PDA

View Full Version : Cyberflash or Crossfire II?

OMGOAT
05-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Hello,

i'm thinking of getting either crossfire II or cyberflash
the problem is that polys get "dead"
does crossfire go "dead" as fast?or it doesn't go dead but loses tension only?
both have not too bad reviews.
I don't have a choice as these should be the best strings i can get in my area, and they don't come cheap( i'm not from USA)

OMGOAT
05-04-2010, 02:18 AM
bump?
i need to restring by this friday

thanks

COPEY
05-04-2010, 02:48 AM
I get the impression you're looking to buy a reel of one or the other. If that's the case, I would suggest going with the Cyberflash since its been reviewed several times and the general consensus is that it's considered to be a pretty good string. If you're getting sets then the solution is easy; get one of each.

Lambsscroll
05-04-2010, 04:16 AM
I would think of crossfire II as being dead right from the beginning. Thats kind of the beauty of kevlar. It doesn't stretch. You can rely on kevlar to remain the same throughout its life. Especially Ashaway kevlar. The trick is to find a nice cross string for it.

Toad
05-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Although I've never played with Cyberflash, I am pretty sure these strings are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Cyberflash is a softer copoly and Crossfire II will be stiff as a board. I think the vast majority of people would prefer Cyberflash to Crossfire II, and if you are used to softer strings stay away from Crossfire II. Personally I prefer Crossfire II...my normal string is Ashaway Kevlar 18, but it is very low powered and harsh.

That being said, Crossfire II will be good until it break. Yes it will lose a lot of tension, but it plays nearly the same when it loses tension as it does when it is fresh, so it won't affect your game. I believe Cyberflash holds tension good, but it certainly won't last as long as Crossfire II.

OMGOAT
05-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the reply guys

erm, taking crossfire II or crossfire 17/16 would be a better choice for power?

thanks

COPEY
05-05-2010, 03:58 AM
Nope - with Kevlar you'll have to generate much of your own pace/power. From what I've read (never used it), Cyberflash isn't considered a powerful poly, but my guess is it packs more juice than Kevlar (which I have used).

Lambsscroll
05-05-2010, 05:08 AM
A set of crossfire 17g or 16g both come with a 16g cross string so the power from the string bed will be the same since the mains are kevlar and they don't stretch. In the case of a 17g synthetic string compared to a 16g synthetic string the 17g will stretch more due to having less material. This results in more power.

Lambsscroll
05-05-2010, 05:23 AM
I would go with crossfire 16g since its more durable and the playability is much better than a poly thats dead.

COPEY
05-05-2010, 05:37 AM
I would go with crossfire 16g since its more durable and the playability is much better than a poly thats dead.

The poly has to go dead first. Prior to "going dead" reviews suggest that the playability of Cyberflash is very good. That doesn't mean you'll like it, however. It's certainly true that Kevlar is durable, plays consistent until it breaks (the cross will most likely break first), but in my opinion it has a flat feel to it, which I didn't mind.

Again, if you're looking to buy sets, try 'em both. Strings and how they play are highly subjective from person to person, so if you have the opportunity (or inclination), give both types a whirl and see what you think.

Lambsscroll
05-05-2010, 05:49 AM
All true what you said COPEY. I think cost though has some merit in all of this. He stated he doest live in a place where the strings are cheap. I'm guessing crossfire will last twice as long as a poly and playability of crossfire isn't bad at all.

blackfrido
05-05-2010, 05:50 AM
bump?
i need to restring by this friday

thanks

no, they don't go dead as fast as a poly

The_Question
05-05-2010, 07:58 AM
I've used Crossfire II 17, and currently playing w/Cyberflash 17 but hybrid w/gut.

These strings are very different from each other. Crossfire goes dead right from the start. It is pretty stiff. If memory serves me correct, it's more stiffer than Prince Pro Blend, which is the same type (kevlar & syn gut).

Cyberflash is much softer than Crossfire II. It doesn't really hold the tension too well for me. It's a rather responsive string, considering it's poly.

And if you want power out of these strings, forget Crossfire, but if you must, go w/16G on either one of them...

Irvin
05-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Hello,

i'm thinking of getting either crossfire II or cyberflash
the problem is that polys get "dead"
does crossfire go "dead" as fast?or it doesn't go dead but loses tension only?
both have not too bad reviews.
I don't have a choice as these should be the best strings i can get in my area, and they don't come cheap( i'm not from USA)

Andre Agassi used to say he liked Prince ProBlend (Kevlar / Syn Gut,) "Because it is nice and dead." Kevlar is dead to start with and stays that way but you get incredible spin.

Irvin

OMGOAT
05-06-2010, 01:23 AM
thanks guys
just sent my racquets to the shop
aero strike with cf II and apdc with cf 17

Tennis_Crazed
05-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Andre Agassi used to say he liked Prince ProBlend (Kevlar / Syn Gut,) "Because it is nice and dead." Kevlar is dead to start with and stays that way but you get incredible spin.

Irvin

I've never tried kevlar... you think kevlar gives better spin than poly??

Irvin
05-06-2010, 02:49 AM
I've never tried kevlar... you think kevlar gives better spin than poly??

If spin is what you are looking for nothing is better than Kevlar / SG. BUT you will lose a lot of power going to Kevlar. If you hybrid kevlar with poly (something I never did) you may not get as much spin. I think it is the big difference between the Kevlar and syn gut that makes the difference.

Irvin

Sizz
05-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Irvin, shoot me an email when you get a chance. Noticed your sig and wanted to ask you about your stringer/wise combo. sizz @ gatech . edu