PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Pro Hybrid

tennis_pr0
05-04-2010, 07:29 AM
So I have been playing with a full setup of sonic pro on my youtek prestige pro for about a year now, and I love it. Now that I am teaching full time, I decided to try a hybrid to give my arm a rest as I am on the court 40+ hours a week. I normally sting my racquet at 56 pounds with the sonic pro, so I decided to stick some sensation in the crosses at 58 pounds.

It feels completly different. I thought that it would just soften up the string bed a bit, but it gives me a totally different hit now. I hit wiht heavy topspin on both sides, and with this hybrid, I don't feel like I get much ball bite as all. Do you suppose this is because I switched from full poly to hybrid, or did I just use the wrong cross string? Trying to get some input before I go and start spending crazy money on different strings to experiment with. Is the difference between full poly and a hybrid setup like the one i mentioned suppose to be THAT much different?

fgs
05-04-2010, 07:45 AM
it could be that much different since softening up the stringbed gives a completely different deformation of stringbed and ball upon impact.
i played the sensation 1.25 as cross-string for quite a while (still have some left on the reel) in combination with kirschbaum competition 1.20, but i really can't complain about lack of spin (i do hit also heavy topspin off both sides). i usually string my 106 blades at 23 mains / 22 crosses.
it's a long time though since i played (or better said tried to play) full poly, since my shoulder wouldn't take it, but generally, the stiffer the stringbed (be it by the characteristics of the string or the tension), the more spin you get. at the same tension for instance i get some more rpm's with luxilon adrenaline than with the kirschbaum, but it's not as comfortable to play with.

tennis_pr0
05-04-2010, 08:33 AM
I mean I can still get plenty of topspin, but not as much as when I play with the full poly. I feel like grip the ball much better with the full bed of poly. I think I will still play with the poly, and perhaps just teach with the hybrid.

Visene77
05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm sure the tension is a pretty big part of it. Going from full poly to a hybrid and only raised the tension 2lbs.

I bet the same spin is still there, it just feels different at impact now.

runningmann
05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I have experience with hybriding sonic pro, and it really doesn't produce as much spin in a hybrid imo, so your comments seem to back that up. For a better hit, why not try lowering the tension?

scotus
05-04-2010, 10:04 AM
For feeding purposes, try natural gut. It will last a long time if all you are doing is feed balls, and your arm will thank you.

Bet ya your arm is getting beat up more from feeding balls than from hitting full strokes.

tennis_pr0
05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm sure the tension is a pretty big part of it. Going from full poly to a hybrid and only raised the tension 2lbs.

I bet the same spin is still there, it just feels different at impact now.

You might be right. The hybrid feels great on my backhand because I hit that fairly flat, and I'm definitely getting an extra 10 mph on my serve, but I just don't feel like I have the grip on my forehand as much. Maybe I need to just give it some more time. I think sonic pro being soft by itself may have something to do with it as well. I don't think a string like sonic pro is meant for hybriding.