PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about these colleges?

Dream_On
05-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Wartburg (Div 3)
St. Scholastica (Div 3)
Notre Dame College (OH) (Naia, going to div 2)
Monmouth (Div 3)
SUNY Cobleskill (Div 3)
Saint Mary's (MN) (Div 3)
College of Coastal Georgia (JC, going to div 2)

Thanks

ollinger
05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Monmouth is walking distance to the beach (Long Branch, NJ). That's about the best thing I've heard people say about it.;

CTennis11
05-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Pretty sure Suny Cobleskill is pretty weak as is their competition.

tennis08tarheels
05-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeah...all the D3 schools you listed are between weak and mediocre, I'm pretty familiar with D3 tennis and I couldn't have told you for sure that any of those schools actually had a tennis team.

tennisjon
05-03-2010, 07:26 PM
I coach at Drew University in Madison, NJ (D3). Monmouth is actually a D1 team. We played them in a tournament on the women's side and did decently (our 2 beat their 1). We also played Wartburg on the women's side and lost 5-4 without our 1st singles (undefeated in college...singles and doubles). Other than Monmouth being known as a party school near the beach, I have never been to any of the campuses. I can tell you the women's coach is a very good coach and a really nice woman. The men's coach used to coach at Rutgers, but they constantly underperformed there.

El Diablo
05-04-2010, 08:17 AM
tennisjon
I think I may have played doubles with you at one of Norma's Sunday mornings in the park last year. Were you using a ProKennex Ki5?

Dream_On
05-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I coach at Drew University in Madison, NJ (D3). Monmouth is actually a D1 team. We played them in a tournament on the women's side and did decently (our 2 beat their 1). We also played Wartburg on the women's side and lost 5-4 without our 1st singles (undefeated in college...singles and doubles). Other than Monmouth being known as a party school near the beach, I have never been to any of the campuses. I can tell you the women's coach is a very good coach and a really nice woman. The men's coach used to coach at Rutgers, but they constantly underperformed there.

Its monmouth college (IL) - div 3.

So are most of these colleges pretty weak? I really want to go to a half decent college for tennis, to make the most out of it and improve as much as I can.

Anyone have any suggestions for any other colleges to contact maybe? I know its late on now - I am looking to go in sept but its not past the application deadline for a lot of places yet. - In american ratings I would say I am about a 4.0 to 4.5 rating right now (from my tournament results here against equivelent ratings in the last 6 months).. does anyone think junior college might be the best option?

tennisjon
05-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah, that was me in Norma's group. As for schools, you should check us out at Drew Unversity. They are still accepting applications for the fall from what I have heard. We are a good D3 program and hopefully going to nationals after winning the conference this weekend. Our top player has played US Open Juniors and the top 5 are all 4.0 to 4.5 players.

duusoo
05-04-2010, 11:13 AM
St Scholastica a very good program. Mostly because they have an excellent coach. Wells Patten one of the best.

Dream_On
05-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah, that was me in Norma's group. As for schools, you should check us out at Drew Unversity. They are still accepting applications for the fall from what I have heard. We are a good D3 program and hopefully going to nationals after winning the conference this weekend. Our top player has played US Open Juniors and the top 5 are all 4.0 to 4.5 players.

In fact I have filled out the prospective athlete form on the drew univesity athletic site yesterday. :)

tennisjon
05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Great to hear! I am sure Jeff will be in contact with you soon.

Jonny S&V
05-04-2010, 07:56 PM
St Scholastica a very good program. Mostly because they have an excellent coach. Wells Patten one of the best.

We're talking St. Scholastica in Duluth right? This is my fathers alma mater, and they don't have a good team as far as I know.

Dream_On
05-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Great to hear! I am sure Jeff will be in contact with you soon.
He hasnt contacted me.

We're talking St. Scholastica in Duluth right? This is my fathers alma mater, and they don't have a good team as far as I know.

Yeahh, ah okay :?

tennisjon
05-10-2010, 03:23 AM
I would send him an email directly instead of from the website. I asked him if he got any of the prospective athlete forms and he said he hadn't received any in a while. jbrandes@drew.edu

Dover
05-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Wartburg (Div 3)
St. Scholastica (Div 3)
Notre Dame College (OH) (Naia, going to div 2)
Monmouth (Div 3)
SUNY Cobleskill (Div 3)
Saint Mary's (MN) (Div 3)
College of Coastal Georgia (JC, going to div 2)

Thanks

Saint Mary's (MN)

Plays in the MIAC with Gustavus, St. Thomas, Carlton and others. Saint Mary's is located in Winona, MN. Has six indoor courts as well as six outdoor courts. They had a very young lineup this year (4 freshman in the top 6), but held their own very well. I could get you in contact with their coach if you'd like.

Dream_On
05-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I would send him an email directly instead of from the website. I asked him if he got any of the prospective athlete forms and he said he hadn't received any in a while. jbrandes@drew.edu
I have emailed him, drew seems very expensive though much like the other div 3's :(

tennisjon
05-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Yeah, its expensive if you pay full tuition. The average person gets around $17,000 in financial aid. Depending on grades, SAT's and need there can be a lot more or a lot less available. Financial aid packages are done without athletics being involved because its D3. A coach at the D3 level can get you into the school, but all financial matters have to be done separately without influence of athletic ability.

johnkidd
05-12-2010, 11:16 AM
I have emailed him, drew seems very expensive though much like the other div 3's :(

Here is the school I played at: www.findlay.edu (http://www.findlay.edu)

They were NAIA when I played there but they are now DII and play in the GLIAC. They have a strong #1 but drop off some after him.

Dream_On
05-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Saint Mary's (MN)

Plays in the MIAC with Gustavus, St. Thomas, Carlton and others. Saint Mary's is located in Winona, MN. Has six indoor courts as well as six outdoor courts. They had a very young lineup this year (4 freshman in the top 6), but held their own very well. I could get you in contact with their coach if you'd like.
Thanks, however it seems MN isnt where I would like to go however. I would like to go to somewhere a bit hotter. Thanks anyway though
Yeah, its expensive if you pay full tuition. The average person gets around $17,000 in financial aid. Depending on grades, SAT's and need there can be a lot more or a lot less available. Financial aid packages are done without athletics being involved because its D3. A coach at the D3 level can get you into the school, but all financial matters have to be done separately without influence of athletic ability.
Ah okay, I am having a look at the website right now actually. Seems not too bad

Here is the school I played at: www.findlay.edu (http://www.findlay.edu)

They were NAIA when I played there but they are now DII and play in the GLIAC. They have a strong #1 but drop off some after him.
Thanks, I will take a look at it :) It seems a lot of colleges have a strong #1 and 2 but then drop off a bit