PDA

View Full Version : Pros still using PC600 or frames derived there of?...

Ross K
05-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Now Safin has gone are there any other top pro's still using PC600 or PC600 derivitive mids?

Thanks,

R.

OliverSimon
05-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Acasuso used to play with a PC600 or a Pro Stock prestige.
Monfils used a PC600.
Schuettler uses a Pro Stock Prestige Mid.

Ross K
05-29-2010, 12:44 AM
I know Dimitrov used the PC600 until recently...

Any others though?...

I find it hard to believe there aren't more users of this legendary frame (or derivitive frames there of)...:confused:

R.

vsbabolat
05-29-2010, 03:38 AM

Any others though?...

I find it hard to believe there aren't more users of this legendary frame (or derivitive frames there of)...:confused:

R.

Dimitrov had used the MG Prestige Mid.
Rainer Schuettler
Sloane Stephens
Daniel Koellerer
Agustin Calleri
Marat Safin
Thomas Enqvist
Robin Haase

v205
05-29-2010, 04:13 AM
PC600 mold copies:

- KBlade Tour
- Black Ace 93
- ?

Ross K
05-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Dimitrov had used the MG Prestige Mid.
Rainer Schuettler
Sloane Stevenson
Daniel Koellerer
Agustin Calleri
Marat Safin
Thomas Enqvist
Robin Haase

Cheers vs... do wonder though if there will be any new pros seen wielding it in the next few years or if the frame has had its day?:(

vsbabolat
05-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Cheers vs... do wonder though if there will be any new pros seen wielding it in the next few years or if the frame has had its day?:(

Well Sloane Stephens is a girl and a up and comer on the WTA Tour.

jaskasm
05-29-2010, 01:27 PM
PC600 mold copies:

- KBlade Tour
- Black Ace 93
- ?

I <3 the KBlade Tour. Just sayin.

Ross K
05-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Acasuso used to play with a PC600 or a Pro Stock prestige.
Monfils used a PC600.
Schuettler uses a Pro Stock Prestige Mid.

Yes, and you just know his custom Reb 95 has to play so much like the PC600 he played, it's sure to have very little in common with the Prince and a heck of a lot in common with his old Head rack!:wink:

crosscourt
05-31-2010, 07:35 AM
I can' belive that there will be more than a handful playing with 93 square inch and less heads in a few years time. Federer obviously does, Verdasco seems to at the moment. Calleri and Acasuso are nowhere to be seen. Whenever I see a junior tournament the kids all seem to be beating the hell out of the ball mostly with 95 to 98 square inch rackets, some with 100 square inch racket heads. Nobody spends a lot of time at the net. Even players like Cilic who come through the juniors with a smaller headed stick give it up when then they have to step up.

dennis1188
05-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Tomas Berdych's current Dunlop frame would be very close to the PC 600.

Hidious
06-01-2010, 12:57 AM
I can' belive that there will be more than a handful playing with 93 square inch and less heads in a few years time. Federer obviously does, Verdasco seems to at the moment.

Even players like Cilic who come through the juniors with a smaller headed stick give it up when then they have to step up.
I'm pretty ssure Verdasco plays with a 97" or 98" depending on who you ask.

What was Cilic playing with before he switch?
Tomas Berdych's current Dunlop frame would be very close to the PC 600.
Berdych plays with a Head Radical 16x19, doesn't he?

Ross K
06-01-2010, 01:50 AM
^^^ Yes, what is Berdych's present frame exactly? And what has he used previously?

Re Dimitrov, very disappointed such an exciting prospect recently switched from the MG Pres mid...:(

vsbabolat
06-01-2010, 05:18 AM
I can' belive that there will be more than a handful playing with 93 square inch and less heads in a few years time. Federer obviously does, Verdasco seems to at the moment. Calleri and Acasuso are nowhere to be seen. Whenever I see a junior tournament the kids all seem to be beating the hell out of the ball mostly with 95 to 98 square inch rackets, some with 100 square inch racket heads. Nobody spends a lot of time at the net. Even players like Cilic who come through the juniors with a smaller headed stick give it up when then they have to step up.

Cilic uses a Wilson N6.1 95 18x20 in the juniors. His current HEAD Radical MP is the same headsize as hi old Wlison.
Photo of Cilic when he won the 2005 Junior French Open
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Marion_Cilic_2005_Roland_Garros.jpg

vsbabolat
06-01-2010, 05:20 AM
^^^ Yes, what is Berdych's present frame exactly? And what has he used previously?

Re Dimitrov, very disappointed such an exciting prospect recently switched from the MG Pres mid...:(

Berdych uses the YT Radical MP with 16x19 string pattern. When he was at Dunlop he used the same MOLD as Blake and the Aerogel 4D 300 Tour. A 97 or 98 sq.in frame.

