PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon and RPM Blast Tension Recommendation

/////AMG
05-03-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm planning to string up the Genesis Typhoon soon and pre ordered the RPM Blast. Should I string them at my current tension or these strings needs to be lower a'la Lux BB? Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

drakulie
05-03-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm always of the train of thought that one should try to keep everything as much the same when trying out a new string.

This way, if you string it at the same tension you are use to with other strings, you are better able to know if you like the string or not. If you change up tension, you may not know if it is the change of tenions or string you like/dislike.

That said, if you are use to playing with soft strings (syntehtics/natural guts/multis), you may want to drop a few lbs.

Good luck.

PED
05-03-2010, 11:01 AM
^^I agree with Drak re the scientific method and keeping as many variables constant as possible so you can get a true read on the new string.

Having said that, :)
I will add that I'm using Typhoon myself since last week and really wished I'd gone up 2 or 3 lbs to compensate for the power. I like the string and will consider switching but it's quite powerful and I'm having a difficult time getting a true read on how it will play.

2 things are for sure about typhoon: 1. the spin is excellent and 2. it holds tension like nothing else :)

drummerdan
05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm always of the train of thought that one should try to keep everything as much the same when trying out a new string.

Agreed.

Also, I got a response from Genesis on this and they said that no compensation is necessary (either up or down) on tension from the way you normally string up your poly.

/////AMG
05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys.....will string them up at my regular 57 lbs.

davidahenry
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I will add that I'm using Typhoon myself since last week and really wished I'd gone up 2 or 3 lbs to compensate for the power. I like the string and will consider switching but it's quite powerful and I'm having a difficult time getting a true read on how it will play.

I agree with both PED and Drak...

First, like Drak said, it is best to only change one variable at a time when testing something new. Therefore, leave the tension the same as your current poly setup.

Secondly, like PED said, after testing Typhoon at your current tension level, you may find that you need to increase the tension by a couple of pounds. I play with Alu Power Rough at 57 lbs., and if I make the switch to Typhoon as my string of choice, I'll probably increase it to 58 lbs. or 59 lbs.

Good luck, and please report back on your findings.

Take care.

DH

PED
05-03-2010, 03:47 PM
DH, thanks for pointing me in the direction of this great string. I particularly like the size: the 1.26mm seems perfect and I can feel the "fuller" stringbed over the 1.23mm of spinX. I believe that when you measure it, alu is also 1.23mm.

It's a great string but it's really powerful. I've enjoyed it but would enjoy it alot more at 58/56 instead of 54/52 ;)

kslick
05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
agree with Typhoon being a powerful poly. I have it with NRG2 in the cross and having a hard time adjusting to the power. I could up the tension but would rather not. Maybe I should try a different cross. But I do like the feel of the string.

PED
05-04-2010, 07:37 AM
agree with Typhoon being a powerful poly. I have it with NRG2 in the cross and having a hard time adjusting to the power. I could up the tension but would rather not. Maybe I should try a different cross. But I do like the feel of the string.

I don't think it's the nrg that's upping the power even though it's quite powerful on it's own. Typhoon has got a lot of oomph but it's quite nice all around.

Just curious on my part, but since the typhoon is so soft, why don't you want to move up the tension?

kslick
05-04-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't think it's the nrg that's upping the power even though it's quite powerful on it's own. Typhoon has got a lot of oomph but it's quite nice all around.

Just curious on my part, but since the typhoon is so soft, why don't you want to move up the tension?

I guess no real reason, it is a soft poly. Just was use to using previous polys which were very stiff and uping the tension was not the best choice.

PED
05-04-2010, 12:08 PM
^^Thanks for the answer, I was just curious :)

/////AMG
05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Well...I had it strung a couple of days ago at 57lbs with the Typhoon (17g) and initial hit I hated it and stopped after 15 minutes. For some reason it felt stiff and brittle to me. I figured I'd give it a try again today and now I love it. Could it be because a loss of tension it now feel better for my swing? Anyways, it felt nice and soft with lots of spin. Several times I thought it would go out but it would dip in the baseline. As someone mentioned, it's not the same quality as Lux BB Rough but has the pop like it. It also feels softer in which I prefer. I had to adjust my serve as intially it would go out. Next time I might string it up 5 lbs lower. It's now my prefer string until my set of Bab RPM Blast comes on Monday. I do like the Typhoon over what I am currently using (Kirschbaum Touch Turbo and ocassionally Lux BB Rough). Thanks guys for your recommendations.

schenkelini
05-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I wonder how Typhoon would work at 30lbs ala the low tension thread. I have good luck with Blue Gear. I have two sets of Typhoon. I am thinking of giving it a try.

PED
05-09-2010, 04:07 AM
AMG, not to color your expectation on RPM, but I'll be surprised if you prefer it over the typhoon.

For the first few hours RPM is quite nice but no better than typhoon. It possesses nice spin and power(quite a bit of power)

However, RPM dropped tension on me dramatically after the first few hours. I Iiked it fine, but the price seems bit excessive for what you get.

/////AMG
05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
AMG, not to color your expectation on RPM, but I'll be surprised if you prefer it over the typhoon.

For the first few hours RPM is quite nice but no better than typhoon. It possesses nice spin and power(quite a bit of power)

However, RPM dropped tension on me dramatically after the first few hours. I Iiked it fine, but the price seems bit excessive for what you get.

I think you're right. I finally played with RPM (1 racquet at 57lbs and 1 racquet at 30lbs....just out of curiosity from the other post at low tension). I just felt RPM was alittle too soft of a feel for me. I think those who have tennis elbow would benefit from this string. The trampoline effect on the RPM is incredible that I find I'm hitting out on the baseline when with other strings I'm not. I'm also seeing the ball seems to go over the net much higher than before with these strings. I'm play with them again tomorrow and see if they're any better as I also hated the Typhoon the first time I played with it but loved it the 2nd time. For right now, I'd say the Typhoon fits my swing more than the RPM Blast.