PDA

View Full Version : Increase tension when not using ALU Power?

AllDownTheLine
05-02-2010, 07:46 AM
I have been using Luxilon Alu Power 16L and can't believe how superior it plays to the other polys I have in stock.
The issue I have is that before I fell in love with Luxilon I had bought a bunch of softer polys to try out.
Since the other recently purchased strings are so powerful compared to Luxilon I believe that I need to bump up the tension in order to control them.
Current set up = Mains: Alu Power 16L@ 47 / Crosses: NRG 18@ 50.

My first attempt with Topspin Cyberblue was a disaster in that I strung them at the same tension as the Alu and it felt like a pile of mush.
Here are the strings I own but have yet to try. Does anyone have experience using any of these strings and if so, how much higher
do you think I need to string them in order for them to be playable?
Are any of these good in full beds?

Strings owned but not tried yet (all 17 gauge)
Unique Big Hitter Silver
Unique Big Hitter Blue
Topspin Cyberblue (tried once at too low tension and cut it out after 10 mins)
MSV Focus Hex
Genesis SpinX

I understand that string tensions are totally subjective so I am asking this question to those who have tried both Luxilon ALU and the strings below to see what tensions differences (if any) they used in order to make these strings work for them.

ClubHoUno
05-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I have been using Luxilon Alu Power 16L and can't believe how superior it plays to the other polys I have in stock.
The issue I have is that before I fell in love with Luxilon I had bought a bunch of softer polys to try out.
Since the other recently purchased strings are so powerful compared to Luxilon I believe that I need to bump up the tension in order to control them.
Current set up = Mains: Alu Power 16L@ 47 / Crosses: NRG 18@ 50.

My first attempt with Topspin Cyberblue was a disaster in that I strung them at the same tension as the Alu and it felt like a pile of mush.
Here are the strings I own but have yet to try. Does anyone have experience using any of these strings and if so, how much higher
do you think I need to string them in order for them to be playable?
Are any of these good in full beds?

Strings owned but not tried yet (all 17 gauge)
Unique Big Hitter Silver
Unique Big Hitter Blue
Topspin Cyberblue (tried once at too low tension and cut it out after 10 mins)
MSV Focus Hex
Genesis SpinX

I understand that string tensions are totally subjective so I am asking this question to those who have tried both Luxilon ALU and the strings below to see what tensions differences (if any) they used in order to make these strings work for them.

You will not presently find a string, which matches the characterictics of Alu Power, but you could try one of the following strings and maybe up the tension by 4-6 lbs, but they will not play like Alu Power, but they are good solid copolys:

1. WeissCannon Silverstring
2. Topspin CyberFlash
3. Babolat RPM Blast
4. Signum Pro Tornado

AllDownTheLine
05-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Sorry, I should have pointed out that I don't expect the same performance as ALU. My goal is to salvage what I can out of the strings I bought before I fell in love w/ ALU.:?