PDA

View Full Version : UVA 2010 NCAA Champions?

nada.rafa.nada
04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
UVA is sitting on top of the NCAA rankings at #1!

What teams do people think will pose a legitimate challenge to UVA?

Jakes On A Plane
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM
The only two teams that could beat UVA are USC and Tennessee. Right now, a lot of people are saying the Vols are the best team in the country. They played great in the SEC tourney where UVA struggled a little more in the ACC. However, after the Cavs rest before Athens, it's gonna be hard to stop them. They play amazing singles and it's hard to get four points off of them.

UT always plays great doubles, but they are vulnerable at 4-6 singles. USC plays great doubles as well. Farah, Johnson, and Nguyen all seem to be almost unbeatable in singles play, but everybody else (McNaughton, Poldma, Lucassen,) seem to be pretty shaky at times.

UCLA and Texas are probably the closest after that, but I would not hold your breath if I were a Bruin or Longhorn fans.

Athens is gonna be legit in a few weeks.

chrisplchs
04-29-2010, 09:49 PM
In actuality, UVA has little chance of winning the NCAA team title. I would say, around less than 10%.

The surface at Athens is among the slowest in college tennis and does not favor a team that UVA whose team is made up of aggressive players who might not be in the best of shape.

kctennis1005
04-30-2010, 03:58 AM
In actuality, UVA has little chance of winning the NCAA team title. I would say, around less than 10%.

The surface at Athens is among the slowest in college tennis and does not favor a team that UVA whose team is made up of aggressive players who might not be in the best of shape.

haha this is a pretty funny statement....the UVA team works the hardest and is probably in the best shape of any team out there.....who on their team plays "aggressive"? i dont see any serve and volleyers in that lineup....most have somewhat big serves and are baseliners who can close when they need to.....drew courtney prob is the most aggressive of the starting 6 and even he stays back most of the time

duusoo
04-30-2010, 05:25 AM
Ohio State and Tenn. Both look really tough.

bluetrain4
04-30-2010, 07:20 AM
I'd agree with USC and Tennessee.

x Southpaw x
04-30-2010, 07:42 AM
uva plays a sick game, but it was kind of boring watching them play. I mean their game seem really textbook-y, didn't really see any flashy superweapons

Jakes On A Plane
04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
No team needs flashy superweapons to win championships. I don't really think they play a textbook type of tennis. Each player, 1-6, has their own winning way.

The last time UVA was in Athens, they made it to the semi-finals and played really close with UGA. That 2007 UGA team was probably one of the best teams in the history of college tennis, if not the best. UVA was the only team that year that even got close to beating them both at indoors and the NCAA's.

I don't think playing in Athens will affect them at all, and they are all in good shape. You don't hold onto the #1 ranking for months at time without being in shape.

chrisplchs
04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
I just showed some of these comments to a former UVA all-american and tour pro right now and he just laughed. He told me that they'll be #1 going in just like last year, but they won't win it, just like last year.

Kick_It
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
How about Texas?

Yeah UVA beat them earlier - but @ UVA, and playing NCAAs in Athens is not a home match...

myservenow
04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I think Tennessee has a real legit shot at winning it all. They lost to UVA during the Indoor finals in a close match. From what I understand, UVA is killer indoors, but UT may have the advantage outdoors.

UT also has a strong revenge factor should they meet UVA again in the NCAAs.

What is the schedule for the NCAAs in Athens? It is at the end of May right? When are the finals?

Fedace
04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry but UVA is no threat to win. they choke in NCAA tournament every year. Favorites will be USC and Stanford, two most mentally tough team in top 10 today.

chrisplchs
04-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Top three teams to win at NCAA this year are Tennessee, Texas, and USC. You also have to look at the draw and NCAA is almost always a straight S-curve (1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14 etc) from the ITA rankings. Also, individual matchups will dictate how teams perform as the surface favors teams with players that can grind out wins

DownTheLine
04-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Stanford=NCAA CHAMPS

Jakes On A Plane
04-30-2010, 07:25 PM
The overall field of teams is great. Every team is going to step it and hopefully put on a great show for the fans. Round of 64 and 32 matches will take place May 14th through 16th at various regional sites. Round of 16 starts Friday May 1st in Athens and the team final is Tuesday May 25th.

Stanford WON'T win the NCAA's! They don't have the depth. The 3 best teams in the nation are UVA, Tennessee, and USC. One of these teams is going to walk away with the hardware. All teams have their weaknesses while some have more significant ones (i.e. Stanford). Texas and UCLA have the best chances outside of those 3.

It's sad that a former UVA All American can say that about his alma mater. Was he around when Boland was coaching?

mutantducky
04-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I am SHOCKED I tells ya's that Fedace picked Stanford.

jaggy
05-01-2010, 02:59 AM
As long as an ohio state school doesnt win it I dont care

andfor
05-01-2010, 08:00 AM
I was the first here to pick the Vols and I'm sticking with it!

duusoo
05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
As long as an ohio state school doesnt win it I dont careWhat is this all about? They will win the Big 10, and have one of the better chances of winning it all. GO BUCKS

Don't Let It Bounce
05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I saw UVa last week at the ACC Championships, and they were impressive. Shabaz at #1 singles is a fairly aggressive baseliner, but not overly so by D1 standards, and I would expect him to be very comfortable on a slower hard court. They have a big guy whose name escapes me who is definitely aggressive: played #1 doubles and was one of the top 4 singles, very aggressive, nice net game. Again, unless Athens is being played on red clay, I wouldn't think it a major factor.

