PDA

View Full Version : Tension Reference?

pheonix6579
05-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I know with polys you are supposed to string them a certain % lower than you would for synthetic gut. What about Multi, like Babolat Addiction? I normally string synthetic gut in the crosses @ 55, but I acquired some muti and wanted to try it as a cross replacement.

pheonix6579
05-02-2010, 07:37 PM
anyone?

10 char

flashfire276
05-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I know with polys you are supposed to string them a certain % lower than you would for synthetic gut. What about Multi, like Babolat Addiction? I normally string synthetic gut in the crosses @ 55, but I acquired some muti and wanted to try it as a cross replacement.

They say you should drop 5% percent because of the stiffness. If you're gonna transition from a multi to a poly, this would be really recommended. Poly is gonna kill your arm if you're already used to the softness of a multi.

But personally, I don't listen to this rule. I string at 58, always at 58, and will stay at 58. No matter what. I used full poly beds at 58, and it really doesn't bother me.

pheonix6579
05-02-2010, 08:12 PM
They say you should drop 5% percent because of the stiffness. If you're gonna transition from a multi to a poly, this would be really recommended. Poly is gonna kill your arm if you're already used to the softness of a multi.

But personally, I don't listen to this rule. I string at 58, always at 58, and will stay at 58. No matter what. I used full poly beds at 58, and it really doesn't bother me.

Right now I use a poly/Syn. gut hybrid. I would like to replace the Syn. Gut with the Multi. I will still keep the poly mains.

pug
05-03-2010, 05:04 AM
If you are using the multi in the crosses only, I would not worry about dropping tension. The poly mains are going to drive the feel of your setup.

JT_2eighty
05-03-2010, 07:11 AM

I think he's asking if he should Increase the tension on the multi, since it will play softer than other strings. Some multis actually state on the packaging to string Higher than your "normal" syn setup, but others don't.

Try at your normal tension and if you find it too springy, then upping the multi 5-10% can work well. If you are going poly mains and multi cross, I would suggest to string the multi about 3-4 pounds higher than your poly main.

hoodjem
05-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Babolat Addiction 16 Nylon 1.31 198

198 is not that soft. Keep it the same as a synth.