PDA

View Full Version : And A Good Poly to Hybrid VS Gut With Is?

mimibighead
05-02-2010, 01:45 PM
A few years ago I had TE so I switched to a full natural gut stringbed. I bought a bunch of VS Gut (16g). With my TE better, I recently strung my racquets in a hybrid set up -- I did this largely because the gut mains would fray quickly and break shortly thereafter. So I "randomly" tried a hybrid with some Prince poly in the mains and the VS gut in the crosses. I like this setup for all the reasons one would like a poly...so...

Any thoughts on additional polys to try in a hybrid with VS? Keeping the polys on the softer side would probably be a starting criteria.

ClubHoUno
05-02-2010, 01:49 PM
A few years ago I had TE so I switched to a full natural gut stringbed. I bought a bunch of VS Gut (16g). With my TE better, I recently strung my racquets in a hybrid set up -- I did this largely because the gut mains would fray quickly and break shortly thereafter. So I "randomly" tried a hybrid with some Prince poly in the mains and the VS gut in the crosses. I like this setup for all the reasons one would like a poly...so...

Any thoughts on additional polys to try in a hybrid with VS? Keeping the polys on the softer side would probably be a starting criteria.

VS mains: Try a smooth poly in the crosses like Alu Power, Silverstring og Hyperion
VS crosses: Try a soft edged poly like RPM Blast, BlackCode or Tornado

Love50
05-02-2010, 02:32 PM
My goto hybrid poly cross is currently Pacific Poly Force Xtreme. I do string the cross very low (45 lbs) so your mileage may vary.

jrod
05-02-2010, 04:11 PM
VS mains: Try a smooth poly in the crosses like Alu Power, Silverstring og Hyperion

Yep. You are wasting your $ with gut crosses since it plays like a poly. If you are using a gut hybrid, do yourself a favor and at least take advantage of the gut by putting it in the mains.

Secondly, that fraying you are complaining about might very well be reduced substantially by using a smooth poly/co-poly cross. Given your TE issues, you should opt for the softer version that ClubHoUno recommends which is Weiss SS. As an added bonus, Weiss retains its resiliency better than almost all co-polys so you won't find yourself cutting out that expensive gut every 4 hours or so.

Keifers
05-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Yep. You are wasting your $ with gut crosses since it plays like a poly. If you are using a gut hybrid, do yourself a favor and at least take advantage of the gut by putting it in the mains.
I agree.

Secondly, that fraying you are complaining about might very well be reduced substantially by using a smooth poly/co-poly cross. Given your TE issues, you should opt for the softer version that ClubHoUno recommends which is Weiss SS. As an added bonus, Weiss retains its resiliency better than almost all co-polys so you won't find yourself cutting out that expensive gut every 4 hours or so.
Well said.

drummerdan
05-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I really like Genesis Black Magic in the mains with VS in the crosses. I have this in a racquet as we speak. Beware. It will fray super fast but I got around that by using string savers in the wear areas. It does stiffen the stringbed somewhat so you may want to compensate for it.

That being said, this combo is outstanding!!