Buckethead
06-01-2010, 08:50 AM

Any others though?...

R.
Dimitrov is a wilson BLX 61 tour now.

crosscourt
06-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Cilic uses a Wilson N6.1 95 18x20 in the juniors. His current HEAD Radical MP is the same headsize as hi old Wlison.
Photo of Cilic when he won the 2005 Junior French Open
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Marion_Cilic_2005_Roland_Garros.jpg

At one point he was using the Tour 90, but maybe he changed around even back then.

cc

baseline_monster
06-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Safin did use the PC600 but changed to an actualy microgel for the last year. He has had a few rackets done by P1 with the new Youtek cosmetic for when he plays now

michielD
06-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Marat still uses the PC600 ;) he never switched to the microgel frame only to the mircogel cosmetics. Look at the typical plastic "thing" at the top of his grip

michielD
06-02-2010, 09:02 AM
http://www.p1tennis.com/files/images/DSC01417.JPG

look at the top of the grip ;)

vsbabolat
06-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Marat still uses the PC600 ;) he never switched to the microgel frame only to the mircogel cosmetics. Look at the typical plastic "thing" at the top of his grip

That plastic collar can be easily put on any HEAD 600cm2 Frame. It is not part of the racquet. It slides up the hairpin into place and the you put the pallet on. You can do that to your YT Prestige Mid or MG Prestige Mid if you have the parts.
Safin did really switch to the MG Prestige Mid.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Safin_2009_Davis_cup.jpg

Ross K
06-02-2010, 12:47 PM
That plastic collar can be easily put on any HEAD 600cm2 Frame. It is not part of the racquet. It slides up the hairpin into place and the you put the pallet on. You can do that to your YT Prestige Mid or MG Prestige Mid if you have the parts.
Safin did really switch to the MG Prestige Mid.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Safin_2009_Davis_cup.jpg

vs, others,

Any other info or details confirming/contradicting this interesting subject matter?

R.

vsbabolat
06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
vs, others,

Any other info or details confirming/contradicting this interesting subject matter?

R.

I thought I just confirmed it with TGK237.1........................:confused:

Ross K
06-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Okay, sorry, can't quite make that serial no. on my small screen... any other info though relating to Safin playing with the actual MG Prest mid (like how long he played it and which year, customization/string info, etc) - gratefully received!

vsbabolat
06-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Is seems that Schuettler switched to the TGK237.2 I count 16x19.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Schuettler_2010_Queens.jpg

jayserinos99
06-17-2010, 09:47 AM
^ vsbab, any word on a yt pres mid 16x19?

Pioneer
06-17-2010, 09:58 AM

You can put a plastic collar on any prestige bro.

Now I have an interesting question for all:

Why do midsize players use lower swingweights than MP users? Safin's varies between 335-350, Federer's is 340, etc

johnnymacfan
06-19-2010, 06:56 AM
The reason fewer and fewer players are using this racquet is because the frame is 15+ years old and none of today's player's grew up playing with it, save Dmitrov. Every company that was interested in signing him (including Wilson, who he has signed with), has done everything in their power to clone this racquet. My sources say he actually liked the Dunlop version best, but his idolatry for Federer was too much to overcome.

Rockitdog
06-19-2010, 07:40 AM
If there was a constant top 5 or 10 ranked player using PC600s, etc. or I think you'd see more of them but since there isn't one you see more of the Tour 90s and such. People are such copy cats they use whatever they see their fav top ranked player using.

Pioneer
06-19-2010, 07:50 AM
The reason fewer and fewer players are using this racquet is because the frame is 15+ years old and none of today's player's grew up playing with it, save Dmitrov. Every company that was interested in signing him (including Wilson, who he has signed with), has done everything in their power to clone this racquet. My sources say he actually liked the Dunlop version best, but his idolatry for Federer was too much to overcome.

It's old but there still are "updated" prestige mids that go into production every 2-3 years yet nobody is using them :(

baseline_monster
06-19-2010, 07:51 AM

That means nothing, that can be added to any prestige frame, he changed, its a known fact.

vsbabolat
06-19-2010, 08:30 AM
It's old but there still are "updated" prestige mids that go into production every 2-3 years yet nobody is using them :(

People still use them like Calleri, Roitman, Koellerer, and a very few low level guys. There has been a big push to get guys off the PC600. Dimitrov used the MG Prestige Mid. Before that Dimitrov was using the Pro Tour 630 or as people fell better calling it here PT57A.

