PDA

View Full Version : Slightly Crisper Poly or Increase Tension?

TripleB
05-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Currently have my two Pure Drive Cortex racquet strung with Yonex Tour Super 850 16g crosses and WeissCannon TurboTwist 1.24 as well as Signum Pro Tornado 1.23 mains...tension 58/60.

I went with these two mains because of the great reviews and to soften up the 70 stiffness rating of the racquet.

Love the soft feel and spin of both strings but find that the strings along with the Woofer/Cortex combo make the string bed feel a bit too soft...never thought I'd say that considering the racquet has a 70 stiffness rating.

I'm wanting to make the stringbed a bit more firm so I can feel the ball a little better on the strings (a bit too plush right now) for dropshots and control without losing the incredible spin and depth I'm getting with the racquet right now...and I definitely don't want to go so far as to start having elbow problems.

I'm considering going to a slightly crisper cross string (Gosen OG Sheep Micro or Forten Sweet) to see if that gets me the feel I'm looking for in the racquet.

If that doesn't work, is my best option to look for a slightly stiffer poly/co-poly (maybe Lux BB ALU or others...any suggestions?) for the mains or to just increase the tension of the strings I'm currently using in the racquet?

Thanks for any and all input.

TripleB

BTW: of the two main strings I tried, right now I would say I prefer the Turbotwist. The Tornado plays a bit softer but I think the Turbotwist offers just as much spin, offers better control, slightly better touch, seems to move around less, and overall I just played better with it than the Tornado.

MuscleWeave
05-02-2010, 04:04 PM
From what I've read, the Forten Sweet is supposed to be quite soft.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm currently switching to a full poly bed to see if it will be an improvement over hybriding on a Dunlop racquet with M-fil, which softens the response of the crosses. After that, I'll try hybriding with more solid strings.

Keifers
05-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I agree that Forten Sweet is not going to give you appreciably more feel than Yonex 850.

Going to a solid-core cross string is a good idea, though, and I recommend Gosen OGSM, Prince Syn Gut Original and Gosen JC 16, in ascending order of stiffness.

rlee7777
05-03-2010, 04:40 AM
To meet your criteria, try Silverstring 1.20 in the mains and Gosen OG Sheep 17 in the crosses. String the crosses 3lbs higher.

BagelMe
05-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Full bed of Pro Hurricane tour! Stick a wormy dampener on it too.

Consigliere73
05-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Tornado 1.23 definitely isn't a crisp feeling poly. It felt rubbery and muted to me. Same with its closely related sibling, Hyperion.

Have you tried Kirschbaum ProLine II? That's a really well balanced poly in terms of characteristics and crisp feeling as long as you don't overtension it, though its not a hugely spin orientated string. If you want a crisp, slightly firmer feeling stringbed, try it with Premier LT in the crosses. I've used that combination before in a PDGT and it works well (though you'll have to factor in the fact that the PDGT isn't really a control racquet).