PDA

View Full Version : Great Video

Ash_Smith
05-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm sure some have seen this before but i spotted it while looking for something else and thought it genius!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOXp2gq5Ync&feature=related

Ash

drakulie
05-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Hey,Ash.

Yeah this is a great video. It is a bit corky, but one could learn a lot from watching it. The method of sticking the awl in the grommet to hold the tension until the string is tied down is the method I learned, and still use it from time to time. I pull with the cam action clamp, slide the awl in, tie off, and then pull the awl out.

Thanks for posting.

Ash_Smith
05-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Hey Rick

Yeah, I just saw it when I was looking for another stringing video for one of the kids I teach and it made me laugh.

I've never seen an awl used in that way to tie off, will have to give it a try.

Ash

David123
05-03-2010, 06:31 AM
hey yeah ive seen that video. Its great. And woh Drak i never thought of doing that :P I'll do it now seems genius.

Ash_Smith
05-03-2010, 06:35 AM
^^^ just be careful not to 'nick' the string when you push the awl into the grommet - it goes through enough stress going through there as it is, without having a chunk of it removed! :)

drakulie
05-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Hey Rick

I've never seen an awl used in that way to tie off, will have to give it a try.

Ash

yeah, I was taught to do that way back when I learned to string. However, as you said, one needs to be careful as it could damage the string and/or grommet if done improperly. Make sure to wax the awl before doing it, and ensure the awl is smooth with a nice rounded tip.

Cheers!