PDA

View Full Version : Tension & Headsize

Marcus
05-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Guys,

I've used mids pretty much constantly as my main frames (PS85/POG/Prestige/K90/PS88/PB10)

I've been playing about with 95's with good results and now have gone to a pair of TGK238.1 as my main frames.... (98 headsize)

I've always enjoyed higher tensions - usually around 60 for a mid feels good to me, mainly used multi's like exel recently, but have got into Gut of late too, sneaking the tension up to 62/3 feels about right.

I'm looking to string my TGK's up with Babolat VS Gut and don't really want to make too many tension mistakes with this stuff..... what tension should I use on a 98 to replicate the feel / crispness of 60lb on a mid ?

Thanks Guys

Mark

pug
05-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Mark,

IMO you would want to start with 2-3 pounds extra on your mid-plus. That is, if the string pattern is the same. Was your mid 18x20 and is your TGK 18x20? Also, VS 16 states a max tension of 66, so you don't want to push that too much. You could also add string savers to get a bit more crisp feel from the slightly larger head, and they would help maintain your gut too.

Jeff

Marcus
05-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Mark,

IMO you would want to start with 2-3 pounds extra on your mid-plus. That is, if the string pattern is the same. Was your mid 18x20 and is your TGK 18x20? Also, VS 16 states a max tension of 66, so you don't want to push that too much. You could also add string savers to get a bit more crisp feel from the slightly larger head, and they would help maintain your gut too.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff....

My most recent favourite mids (Blade Tour & Prestige mid) were 18x20

MY TGK is also 18x20

I think i'll go for 64 and see how I get on....

ATB

larry10s
05-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Mark,

Jeff

why increase the tension??

hoodjem
05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Guys,

I've used mids pretty much constantly as my main frames (PS85/POG/Prestige/K90/PS88/PB10)

I've been playing about with 95's with good results and now have gone to a pair of TGK238.1 as my main frames.... (98 headsize)

I've always enjoyed higher tensions - usually around 60 for a mid feels good to me, mainly used multi's like exel recently, but have got into Gut of late too, sneaking the tension up to 62/3 feels about right.

I'm looking to string my TGK's up with Babolat VS Gut and don't really want to make too many tension mistakes with this stuff..... what tension should I use on a 98 to replicate the feel / crispness of 60lb on a mid ?

Thanks Guys

Mark
Going from 95 to 98? Not that much difference. Generally, 2-3 lbs. up.

But gut is a lot softer, maybe 4-5 lbs. up. (Gauges matter too.)

Marcus
05-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Going from 95 to 98? Not that much difference. Generally, 2-3 lbs. up.

But gut is a lot softer, maybe 4-5 lbs. up. (Gauges matter too.)

Good point.... i'm thinking closed pattern maybe I could use a little more bite on the ball, think i'll go for 17g VS (usually use 16g) would that mean I wouldnt need to go as high ???

ATB
Mark

charliefedererer
05-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Good point.... i'm thinking closed pattern maybe I could use a little more bite on the ball, think i'll go for 17g VS (usually use 16g) would that mean I wouldnt need to go as high ???

ATB
Mark

The thinner the gut, the more resilient. So you might have to go a little higher with a 17g.

marosmith
05-09-2010, 04:32 PM
The TGK, like the pro tour and prestige mp line is really like 94". Head measures the outside of the frame not inside of stringbed like most other brands.

rich s
05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Marcus, just out of curiosity.... could you tell me the length of the longest main in your old frame and your new frame?