PDA

View Full Version : broke my first set of strings today!

autumn_leaf
05-01-2010, 09:34 AM
so after 6 years of playing I finally broke my first stringbed.note that i usually cut out the strings when they start moving around a lot and i start spraying shots.

my facebook status currently reads:

broke my first set of strings today! losing this part of my innocense was a fleeting experience, leaving me with little to remember by XD!

lol. i just wanted to share my this with my fellow TT community. i was deciding if i wanted to cut the strings out a month ago because i was playing crappily, but decided to suck it up because it was probably just me. and it was, today i was destroying 70% of the sitters where as i usually shank like 70% of them into the fence. few mishits, and anything short to my forehand got punished. Unfortunately one shanked forehand return serve ended this racquet's play for the rest of the match.

the strings i had in the racquet was Pro Supex Spiral Flex @ 61lbs that I strung up probably in late September. it probably had around 40+ hrs of playing time on it. i know many people on this board could've broke this string in around 2-10 hrs, but i'm not that consistent with my shots and this was proven when looking at the stringbed. the entire bed of strings was notched half way through on almost cross section. yikes.... hopefully it'll be more concentrated next time.

i have a bed of lux alu m/ vs gut x that came with my used racquet (wilson kfive) that feels pretty good (a lot softer than i thought it would be, first natural gut of any kinda i hit with, hope i don't get addicted to it, cause i can't afford it lol). though it was strung around August of last year there's hardly any wear on it. wonder how long it will take me to break this set up.

Austinthecity
05-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Congrats. =]

I wish I had to cut out strings... would save me a bit of money.

mikeler
05-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Congrats. =]

When you start breaking them every 2 or 3 matches, you won't get as excited!

pvaudio
05-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Well, I'll give you this: I've never broken a poly string. Multi filament, however...that's another story. I play multi's until they become like cotton:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/416/img0057iwe.jpg

My go-to multi of choice: NRG2 17.

pvaudio
05-01-2010, 09:58 AM
When multi's get frayed like that they play OH so good. Soft like a multi, but bite like a freakin snapping turtle :lol:

pvaudio
05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Oh and just for the record: spiral flex is a pretty durable syn gut, so don't feel too bad. If you were using something like GSG, Forten Sweet or Sheep Micro, then you might have a problem if it takes you 40 hrs :)

David123
05-01-2010, 10:09 AM
haha grats! two strings at once lol

autumn_leaf
05-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Oh and just for the record: spiral flex is a pretty durable syn gut, so don't feel too bad. If you were using something like GSG, Forten Sweet or Sheep Micro, then you might have a problem if it takes you 40 hrs :)

Well I did play og micro before, usually cut those out because they started feeling dull after a while. My friend broke the micro in 2 sets (2hrs).

Also. Score in the match was 6-1 2-6 6-3

JavierP.R
05-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Congratulations! Your life just became a little bit more expensive!

pvaudio
05-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Well I did play og micro before, usually cut those out because they started feeling dull after a while. My friend broke the micro in 2 sets (2hrs).

I'm not surprised. It's a fairly stiff string, but it is my favorite syn gut. I don't even carry PSGD or GSG since they both play like crap when compared to OG Micro and Forten Sweet (the two best syn guts money can buy, IMO).

I wanna go play tennis now so badly, but there's no courts open :cry:

pvaudio
05-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Telling you, NRG2 in an AG100 at 62lbs is probably my favorite non-poly setup. It freaking bites the ball like a lion. However, I do use fully poly now and I cannot even believe a full bed of Spiky Shark 17 at 60/60. So soft, yet so much spin!

genius24
05-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Congrats. =]

congrats. i wish i had to cut strings too.:)

pvaudio
05-01-2010, 11:52 AM
congrats. i wish i had to cut strings too.:)
OMG I was exactly the same way. I was so envious and thought that it was so cool that players hit so hard that they broke their strings! Now I play full poly so that I don't end up forking over 10+ bucks for a great set of multi for each of my 4 frames :???:

autumn_leaf
05-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Aww. Don't feel bad guys, hey if ya want we can trade our tennis skills and you won't have problems with breaking strings at all (well at this rate you'll have to deal with it once or maybe even twice a year lol) .

