PDA

View Full Version : Tension advice: Nat Gut (Babo VS16) on Prestige Classic 102"

matt33
05-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi,

I've never used natural gut on this frame, hoping to get some advice from those of you who may have...

Prestige Classic/Tour 660/Trisys 300 with 102" head
I typically string Gosen or Gamma TNT at 62-64lbs
I hit fairly flat/moderate topspin off both sides (more solid than whippy)
I have lead tape at 3 and 9
Wanting a solid crack at impact with good plow-through
Want to avoid any feeling of trampoline
Mostly play moderate temperatures San Francisco Bay Area

Advice from any of you who have done some experimenting greatly appreciated

Thanks
Matt

Rabbit
05-04-2010, 08:03 AM
The rule of thumb is to change one thing at a time. So, you should string the gut at the same tension if you follow that rule.

If you like the way a new string job feels with your current set up, then follow the rule. If you like it "broken in" (looser) then maybe knock 2 - 3 pounds off as gut won't lose any tension.

Really, it may take a time or two before you get settled in on exactly what you like best.

Standupnfall
05-04-2010, 08:07 AM
VS16 is such a treat, just go for it. Its very good as mains with Gosen crosses at 1-2 pounds less than the gut as well and I use this to keep the cost down and I feel I personally get less fraying and a few more hours out of it.
If you like Gosen at 62 try the Gut at 62, I find it best around this tension anyway.

matt33
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Ok thanks... sounds like 62 will be a good starting point.

First time around I will see how the full gut setup works. If I dont get much milage I will try gosen 17 crosses

Thanks
Matt

JT_2eighty
05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Ok thanks... sounds like 62 will be a good starting point.

First time around I will see how the full gut setup works. If I dont get much milage I will try gosen 17 crosses

Thanks
Matt

If you do like how it plays, grab a thing of babolat string savers. Once the strings start to fray here and there, pop those in at the appropriate places, then be ready for a nice, long-lasting stringbed of gold!

Racer41c
05-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi,

I've never used natural gut on this frame, hoping to get some advice from those of you who may have...

Prestige Classic/Tour 660/Trisys 300 with 102" head
I typically string Gosen or Gamma TNT at 62-64lbs
I hit fairly flat/moderate topspin off both sides (more solid than whippy)
I have lead tape at 3 and 9
Wanting a solid crack at impact with good plow-through
Want to avoid any feeling of trampoline
Mostly play moderate temperatures San Francisco Bay Area

Advice from any of you who have done some experimenting greatly appreciated

Thanks
Matt

So here's what I would do: If you re-string a racquet at say 64, do you like it best right when you start hitting with it? or after playing with it for an hour? If you like it right away, then string the Gut at the same tension. If you like your racquet after an hour, string the Gut 2 lbs lower. I strung my last racquet +2 lbs and felt that it took quite a while for the tension to come down to the sweet zone. That was with Tonic +. When I tried Klip legend I felt it lost tension faster than the tonic, but nowhere near as fast as any other type of string.