PDA

View Full Version : Oversized rackets and string gauge

tennisINmyBLOOD
04-29-2010, 08:29 PM
If you've ever used an oversize racket, do you prefer it strung with thicker strings, or thinner strings? Is it just me or do 16 gauge strings on an oversize (107 sq in+) give a more solid feel? 17 gauge definitely bites the ball a bit better, but I don't use much spin in my game. 17 gauge strings feel a little too tinny... or hollow. I'm not sure how to describe it.

Any comments or feedback welcome.

HitItHarder
04-30-2010, 06:29 AM
My preference is to play as thin of a string as possible in the OS racquet while still getting decent durability out of it.

I use a slightly leaded Radical OS with an 18x19 pattern. I use a good bit of topspin from the baseline and prefer the spin potential of 17 to 17l strings. Plus I use full poly, so "feel" isn't all that great regardless of what I use.

kslick
04-30-2010, 07:22 AM
My preference is to play as thin of a string as possible in the OS racquet while still getting decent durability out of it.

I use a slightly leaded Radical OS with an 18x19 pattern. I use a good bit of topspin from the baseline and prefer the spin potential of 17 to 17l strings. Plus I use full poly, so "feel" isn't all that great regardless of what I use.

Just curious how do you have your OS leaded and what tension are you using.

Thanks.

HitItHarder
04-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Just curious how do you have your OS leaded and what tension are you using.

Thanks.

I have tried a lot of different setups and still play around with it from time to time. I like the flex of the MG Radical and the little extra power and forgiveness of the OS size frame. I play with a synthetic grip and one overgrip.

I have 4 grams of lead under the top bumper running around the top of the frame from 11 to 1. I also have 4 grams of lead inside the butt cap. I found I prefer the slightly "polarized" feel for topspin ground strokes and it didn't hurt my serve. It still can get pushed around a little with really heavy shots or off center shots, but I don't get a lot of that at my level.

I also tried putting more weight into the handle for the more traditional non-polarized set up. I had approximately 20 grams running uniformly from 7 inches above the butt cap to the bottom of the handle. It provided significantly more power and mass. I could really mash from the baseline and my volleys were very solid. However, the weight really hurt my serve and I would end up hitting late if a match started going into a third set. I decided my serve was too important so I backed off the weight and ended up where I am now.

To give you an idea of what my setup does to the specs:

Stock: (TW specs)
Weight - 315
Swing Weight - 318
Balance - 3 pts HL

My setup:
Weight - 328g (8 grams lead and 1 overgrip)
Swing weight - 332
Balance - 4 pts HL

For strings I usually use full poly. Either MSV Hex 1.10 at 52lbs or WC TurboTwist 1.18 at 54lbs.

Sorry for the thread jack.

kslick
04-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Yea I use the same racquet and probably for the same reasons. I went for the more polarized setup with a little at 3 and 9. I also added more in the butt cap to make it more HL. I think I'm at 9.2 HL.

As for the strings I'm using Genesis Typhoon mains with NRG2 X's. 55/57. But not sure if this all is the right setup. Thinking of going away from the different tensions and just doing the stringbed at one tenison. Also still working with the lead but I'm tired of adjusting and need to pick something and get use to it.

Sorry to the OP for high jacking. But OS talk might help in understanding.

Valjean
04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Well, it's interesting, then, that Wilson's NXT OS, designed for oversized racquets (it comes in a 46-foot length for that), is a 16L, isn't it?

HitItHarder
04-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Well, it's interesting, then, that Wilson's NXT OS, designed for oversized racquets (it comes in a 46-foot length for that), is a 16L, isn't it?

That is interesting. I checked the RSI review and that string gets very good reviews. I'll pick up a pack next time I order strings and see how I like it.

So far I have used the multis NXT, NRG2, X-One, FXP, FXP Power, and Alpha Gut 2000 in my racquets. The thinner sizes of those strings (17 and 18 didn't have very good durability and I tried the 16 size in most of them. All of them were pretty good strings. All have some advantages and disadvantages. But in the end, I just prefer the playing characteristics of polys over multis. I also have used ALU rough in the 16l and definately prefered it to any of the thicker size multis.

Once I started trying different polys, I just like the playability of the thinner poly strings. Maybe it is the string pattern. Maybe it is in my head. But thin polys are my string of choice.

Valjean
04-30-2010, 11:08 AM
NXT OS is overall an excellent string; holds tension well, excellent ball control, restrained power.

2handsbothsides
04-30-2010, 06:09 PM
If you have an open string pattern oversize and hit at a high level there is nothing like a 15L. A number of elite players used Prince Topspin with Duraflex 15L in a POG OS with superior results. Try it, you will be quite surprised at the control, feel and power.