Dimitrov with Pro Tour 630 and FXP Radical PJ
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Dimitrov_1.jpg

Dimitrov with MG Prestige Mid
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Dimitrov_2009_Boca_Futures.jpg

vsbabolat
06-19-2010, 08:32 AM

Actually the PC600 dates back to 1986. It had a nicer paint job and went by the name Prestige Pro.

baseline_monster
06-19-2010, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=vsbabolat;4778691]Actually the PC600 dates back to 1986. It had a nicer paint job and went by the name Prestige Pro.[/QUOTE

Is the quality and feel just better on the older and pro stock prestiges? Would love to try one to see the difference. The older players it makes sence they still use it as it was what was around when they were growing up. But when you hear players like Donald Young are using a real old model it makes you think why and who got them to use it.

Pioneer
06-19-2010, 09:22 AM
People still use them like Calleri, Roitman, Koellerer, and a very few low level guys. There has been a big push to get guys off the PC600. Dimitrov used the MG Prestige Mid. Before that Dimitrov was using the Pro Tour 630 or as people fell better calling it here PT57A.

Dimitrov with Pro Tour 630 and FXP Radical PJ
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Dimitrov_1.jpg

Dimitrov with MG Prestige Mid
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Dimitrov_2009_Boca_Futures.jpg

VSB, you can request a 237.1 with the same materials, layup, weight, balance, etc. as a retail Prestige Classic, right? Oh, one more thing - is it true that from next year there will be no more PTs and Austrian factories but instead TGKs for everyone?

Pioneer
06-19-2010, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=vsbabolat;4778691]Actually the PC600 dates back to 1986. It had a nicer paint job and went by the name Prestige Pro.[/QUOTE

Is the quality and feel just better on the older and pro stock prestiges? Would love to try one to see the difference. The older players it makes sence they still use it as it was what was around when they were growing up. But when you hear players like Donald Young are using a real old model it makes you think why and who got them to use it.

The old models were better because they were higher quality. My theory is that guys like Donald Young who weren't even born when the old frames came out were introduced to the older models by their coaches or picked up a certain off-the-shelf model and then, when they became sponsored players, were able to playtest and pick out the older models

vsbabolat
06-19-2010, 09:32 AM
VSB, you can request a 237.1 with the same materials, layup, weight, balance, etc. as a retail Prestige Classic, right? Oh, one more thing - is it true that from next year there will be no more PTs and Austrian factories but instead TGKs for everyone?

No, TGK237.1=MG Prestige Mid. TGK237.3=YT Prestige Mid. I don't know when the end will come.

Pioneer
06-19-2010, 09:47 AM
No, TGK237.1=MG Prestige Mid. TGK237.3=YT Prestige Mid. I don't know when the end will come.

Oh, so the 237.1 and pt10 are a different mold. Sorry if I'm wasting your time but if, hypothetically, a 237.1 got the same lay-up and materials as a pc10 and got absolutely the same setup, would the slightly different mold result in much different playing characteristics?

Virginia
07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Actually the PC600 dates back to 1986. It had a nicer paint job and went by the name Prestige Pro.
You haven't lived until you've played with this frame - it is simply amazing in every way!

RacquetCraft
07-14-2010, 05:37 AM

VS, at least it's comforting to know that you're not one of those doomsday theorists..LOL

But that day is coming....but only Head knows and as it's loyal disciples, you will have to be patient and wait for their message to descend upon you...LOL

Actually, the Pro Room will likely keep producing PT57's as long as they have to. But it is extremely limited access. You guys (the mere mortals of the world) won't be seeing them anytime soon...that train has left the station.

cheers,

Racquetcraft

Harry_Wild
01-21-2011, 01:28 PM
"PT57 I heard are very hard to come by."

I don't know why these manufacturers have to come up with different rackets specs that are not used by the actual tour pro just to sell to their retail base when the retail base is trying to get the hard to obtain rackets that the tour players are actually using and are willing to pay an arm and a leg for. Logic would dictate that they just intro the frame that is being use by the tour players and sell it to the retail base. I find this quite silly! What type of marketing is this? Insane! Who is fooling who? Is this the way to make money when the retail base is willing to pay $500 for a new PC600 frame just to be able to say the play with the same racket as ???? tour player?

Gorecki
01-21-2011, 01:37 PM

I don't know why these manufacturers have to come up with different rackets specs that are not used by the actual tour pro just to sell to their retail base when the retail base is trying to get the hard to obtain rackets that the tour players are actually using and are willing to pay an arm and a leg for. Logic would dictate that they just intro the frame that is being use by the tour players and sell it to the retail base. I find this quite silly! What type of marketing is this? Insane! Who is fooling who? Is this the way to make money when the retail base is willing to pay $500 for a new PC600 frame just to be able to say the play with the same racket as ???? tour player?

im not so sure. you see! when i play with my Joachim Johansson former owned RDS 001 i notice my game is much less powerfull, much less penetrating than "similar" stock frames, such as the bb 11 mid or the stock fxp rad 630....

it would seem as if i extract less form it than other frames

so imho, all these people paying a leg and a arm to get a genuine fed\nad\soderling.... frame would most likely end up like me, using them for conventional fooling around and showing off and using other retail, lighter and more "usable" for more competitive play.

