PDA

View Full Version : First Hit with Genesis Typhoon

drummerdan
05-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I must say that I was anxious to string this up when I rec'd it this week. I actually got a blue and a grey set so I'll see if they play different. For now, I strung up the blue version with Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17 ga as the crosses. The tensions are 57/60. This is my preferred set up and I've used it many times with my usual string - Genesis Black Magic. I'm comparing this against an identical Wilson ksix one 95 ( 16x18 ) strung with Black Magic (17ga) @ 57# and VS Tonic (16ga) @ 60 # as the crosses. This is a fabulous setup with everything I want/need.

BTW, the color is beautiful and looks both blue and black depending the angle you look at it.

Stringing this was really no sweat and I noticed that it actually stretched during stringing way more than most polys. Of course, it was rougher on my hands but acceptable. It probably helped that I was only stringing mains. I'm sure that if this was a full bed, it would cause more headaches. I forgot to check the string tensions for set how it holds tension but I'll test that on the next stringing. It felt like the tension held very well for the time I played with it today.

I played about a set and a half with the typhoon today - perfect conditions, coolish weather and no wind. I played 1 set with my normal setup first to get set with my strokes.

My first few strokes fell short until I could adjust to the less lively feel and higher spin. I was very impressed with this string and noticed a step up in spin and control from my usual. Most every stroke was controlled and a higher spin rate was achieved. I could see the ball bounce up more and I could take a big cut at everything without fear of the ball going out. My opponent was struggling with some of the wicked jumps it was taking. Nice!! I could feel the ball pocketing and I felt very confident at all times. I couldn't tell if it's hard on the arm since I didn't play with it long enough. However, my arm felt fine after this session.

This string is a real winner and produces a LOT of spin with great control. There's not a lot of power so you'll have to generate your own. Personally, I found this to have much more spin than Spin-x or Black Magic. It's at the top of the spin heap at Genesis with Spin-x right behind and BM below them both. BM is the feel/power string, Typhoon is the spin/control string with Spin-x right in-between.

I see myself going to this string in the future, depending on how the rest of the testing goes. For me, a big factor will depend on how my arm holds up. For that, I'll just have to give it some court time. I would love to see how this would play with natural gut in the crosses but I think the Typhoon would chew through it quickly.

Overall, this is a GREAT string!! Well worthy of a test drive.

!<-_->!
05-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Interesting that you say there's no much power. The other reviews seem to conclude that this string packs quite a punch. Nice review nonetheless.

Kick Serve 14
05-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Sounds like a good set up, where did you get the string?

TennisandMusic
05-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I think typhoon is a rocket launcher for a poly. It's way more powerful than black magic which can take some work to put the juice on.

Interesting take.

David123
05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the review sounds really good!

brownbearfalling
05-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Any comparison to other twisted strings such as Msv hepta twist or gamma twist string? I strung up msv hepta twist and it stretched quite a bit as well. I suppose it is because of the "spring like" form of the string.

drummerdan
05-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I think typhoon is a rocket launcher for a poly. It's way more powerful than black magic which can take some work to put the juice on.

Interesting take.

My normal string is Black Magic and it seems to me that BM is much more powerful than Typhoon. We'll see how it goes as I have a league match this pm.

TennisandMusic
05-02-2010, 12:24 PM
My normal string is Black Magic and it seems to me that BM is much more powerful than Typhoon. We'll see how it goes as I have a league match this pm.

Wow very interesting, I consider black magic to have much less power than typhoon. Everyone is different for sure.

Mig1NC
05-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I would wonder how much effect having natural gut crosses in your BM setup contributes to that, since you have Maxim Touch crosses in the Typhoon setup.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

davidahenry
05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Just posted a brief review of the blue version on my blog...

http://www.inspired-tennis.com/2010/05/the-blue-typhoon/

Take care.

DH

drummerdan
05-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I would wonder how much effect having natural gut crosses in your BM setup contributes to that, since you have Maxim Touch crosses in the Typhoon setup.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

I think this is for sure part of it. Although, when I did string BM with sensation, I got similar power results. I played 2 more sets today (doubles) and the Typhoon performed very well indeed. My returns were outstanding, dipping at the feet of the oncoming server and my kick serve felt very, well, kicky!!

Visene77
05-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Using a string in a hybrid introduces too many variables to rate that string.

autumn_leaf
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Using a string in a hybrid introduces too many variables to rate that string.

if they are using different crosses then yes. but i think that if a person has a constant cross string for all the setups they can judge the main strings just as well as a full bed.

drummerdan
05-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Ok. 2 more sets tonight. I have changed my mind on this. It does have very good power, contrary to my previous comments. Still, it's not as powerful as BM, IMHO, but it still has nice power. The spin is excellent and I feel confident on all shots. Frankly, my return of serve and serve are the best shots with this string, for me. Still no arm pain - it's a good sign.

caligirl24
05-03-2010, 11:01 PM
could someone please compare this to the rpm blast.

TennisandMusic
05-04-2010, 12:37 AM
could someone please compare this to the rpm blast.

IMO, with a full bed on both, RPM blast has better "control" and less power. RPM might also have more feel, and both are pretty comfortable for polys. I say RPM might have more feel because I think Typhoon could at times be considered "mushy" or "soft" compared...to me RPM blast was pin point accurate with just the right amount of spin and power and feel. I thought it worked absolutely great in the APDGT I had it in. I would consider Typhoon very very playable and an overall great playing string. For pretty much half the cost when considering reels, I'd go with typhoon. If you have endless money to burn (even though I can afford either, I don't think RPM blast is worth it to me at the relative price/performance ratio) RPM blast might be the way to go. Only demo RPM blast if you are willing to pay that much for a string over the long haul.

Is there anything specific I could answer? That's a pretty general response I just gave.

Racer41c
05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
IMO, with a full bed on both, RPM blast has better "control" and less power. RPM might also have more feel, and both are pretty comfortable for polys. I say RPM might have more feel because I think Typhoon could at times be considered "mushy" or "soft" compared...to me RPM blast was pin point accurate with just the right amount of spin and power and feel. I thought it worked absolutely great in the APDGT I had it in. I would consider Typhoon very very playable and an overall great playing string. For pretty much half the cost when considering reels, I'd go with typhoon. If you have endless money to burn (even though I can afford either, I don't think RPM blast is worth it to me at the relative price/performance ratio) RPM blast might be the way to go. Only demo RPM blast if you are willing to pay that much for a string over the long haul.

Is there anything specific I could answer? That's a pretty general response I just gave.

Hey Tennis, always enjoy your posts. One of the things I'm finding with polys is they seem to work differently at different tensions. As an example SPPP doesn't like to be tight (for me at least). And I've seen people say not to go over 56 lbs with MSV focus hex.

So what tensions have you tried Typhoon?

TennisandMusic
05-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi Racer. Thanks for the nice words. They are far nicer than some others say about me. :-P

For the record I have used Typhoon at 52 in my APDGT, and 55 in my PDRGT. I am finding control to be excellent actually. I really need to take a recent video, I feel like my strokes have changed a good amount and that I am hitting decently lately. I just don't have a camera any longer.

I usually string polys around those ranges in general.