PDA

View Full Version : why do pros go through so many racquets?

spacediver
05-01-2010, 11:28 AM
I can understand having several racquets on hand so that there is ready access to a fresh set of strings. But in terms of metal fatigue and cracks, are the lifespans of the frames that shallow that pros need dozens a year?

Or am I mistaken in my assumption that they do indeed go through dozens of racquets. I know Borg did, but that may be explained by the wood material.

PED
05-01-2010, 12:22 PM
I think I read that Fed goes through 60 a year and Rafa is around 35 or so. Roddick is currently on his 450 plus PD so he goes through them quickly as well.

They used daily for hours and also restrung extremely frequently which can lead to fatigue as well.

cmb
05-01-2010, 12:33 PM
yet blake survives with 3...

THESEXPISTOL
05-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Blake's a gladiator :lol:

Danstevens
05-01-2010, 12:52 PM
As has been pointed out above, the pros play for much longer and with much higher intensity than the vast majority of amateurs. They're hitting harder for longer on a more frequent basis so their rackets are bound to give up sooner than recreational or even college players' rackets.

Stringing also puts a lot of stress on rackets, maybe more than playing and the pros restring a lot. Pretty much all top pros will have several rackets strung before each match. The ones that aren't used in the match may be used for practice or could just be cut out and restrung before being used for practice or another match. This almost daily restringing would take its toll on rackets much more than mere amateurs who are unlikely to restring any given racket more than once a week.

Also, at the pro level, matches are decided by the finest of margins so everyone wants their equipment to be spot on. If it isn't, they simply won't use it - if they did, they might put their opponent at an advantage (however small). Maybe they wouldn't be disadvantaged but even this mental doubt is too much to have at the pro level where absolute concentration on your game is required. As soon as most pros feel like their rackets are showing fatigue (whether they actually are or not) they will probably choose simply to replace that racket with a fresh one. Within reason, they can have as many fresh rackets as they want so it isn't really any trouble to them to just replace a frame. I'm not sure of this fact but I would imagine that pros retire/replace their rackets much more often than amateur players, once again leading to a higher figure of annual racket "consumption".

spacediver
05-01-2010, 02:02 PM
thanks for the great answers :)

Totai
05-01-2010, 07:27 PM
plus the pros are superstitious as hell

cork_screw
05-02-2010, 06:55 AM
A couple of things. First, they can. Those racquets are basically free. Second, most of those racquets are strung at different tensions and have slightly different specs.

It's cold, maybe I'll take out a racquet with looser tension for more power. Or it's warm, let me switch to a racquet with a higher tension for more control and spin.

Lphansen
05-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I remember reading about yonex testing a racket belonging to Marcelo Rios through out a full year of stringing and playing.
The conclusion was that the racket had dropped 10 % of stiffness in the frame and that is at least one of the reason why pro´s gets new rackets several times a year !

lphansen

David123
05-02-2010, 11:56 AM
yeah theyre restrung exremly often so the rackets can be a bit beat.

Autodidactic player
05-02-2010, 12:09 PM
We should also remember that sponsors want to sell as many rackets as possible and they definitely don't want to see one of their rackets breaking during normal play since this could hurt sales so I'm sure all sponsored pros are encouraged to play with a new or almost new rackets in televised tournaments.

Donny0627
05-02-2010, 01:26 PM
We should also remember that sponsors want to sell as many rackets as possible and they definitely don't want to see one of their rackets breaking during normal play since this could hurt sales so I'm sure all sponsored pros are encouraged to play with a new or almost new rackets in televised tournaments.

I never thought about it that way but u are right

sixone90
05-02-2010, 07:05 PM
yet blake survives with 3...

With the amount of matches he's winning these days. He'll survive on 3

VGP
05-03-2010, 06:53 AM
As has been pointed out above, the pros play for much longer and with much higher intensity than the vast majority of amateurs. They're hitting harder for longer on a more frequent basis so their rackets are bound to give up sooner than recreational or even college players' rackets.

Stringing also puts a lot of stress on rackets, maybe more than playing and the pros restring a lot. Pretty much all top pros will have several rackets strung before each match. The ones that aren't used in the match may be used for practice or could just be cut out and restrung before being used for practice or another match. This almost daily restringing would take its toll on rackets much more than mere amateurs who are unlikely to restring any given racket more than once a week.

Also, at the pro level, matches are decided by the finest of margins so everyone wants their equipment to be spot on. If it isn't, they simply won't use it - if they did, they might put their opponent at an advantage (however small). Maybe they wouldn't be disadvantaged but even this mental doubt is too much to have at the pro level where absolute concentration on your game is required. As soon as most pros feel like their rackets are showing fatigue (whether they actually are or not) they will probably choose simply to replace that racket with a fresh one. Within reason, they can have as many fresh rackets as they want so it isn't really any trouble to them to just replace a frame. I'm not sure of this fact but I would imagine that pros retire/replace their rackets much more often than amateur players, once again leading to a higher figure of annual racket "consumption".

All good points and are most likely true for several pros, but IMO the main reason the top guys "go through" so many frames is due to marketing and advertising. I'm sure their sponsoring companies wouldn't want their players out there with beat up looking rackets.

The players that get the most exposure are on TV a lot. They show up on the news, in magazines, and on the internet. Moreso now that HD programming is more prevalent.

I'm sure Federer doesn't really need to go through 60 frames a year due to material fatigue. Definitely more than a recreational player or a collegiate player.....but he's gotta have frames that look pristine on TV.

mm916157
05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
+1 on marketing, exposure, advertising and selling more raqcuets.

Do basketball players need new shoes for every game, even though they only play for 1 hour on polished wood floors.

I wonder how much R and D they have federer doing when not in tournaments?

Murray_Fan
05-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Because they scratch them so when people watch them on Tv etc it doesnt look good

decades
05-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Blake can only afford 3 because umpires costs him big bucks and make him lose...

teto29
05-03-2010, 11:51 AM
With the amount of matches he's winning these days. He'll survive on 3

ouch,.. true though

alcheng
05-03-2010, 01:24 PM

One point is missing:

At the Pro Level, the racquets are FREE!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Grover Sparkman
05-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I assume this is also how pros are able to give so many racquets away to different charities.

VGP
05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
For many, given as part of a contract.......but not unlimited.

ChuDat
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
They are pros, so they can go through as many racquets as they want. Also pros play and practice more than the non-pros.

martini1
05-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Another thing could be their spokes person contracts. The manufacturers do not want a scratched up racket to be showing on the sports pages or magazines. They would simple ask the poster boy/girl to use new rackets in each match.

Coaches would also make it a habit on replacing new rackets after how many hours of playing or after how many restrings.

Nanshiki
05-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Racquets wear out, but most amateurs never notice. Pros on the other have can afford to go through 50 racquets a year since they're free, and that gives them more consistency...it's the same reason they restring several racquets a day, which also makes the racquet wear out faster.

They're also more likely to crack or smash racquets, because they hit harder...