As for being more expensive, I bought a lot of reels because I string for the local teams, each stringing cost me around $4 + 1hr of time. I would prolly save more money if I waited to break a string, no more excuses, the strings aren't dead, it's me!! Well maybe except for poly, the spiral flex played well till the end though, maybe a weird pinging noise when just bouncing the ball, but still a solid thud when striking a ball.

autumn_leaf
05-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Double post.

pvaudio
05-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Aww. Don't feel bad guys, hey if ya want we can trade our tennis skills and you won't have problems with breaking strings at all (well at this rate you'll have to deal with it once or maybe even twice a year lol) .

As for being more expensive, I bought a lot of reels because I string for the local teams, each stringing cost me around $4 + 1hr of time. I would prolly save more money if I waited to break a string, no more excuses, the strings aren't dead, it's me!! Well maybe except for poly, the spiral flex played well till the end though, maybe a weird pinging noise when just bouncing the ball, but still a solid thud when striking a ball.Spiral flex is a very unique syn gut, I'll give you that. Put it in a cross with Cyber Blue or MSV Hex and any frame looks menacing. :twisted:

mikeler
05-01-2010, 01:23 PM

I broke the og micro 17g after 14 games. That is a record for me.

pvaudio
05-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I broke the og micro 17g after 14 games. That is a record for me.Personal record for me is breaking Laserfibre Supernatural Gut Pro Stock after 15 minutes during the warmup. Now, the string isn't that durable, but that's ****ing pathetic since it snapped on the main 2 from the center (not at a grommet or knot). Had I strung it, I would have assumed that it broke from my error, but it was the last set of string that I had strung externally, and considering the person who did it (the girl who strings for the Purdue women's team and half the men's team) is...experienced, I'm blaming string error/defect because no one is that talented. Previous record was a set of GSG 18 done after a set and a service game (Dunlop 300G HM, strung at 63) back in early high school.

karophiteblu
05-01-2010, 02:31 PM

haha i broke 3 at once. and every other string was broken. these were luxilon alu power spin after like 3 weeks. and it took 1 shot lol
as u can see...http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs176.snc1/6640_105798293753_714533753_2042795_5157023_n.jpg

baek57
05-01-2010, 02:35 PM
When multi's get frayed like that they play OH so good. Soft like a multi, but bite like a freakin snapping turtle :lol:

That's only because you're stringing too tight to begin with.

mikeler
05-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Personal record for me is breaking Laserfibre Supernatural Gut Pro Stock after 15 minutes during the warmup. Now, the string isn't that durable, but that's ****ing pathetic since it snapped on the main 2 from the center (not at a grommet or knot). Had I strung it, I would have assumed that it broke from my error, but it was the last set of string that I had strung externally, and considering the person who did it (the girl who strings for the Purdue women's team and half the men's team) is...experienced, I'm blaming string error/defect because no one is that talented. Previous record was a set of GSG 18 done after a set and a service game (Dunlop 300G HM, strung at 63) back in early high school.

I've broken it during a warm up, but that was a stringer error (not me). I have been doing my own stringing for 2 years now so I know my work is fine.

pheonix6579
05-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Congrates on popping your cherry!

Mansewerz
05-01-2010, 09:45 PM
pvaudio, is your AG100 stock?

autumn_leaf
06-11-2010, 04:09 PM
well i went on my vacation for a tennis tournament (first match on sunday) and my first day practicing i broke another set, i thought it was gonna go. lasted my ~20 hrs / 2-3 weeks. broke 3 strings on a clean hit dead in the center. guess this sport just got a tad bit more expensive lol.