Shabaz cramped up in the finals against Duke's Cunha (who has a beautiful game, btw), and last year's team underachieved in the NCAA tournament, but neither fact by itself is sufficient to declare this year's team as a whole under-conditioned or mentally weak. But, there are a lot of good players and teams out there, so certainly a #1 ranking is no lock on winning any given tournament.

stanfordtennis alum
05-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Stanford=NCAA CHAMPS

unfortunately, I do not see this happening...if they make the quarterfinals, I would be surprised

Fedace
05-01-2010, 11:48 AM
unfortunately, I do not see this happening...if they make the quarterfinals, I would be surprised

We need more people like you in the stands in our home matches....Just to take away some pressure of playing at home. Make sure you keep doubting. ok ?

Joeyg
05-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Our stands??? I have been to 3 or 4 home matches and have yet to see you playing, doctor.

Next year, I am having a tee shirt made that will say, "Where is Fedace?". I will try and post a picture of me in it in front of the tennis stadium.

andfor
05-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Our stands??? I have been to 3 or 4 home matches and have yet to see you playing, doctor.

Next year, I am having a tee shirt made that will say, "where is Fedace". I will try and post a picture of me in it in front of the tennis stadium.

Just get in front of the webcam and let us know when you'll be there. It will be the second time I'll have ever watched a Standford match. The last time was Standford against Can't Remeber U. What I do remember was Alex Clayton cheating some guy on match point.

johnkidd
05-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Next year, I am having a tee shirt made that will say, "where is Fedace". I will try and post a picture of me in it in front of the tennis stadium.

That would rock...if you do we need pictures.

What's impressive is Fedace has been keeping the Standford fanboy stuff going since the '06-07' season. And the fact I still find the posts hillarious,

Ambivalent
05-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Jarmere Jenkins is a beast...

Jakes On A Plane
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
FACT:

Bears, beats,...Jarmere Jenkins.

ClarkC
05-04-2010, 08:03 PM
FACT:

Bears, beats,...Jarmere Jenkins.

You might try communicating again when you are sober.

Jakes On A Plane
05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
You might try communicating again when you are sober.

I'm totally sober, and Jarmere is the man. What better way to show it than through and Office quote.

Tennismanly93
05-07-2010, 05:29 AM
UVA has a good chance as long as they dont choke as before, last three years theyve been number 1 and or 2 and havent won a title, i believe the last 3 years theyve had the best talent as well

Tennis_Crazed
05-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, in "May Madness" anything can happen!

Tough to say that only 1 or 2 teams have a legitimate chance of willing the tournament, because lets be honest, on any given day, any of the top 10 or even 15 ranked teams can beat another top 10 team...so i'd say any of the top 10 teams have a decent chance of winning

10isRocs
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Well, in "May Madness" anything can happen!

Tough to say that only 1 or 2 teams have a legitimate chance of willing the tournament, because lets be honest, on any given day, any of the top 10 or even 15 ranked teams can beat another top 10 team...so i'd say any of the top 10 teams have a decent chance of winning

Funny you said "willing", know you meant winning but it is all about attitude and sometimes "willing" will get you farther than you think!

caesar66
05-18-2010, 08:43 AM
I've got Tennessee taking USC out in the Finals. I don't consider the ACC a particularly strong conference next to the SEC and Pac-10. I think UVA takes out Stanford in the quarters and SC takes out UVA in semis, with TN taking out TX in the other semi.

andfor
05-18-2010, 09:06 AM
I've got Tennessee taking USC out in the Finals. I don't consider the ACC a particularly strong conference next to the SEC and Pac-10. I think UVA takes out Stanford in the quarters and SC takes out UVA in semis, with TN taking out TX in the other semi.

I like your call! I've predicted the Vols will win months ago. They are very strong from #'s 1-8, singles and doubles.

ClarkC
05-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Virginia comes up short again. This time, the doubles play deteriorated. Got away with losing the doubles point against UCLA, but not against USC. Some tough matches, and USC took 2 of the 3 singles tiebreakers, in 3 different matches, and each of the 3 matches went the same direction as the tiebreaker went.

A long wait for another shot at a title, this time in Palo Alto.

myservenow
05-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Go Big Orange! That is all.

Fedace
05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Virginia comes up short again. This time, the doubles play deteriorated. Got away with losing the doubles point against UCLA, but not against USC. Some tough matches, and USC took 2 of the 3 singles tiebreakers, in 4 different matches, and each of the 3 matches went the same direction as the tiebreaker went.

A long wait for another shot at a title, this time in Palo Alto.

Title at Palo Alto will be ours for the Taking......Noone can stop the cardinal in 2011. :)

ClarkC
05-25-2010, 04:51 AM
Title at Palo Alto will be ours for the Taking......Noone can stop the cardinal in 2011. :)

Is Noone back on the team?

Joeyg
05-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Is Noone back on the team?

I believe Noone is a friend of Destiny!

TourTenor
05-25-2010, 08:24 AM
This prediction is an automatic post for you every year after Stanford fails.:lol:
Come on Feddie ... 'You can't be serious.':rolleyes:
You define the word fanboy!

TourTenor
05-25-2010, 03:43 PM
or, perhaps, Fedace is referring to the women's team??:wink: