PDA

View Full Version : Best way to acclomate to poly?

johndagolfer
04-30-2010, 07:37 PM
I love the feel of poly. My first was Pro Hurricane, I switched to SpinX. I love the feel, the pocketing. However, my arm doesn't love it too much. After a fresh restring(stupidly I did break it in before my match today) my arm started tingly after the first set. Is there a recommended way to work up to using poly at a higher tension?

I currently am using Spin X mains at 57, with Gosen Micro at 59. They are both 17g. The same thing happened with the pro hurricane but after a couple of weeks I had no problems with the arm. Do you think that the Hurricane loosened, and that I should start off at a lower tension?

Thanks

bee
05-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I've been playing with natural gut for a number of years. Tried the APDC with Luxilon Big Banger Rough at 60#. It was great for spin, but my wrist eventually hurt. Went back to natural gut in PT280's at 52#.

Just recently, after reading the discussion here on very low tensions, I tried Luxilon Big Banger rough at 40# in my Vantage 95. It feels really good! Good spin and power with just a moderate tendency to spray balls (like with gut). It's very comfortable, yet I am getting much of the Luxilon benefits with good bite and spin.

I've hit some of my best forehands ever with this setup. On serves I'm not getting quite as much power as with the gut, but I'm getting better spin with the resultant control and angles. Right now, I'm having one of my PT 280's strung with the same string at 40#.

So, yes, try a much lower tension with your synthetic strings.

Good luck with it. And, remember that tennis can be a life long sport, so you want to take care of your body and not play with any setup that is harmful.