PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the grommet/bumper set

tennytive
05-02-2010, 06:35 AM
I've only done four string jobs (for myself), The first two were an adventure, but it did get easier with each attempt.

Yesterday I decided it was time to try replacing the grommets and bumper on my very used POG 90. I read what I could, and watched YULitle so was forewarned that it may be somewhat frustrating along the way.

The old set was really beat. Crack in the bumper and many split ends of grommets. This made removal a little slow as some grommets had to be coaxed out with the blunt awl. I wasn't worried about the frame, as this racket already has the paint worn off most of the upper hoop, but I was still careful so as not to damage the head. I had to pry sections of the bumper on both sides of the crack to finally release it.

I briefly thought about soaking the new set in warm water to make it more pliable, but instead just jumped in to see if maybe I could get lucky.

The only real resistance I got was the throat piece. It just did not want to sit all the way in. I left that thinking the strings would pull them tight enough and went on to the two side pieces. A little slow in one or two spots, but no problems. Now on to the bumper. It started fine and was moving along until I got to the other end, and then the first end started lifting out. I had to go back and press harder, but that didn't seem to help so I pulled the whole piece out and started again. This time it seemed to sit right, and toward the other end I suddenly heard a "snap" sound and magically the bumper sat flush to the frame and all I had to do was push the last two grommets in and I was done.

I read where MRT's are supposed to be able to change out a grommet set in fifteen minutes to pass their testing. I can't say for sure, but even with all the retries and taking my extreme time, I was able to accomplish this in a half hour or so. Is this typical or was I just lucky, and is it normally much more of a hassle?

BTW I strung up the racket as a one piece 14x18 and it's fine as can be. Now I'm wondering if I should put some guard tape over the new set to make it last. Opinions?

armsty
05-02-2010, 06:52 AM
I replaced the grommets in my BLX Pro Open with a heat gun on a low setting in about 10 minutes at the most.

After about an hour struggling with the old grommet set, I decided it wouldn't go back in. I set myself a goal to complete it in 30 minutes, the new grommets and bam, 10 minutes max. Just used an awl and a couple of cable ties to get the bumper guard on the first side to stay in

Valjean
05-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Generally widening the grommet holes on the head guard keeps them in.

tennytive
05-03-2010, 05:09 AM
I forgot to mention that when I cut out the old strings, both knots were tied with a SINGLE half hitch.

I didn't think that could be possible.

jim e
05-03-2010, 08:50 AM
I forgot to mention that when I cut out the old strings, both knots were tied with a SINGLE half hitch.

Anything is possible. Back in the 60's wooden racquet days, I was taught the now called Parnell knot, and still use that knot, but the majority of the stringers in my area back then only used single half hitches on those woodies.Yours was probably strung from an old timer from back in the wooden days, as it was used a lot back then, aand that stringer still uses it. I would not suggest it, as there is a chance of a knot like that to come undone.With a parnell, you will not have a knot come apart before you want it to.

tennytive
05-04-2010, 05:18 AM
^^^^^^^

Wow, that's still hard to believe, but if you say so. You'd think they'd use the double half hitch just to be sure, but maybe for the wooden rackets there wasn't room?

I love the Parnell, it's all I use and the tail lines up perfectly against the frame.

Thanks for the input.

30 - 15 is my ad
05-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Don't forget to add 2 lbs tension to offset the seating of the new grommets/bumper...

Lakers4Life
05-06-2010, 08:48 AM

I still see single half hitch knots on rackets given to me for restringing and I wonder how they hold for so long.

BTW it's 20 mins to replace a Grommet Set for the CS or MRT test. But you can choose/provide the racket and grommet you test on.

Irvin
05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
When I first started replacing grommet I used hair dryers and warm water to soften them up. I don't do that any more I feel they go in better and stay if they are room temperature. Usually takes about 10 minutes now to remove and replace most grommets.

I have spent as long as two hours changing a grommet. The old Wilson ProStaff with they first came out did not have a bumper gaurd. I tried to replace the grommets with a set that had a bumper gaurd. Big mistake, the grommet holes are close but don't quite line up. That was the two hour job.

Many frames although the look the same are not also. Like the Wilson Hammer 2.3 I think. There are two different models and look almost identical. Good luck trying to replace the grommets with the wrong set.

Irvin

taylorhorton4
05-09-2010, 02:46 PM
i replaced my grommets on my k pro open about a week ago with blx pro open as they have they same specs but the k pro open grommets were not sold anymore. I only replaced the top bumper guard (the hardest of all the grommets to replace), and that was quite a task. I did not use heat but this took some time. 1 tip that did though was that as i went i twist tied the parts that i got in because as you go along, previously completed ones tend to come out. It is not something i will be looking forward to doing again.

meowmix
05-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Most grommet sets are fairly easy to replace. On the other hand, there are ones that are a complete pain in the butt. I spent a few (read 3, 4) hours replacing my Ipex 7.0 set. On the other hand, I replaced a 6-1 95 set in about 15 minutes that same week. Some rackets are just easier.