PDA

View Full Version : Would you restring if you were me?

johndagolfer
05-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I recently strung my racquet at 57 pounds mains 59 crosses hybrid SpinX and Micro Gosen. After 1 set my arm was so tingly. I noticed the same feeling after I had strung my first poly ever (hurricane at the same tension). The thing about the hurricane though was that after 3 weeks of hitting with it I loved it! I no longer had any tingles and I was still getting a ton of action on the ball.

Do you think the reason for the tingles coming back were that the Spinx was much tighter than the Hurricane due to the 3 weeks of hitting with the hurricane?

How much in 3 weeks of hitting 2 or 3 times a week would string have loosened? Should I cut out my new string job or perhaps wait a few days, since I just strung and used it last night?

Thanks

pheonix6579
05-01-2010, 05:10 PM
I would be very cautious...I mean its not a expensive string job so if you do it yourself I would cut and string everything 2lbs looser and go from there. You might not be able to tell too much of a difference, but I bet your arm will.

johndagolfer
05-01-2010, 05:15 PM
do you think that 2 lbs is enough? Is that how much tension would have been lost from the hurricane after 3 weeks? Is hurricane a stiffer string than Spin X?

I was actually thinking about stringing 52lbs main 54lbs crosses

autumn_leaf
05-01-2010, 05:17 PM
tension loss depends on time and how hard you hit. 3 weeks... umm if you strung it at the same tension as the spin x i would assume mid to high 40s. most strings are said to lose up to 10% tension a day after stringing.

if i were you...umm if i had another racquet that needed restringing i would restring around 5lbs lower at least. if i had another racquet strung i would play with that one and wait to play with the spin x one for about a week. if it was my one and only racquet, i would restring if i didn't have to worry about money.

pheonix6579
05-01-2010, 05:22 PM
tension loss depends on time and how hard you hit. 3 weeks... umm if you strung it at the same tension as the spin x i would assume mid to high 40s. most strings are said to lose up to 10% tension a day after stringing.

if i were you...umm if i had another racquet that needed restringing i would restring around 5lbs lower at least. if i had another racquet strung i would play with that one and wait to play with the spin x one for about a week. if it was my one and only racquet, i would restring if i didn't have to worry about money.

I agree that there are a lot of factors going into tension loss.

PHT tends to be a stiffer polly.

The only thing about stringing it 5lb looser is you will notice it right away...then you have the initial tension loss and the "break in" tension loss. Just something to consider, but your arm shouldn't have the trouble with a 5lb drop

autumn_leaf
05-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree that there are a lot of factors going into tension loss.

PHT tends to be a stiffer polly.

The only thing about stringing it 5lb looser is you will notice it right away...then you have the initial tension loss and the "break in" tension loss. Just something to consider, but your arm shouldn't have the trouble with a 5lb drop

i suggested 5lbs because i think that it would duplicate the same tension or close to the tension that the pht was at after 3 weeks. also i don't think that just droping it 2lbs will help his arm out if the tingling only stopped after 3 weeks.

Racer41c
05-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I recently strung my racquet at 57 pounds mains 59 crosses hybrid SpinX and Micro Gosen. After 1 set my arm was so tingly. I noticed the same feeling after I had strung my first poly ever (hurricane at the same tension). The thing about the hurricane though was that after 3 weeks of hitting with it I loved it! I no longer had any tingles and I was still getting a ton of action on the ball.

Do you think the reason for the tingles coming back were that the Spinx was much tighter than the Hurricane due to the 3 weeks of hitting with the hurricane?

How much in 3 weeks of hitting 2 or 3 times a week would string have loosened? Should I cut out my new string job or perhaps wait a few days, since I just strung and used it last night?

Thanks

Spin X 16g or 17g? I strung the 16g at 53 (lock out) and the 17g at 56 and find them to be quite soft. I can see how the 16g at 57 could be on the stiff side.

In any case, if you only have 1 racquet your kinda stuck. If you have 2 at least to can use your other racquet to warm up (assuming it's more arm friendly) and then switch to the spin x to see what you think.

fgs
05-04-2010, 11:52 PM
over three weeks your initial strings might have lost up to 20% of the initial tension, so basically, even if you have the same string fresh you'd definitely feel the difference and the arm might get tingy.
the strings also seem to be different in themselves and hence provide a different "feel" even if at the same tension.
in order to prevent from such steep changes, i usually step on my stringbed about some 20 times after i take it from the machine. on a carpet floor - in another thread someone calculated that roddick's serve at 250 km/h is more than my 80kg, so don't be afraid of stressing the frame. i'm doing this since my old wooden days and have never ever cracked a frame, not even the wooden ones. the benefit is that when i break a string and have to go on to play with the next racquet, the differences in strinbed stiffness are hardly noticeable, so that i can go on from where i left.
you on the other hand have two different strings you're talking about, so, besides the tension difference you sure have to do with playing characteristics difference.
i'd be a little bit patient before cutting the new string job out, since you said that you played with it right from the machine. so, there has not been basically any tension loss which occurs even if you don't hit a ball, and the stringbed is not broken in either, so i don't wonder it feels stiffer than the old stringjob.

zapvor
05-05-2010, 03:53 AM
how are you so certain is the string tension?

johndagolfer
05-05-2010, 04:58 AM
I assumed it was the string tension because after 3 weeks of playing with the hurricane it started loving it. After I restrung on my new MS200 with better clamps, my arm started hurting again. I am thinking 2 things made my initial tension higher, a better machine and better clamps.

Steve Huff
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
So, you're going to damage your arm for 3 weeks just to get some string to play like you want it. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Tennis_Man
05-06-2010, 12:08 AM
It sucks to loose a new set of string, but if it brings a tingle in your arm that is not good. I would cut it and restring it at a lower tension maybe 3 - 4lbs looser?

fuzz nation
05-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Hitting with fresh poly makes arm tingle... What could possibly go wrong?

If using a different string type allows you to hit without any arm tingling, then that stuff gets my vote. I've seen too many cases of injuries among younger and older poly users with decent tennis skills to not be leery of that crap.