Harry_Wild
01-21-2011, 01:45 PM
im not so sure. you see! when i play with my Joachim Johansson former owned RDS 001 i notice my game is much less powerfull, much less penetrating than "similar" stock frames, such as the bb 11 mid or the stock fxp rad 630....

it would seem as if i extract less form it than other frames

so imho, all these people paying a leg and a arm to get a genuine fed\nad\soderling.... frame would most likely end up like me, using them for conventional fooling around and showing off and using other retail, lighter and more "usable" for more competitive play.

So what you are saying is that the racket manufacturers produces a racket for the retail base that is better suited for their skill level but the tour pros are using older racket technology that they feel are either more friendly to their skill level or just are use to the racket and will not give it up to new technology and their endorsement is a "big lie" since they do not really use that racket; it only looks like that racket!

I think that is pretty complex marketing plan. A lot bait and switch here. I guess it is buyer beware! I think some body should offer the exact racket that a particular tour pro uses and sell it at a good retail price like $500 to $800 a racket. I know a lot of high school players and other amateurs have a wanting for such rackets. In the case of hight school players - their parents would like nothing better then to deliver such a racket on the childs birthday or holiday as that one and only gift that the kid is wanting for since they began playing tennis.

Gorecki
01-21-2011, 03:48 PM
So what you are saying is that the racket manufacturers produces a racket for the retail base that is better suited for their skill level but the tour pros are using older racket technology that they feel are either more friendly to their skill level or just are use to the racket and will not give it up to new technology and their endorsement is a "big lie" since they do not really use that racket; it only looks like that racket!

I think that is pretty complex marketing plan. A lot bait and switch here. I guess it is buyer beware! I think some body should offer the exact racket that a particular tour pro uses and sell it at a good retail price like $500 to $800 a racket. I know a lot of high school players and other amateurs have a wanting for such rackets. In the case of hight school players - their parents would like nothing better then to deliver such a racket on the childs birthday or holiday as that one and only gift that the kid is wanting for since they began playing tennis.

well. i dont see it soo much as a marketing hoax (plan if you want to call it that way). being a marketerr myself, i can say we tend to serve the retail with what suits their needs better (im talking about ERP softwares here) while using ourselves a much more developed and complex system that would become excessively complex to the common user.

im not sure my comparison is the best. but one thing i agree with you. if they started promoting a "really really real Federer" frame, it would sell like muffins, but then again it would render the "exclusivity" null and lower the 800$ price to nothing much different form a higher end frame...

my 2 cents to this thread...

Povl Carstensen
01-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Well they did promote a really really real Roger Federer racket, the K90.

Gorecki
01-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Well they did promote a really really real Roger Federer racket, the K90.

now that you mention, Federer is not the best example, since he uses a customized stock frame! but you get my drift right?

TennisD
01-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Because only a very small percentage of that retail base actually knows anything about pro stock racquets (i.e. the number of people who would purchase these is completely insignificant), and an even smaller perecentage of that already miniscule number would be able to use these racquets effectively. So even if a company could whip up enough desire/cash-flow from customers for a limited production run of a "tour-spec" frame, the vast majority of these customers probably wouldn't like the end product because they wouldn't know what to do with it. Of course there are exceptions (Head's recent run of PC600s sold here at TW), but for the most part the reason you can't get a pro-stock PT57 is because you really, really don't need one.

TennisD
01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
At one point he was using the Tour 90, but maybe he changed around even back then.

cc
No, he wasn't.

Is seems that Schuettler switched to the TGK237.2 I count 16x19.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Schuettler_2010_Queens.jpg
Potentially, but I've also seen PC600s (or PT10s, whatever) with 16x19 patterns, so it really could be either.

vsbabolat
01-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Potentially, but I've also seen PC600s (or PT10s, whatever) with 16x19 patterns, so it really could be either.

Really??? I have never seen a PC600 with a 16x19 string pattern. The first Prestige Mid I have seen with a 16x19 is the TGK237.2. Who are a couple of the players that used the PC600 with 16x19?

TennisD
01-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Really??? I have never seen a PC600 with a 16x19 string pattern. The first Prestige Mid I have seen with a 16x19 is the TGK237.2. Who are a couple of the players that used the PC600 with 16x19?
I don't know whether or not anyone actually uses it, but I've tested both a PT10 and a TKGwhatever with 16x19. The concensus was that the PT10 didn't really work all that well in 16x19, so I doubt anyone on tour actively uses it, but at least one such frame did exist.

Pioneer
01-22-2011, 11:01 AM
The 18x20 in the PC600 is meant to give you more control with full gut.