PDA

View Full Version : Best Low Cost String Reels?

tray999
05-03-2010, 02:43 AM
After being away from stringing rackets since 1982 (use to work part time in a pro shop), I have decided to purchase a stringer and start stringing again. I want to practice by stringing up my friend's old rackets for FREE using a low cost reel. They know what they are getting, so no issues. So what would be a good/best low cost reel for me to purchase based on the above parameters.

drakulie
05-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Gosen OG Micro Sheep.

If you want a poly, go with Genesis SpinX or Black Magic. For the money, they can't be beat, and in my opinion outperform Luxilon.

*breaksracquet
05-03-2010, 04:40 AM
Definitely Gosen OG Sheep Micro is a must for reels.

I was also gonna say Isospeed "Baseline" series has really good reviews and rather inexpensive. I have the baseline control string and enjoy it. I have yet to try the Genesis string, but I have heard good things for this brand as well.

hoodjem
05-03-2010, 07:37 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ISOSPEED_Baseline_Spin_String_17L_Reel/descpageACISO-BASESPIN.html

ISOSPEED Baseline Spin String 17L Reel
Price: $39.99

Heck. You might even like the way it plays.

schenkelini
05-03-2010, 07:53 AM
I like ProSupex Synthetic Spiral Flex. It is a little more then Gosen, but I think it is worth it.

MuscleWeave
05-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Topspin has good prices, and the distributor, in Massachusetts, offers some nice strings in half reels.

Preston
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I like ProSupex Synthetic Spiral Flex. It is a little more then Gosen, but I think it is worth it.

Agreed completely. I keep a reel of this around at all times. I just recently hit their Titan syngut, and it too is fantastic. Feels a little crisper with a touch more power than the spiralflex.

I also just recently hit the Gosen OG micro sheep or whatever. I felt this was a crap string. I couldn't ever find the sweet spot, it felt dead immediately, lots of vibration up the frame, I stopped playing with it after 1hr and cut it out when I got home.

tray999
05-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Thank-you all for your responses, keep them coming as I am taking notes notes.

David123 I already made a thread on this. search it up

David123, I did do a search, but I guess I used the wrong search wording. If you could give me the link I would be grateful!

mikeler
05-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Agreed completely. I keep a reel of this around at all times. I just recently hit their Titan syngut, and it too is fantastic. Feels a little crisper with a touch more power than the spiralflex.

I also just recently hit the Gosen OG micro sheep or whatever. I felt this was a crap string. I couldn't ever find the sweet spot, it felt dead immediately, lots of vibration up the frame, I stopped playing with it after 1hr and cut it out when I got home.

I also did not like Gosen the one time I tried it.

Xenakis
05-03-2010, 10:00 AM
+1 On the Pro Supex Spiral Flex, surprisingly decent string for the money (that's cheaper here in the UK than Gosen, which is fairly pricey for some reason).

I use Gamma Advantage. It's a fairly stiff syn gut type string but it's black and the outer wrapping is smooth not rough like most syn guts and multis (e.g. PSGD).

Similar to RIP Control which I like too and like that string it doesn't go brittle and make that cracking sound when you straighten the strings out once you've been using it for a while.

I would treat it like a poly and keep the tensions fairly low but I deffo recommend the string (in the UK it's about 25 for 220m reel, uber value).