces*

Ash_Smith
04-29-2010, 11:17 PM
^^^yep, that'll be the one!

kiteboard
04-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Your fingers are going to bleed. Your fingers are going to feel like you are 90 yrs. old and ache. Your back is going to be screaming. Don't forget to go up at an extreme angle when doing the crosses, and down at an extreme angle. Take the friction off the crosses by pre threading the first 10-11, with loops on the ends, about 2" loops, and use the awl to take the burn pressure off when pulling crosses, esp. near the sides, where burn points will break the mains. Spin the stick so that the stick is moving, not you, for each cross. Check your weaves so you don't miss any after each cross. For the players you like, ping out the mains so each has the same corresponding tone. 20 min. is fine. Make sure your finishing knots don't pull out.

MasturB
04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Strung 1 racket for Nikita Kryvonos, and 2 for Nick Monroe...

Kryvonos had 2 reels, 1 Solinco Tour Bite and 1 Solinco Vanquish... Vanquish almost feels exactly like NXT and the Bite felt like Lux.

Monroe uses Babalot Hybrid, Pro Hurricane Tour + Xcel. Strung at at 48 pounds on the electric machine... but it felt tighter. Uses Pure Storm Pro + and has a thin layer of lead tape on the crosses.

The other guys haven't come in yet... they're due in for practice courts later, but I won't be here the other stringer guy will take care of them for the night and i'll get leftovers in the morning.

lefty10spro
05-01-2010, 05:53 AM
I have strung for many pro events and you have received some great advice. To those of you who have done it - u really think 4 months of light stringing is enough preparation? I don't.

MasturB
05-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I have strung for many pro events and you have received some great advice. To those of you who have done it - u really think 4 months of light stringing is enough preparation? I don't.

Well I work at the shop for 3 hours on weekdays... and I have to string as much as I can. So I "rush" as fast as I can go without messing it up.

I don't get as much Poly's as the the soft stuff, but when there was junior tourneys and all the teens used poly's, I got a small taste of what was to come. I was doing 6 rackets in 2 hoursish but had a bunch of distractions (phone calls, customer service, etc).

genius24
05-01-2010, 08:51 PM
take some ritalin...you will string like you've never strung before.

David123
05-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Well I work at the shop for 3 hours on weekdays... and I have to string as much as I can. So I "rush" as fast as I can go without messing it up.

I don't get as much Poly's as the the soft stuff, but when there was junior tourneys and all the teens used poly's, I got a small taste of what was to come. I was doing 6 rackets in 2 hoursish but had a bunch of distractions (phone calls, customer service, etc).

Wow 6 rackets in 2hrs.. thats very impressive.

MasturB
05-03-2010, 07:49 PM
So... I strung Jan-Michael Gambill's racket today...

Uses just a regular poly, on an outdated Prince racket (no ports but huge headsize and a lot of tape) at 71 pounds...

Really cool guy. I know he's old and not what he used to, but he gave Kuznetsov a good fight for some of the match.

He didn't practice any so his timing was absolutely off.

drakulie
05-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the updates, MasturB.