PDA

View Full Version : ex college-men vs women

zapvor
05-02-2010, 07:37 PM
So this might be bashed, but i have to see what the reaction is.

recently i met a young girl who played for a D2 school who just graduated not long ago. anyways we end up meeting to hit around. for those who know me here from the MAC you know i am not that good. for the hour we hit though i dominated her. and this is rallying. i am not even going for anything. although she said she played doubles, and that she hates playing on clay. so for me this sort of reaffirms that the gap between atp and wta is just huge.

Dream_On
05-03-2010, 04:08 AM

recently i met a young girl who played for a D2 school who just graduated not long ago. anyways we end up meeting to hit around. for those who know me here from the MAC you know i am not that good. for the hour we hit though i dominated her. and this is rallying. i am not even going for anything. although she said she played doubles, and that she hates playing on clay. so for me this sort of reaffirms that the gap between atp and wta is just huge.

MAC in boston?

zapvor
05-03-2010, 07:02 AM
MAC in boston?

no MAC mid atlantic chapter for TW. we are in odds section. we are pretty big

volleynets
05-03-2010, 07:28 AM
no MAC mid atlantic chapter for TW. we are in odds section. we are pretty big

You're a MAC and I'm a PC.

Pacific chapter?

zapvor
05-03-2010, 09:11 AM
You're a MAC and I'm a PC.

Pacific chapter?

lol no i am a pc too.
mac=mid atlantic chapter. seems obvious......

raiden031
05-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Well some colleges don't have very good tennis programs, even at the D1 level. I've played doubles against a former D1 girl who I think I would smoke in singles as a bottom third 4.0 player. I did beat a conference champion D3 female player a while back. Heck I've played against numerous men who played at various colleges, yet are computer rated in the 4.0-4.5 range as well.

I wouldn't take college experience to mean much unless the player/team has a college ranking.

LeeD
05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Who would quote the EverlyBros?
Div11 women's doubles can be 4.5 womens', which almost translates to upper 3.5 mens. Of course, Div11 women's singles can easily be womens' 5.5+.
If if she hates clay, hasn't played in 3 years, was she hot?

volleynets
05-03-2010, 10:53 AM
lol no i am a pc too.
mac=mid atlantic chapter. seems obvious......

No that was just a joke. I am from California which is by the Pacific so I could say I am the Pacific Chapter which happens to stand for PC by coincidence.

zapvor
05-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Well some colleges don't have very good tennis programs, even at the D1 level. I've played doubles against a former D1 girl who I think I would smoke in singles as a bottom third 4.0 player. I did beat a conference champion D3 female player a while back. Heck I've played against numerous men who played at various colleges, yet are computer rated in the 4.0-4.5 range as well.

I wouldn't take college experience to mean much unless the player/team has a college ranking.

i found that out via this experience. however theres an update: tonight i hit with a ex D1 player from minnesota, and she beat me fairly easily

zapvor
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
No that was just a joke. I am from California which is by the Pacific so I could say I am the Pacific Chapter which happens to stand for PC by coincidence.

oh lol my bad gotcha

zapvor
05-06-2010, 09:55 AM
so i am hitting with the D1 player again later today. wish me luck....lol

MomentumGT
05-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Good luck! Post a vid or pics if you could. :)

-Jon

Gemini
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
There's no clear alignment between what classification of athletic program (D1, D2, NAIA, etc.) and what level player you're bound to encounter. It's all over the map for men and women. I've played some D3 women that were "exceptional" and then played some D1's that I literally ran through.

The quality of player at the D1 level was more consistent in terms of what I should expect than at the D3 level. That's the only correlation I can make.

zapvor
05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Good luck! Post a vid or pics if you could. :)

-Jon

lol you know what i will try to get a video with my phone. i been meaning to get a vid anyways

zapvor
05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
There's no clear alignment between what classification of athletic program (D1, D2, NAIA, etc.) and what level player you're bound to encounter. It's all over the map for men and women. I've played some D3 women that were "exceptional" and then played some D1's that I literally ran through.

The quality of player at the D1 level was more consistent in terms of what I should expect than at the D3 level. That's the only correlation I can make.

true. the first person was from a D2 and i ran through her. but this one from D1 beat up on me last time. the main difference i noticed is that at D1 the consistency is insane. they just dont miss.

raiden031
05-06-2010, 05:52 PM
true. the first person was from a D2 and i ran through her. but this one from D1 beat up on me last time. the main difference i noticed is that at D1 the consistency is insane. they just dont miss.

But this is not always the case with D1 players, depends on the program.

Didn't TonLars on the board play D-3 and he's like a 6.0 player? I know he'd smoke a good number of D-1 players.

zapvor
05-06-2010, 08:37 PM
well i am speaking more about the women. havent really got to hit with D1 guys, just gals :)

by the way update in tips section with youtube video!

she was very gracious to allow me to film her as well, but of course my phone ran out of memory:(

raiden031
05-07-2010, 05:46 AM
well i am speaking more about the women. havent really got to hit with D1 guys, just gals :)

by the way update in tips section with youtube video!

she was very gracious to allow me to film her as well, but of course my phone ran out of memory:(

Ok remember earlier I said I played doubles against a former D1 female player and she is currently playing at 4.0 and is legit skillwise.

Gemini
05-07-2010, 06:39 AM
But this is not always the case with D1 players, depends on the program.

Didn't TonLars on the board play D-3 and he's like a 6.0 player? I know he'd smoke a good number of D-1 players.

You're right. Some D3 players are quite skilled. If TonLars did indeed play D3, then he'd definitely be one of them. It's just that you don't get that consistent level of player as you move further away from D1 in my opinion.

zapvor
05-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Ok remember earlier I said I played doubles against a former D1 female player and she is currently playing at 4.0 and is legit skillwise.

i hear you. just my opinion

raiden031
05-08-2010, 05:00 AM
i hear you. just my opinion

Ok if you want to believe that all D1 players are good because you played one good one, thats fine.

zapvor
05-09-2010, 04:46 AM
i didnt say all of them. the point i was making was that theres a big gap between men and women.

86golf
05-09-2010, 06:34 AM

+1 for what Gemini says. I have 3 ex college players on my 4.0 team, one of them D1 and they all belong at 4.0, no more, no less. In contrast, I played a girl from Charleston Southern University tennis team and she would play competitive with a 5.0 guy except for serving.

SirSweetSpot
05-10-2010, 08:48 AM
+1 for what Gemini says. I have 3 ex college players on my 4.0 team, one of them D1 and they all belong at 4.0, no more, no less. In contrast, I played a girl from Charleston Southern University tennis team and she would play competitive with a 5.0 guy except for serving.

...except for that teeny little matter.

zapvor
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
lol yea. the D1 girl has a pretty decent serve.