PDA

View Full Version : Any Feedback on the "NEW" Max Touch?

Pages : [1] 2

SteveI
05-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Hi,

Anyone have the new version.. compare it to the older.. or just stand alone feeback..?

Regards,
Steve

drakulie
05-04-2010, 07:14 AM
I'll be getting a set today to try out. Will keep everyone posted. In the meantime, would love to hear from others.

mikeler
05-04-2010, 08:58 AM
I just traded for some more of the old version, but I'm definitely curious about the new version.

SteveI
05-04-2010, 09:15 AM
I am thinking of going for a reel of the new stuff.. Would love to hear feeback. Sounds like the new one is going be a bit crisper and more durable.

Regards,
Steve

mikeler
05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I am thinking of going for a reel of the new stuff.. Would love to hear feeback. Sounds like the new one is going be a bit crisper and more durable.

Regards,
Steve

The softness is what I like about this string, so hopefully it does not change a whole bunch. I suppose I can handle a little extra stiffness if the durability improves.

drakulie
05-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I received the pack today. Looks nearly identical to me as the "original" Maxim Touch.

Will string up my frame tomorrow (full job), and give some feedback tomorrow night.

parasailing
05-05-2010, 09:21 AM
So everyone is referring to Max Touch as the Pro Supex Maxim Touch?

If so, where did you guys purchase this from since TW does not carry it.

drakulie
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
yes, Max Touch is the Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

I'll email you the link to purchase it.

parasailing
05-05-2010, 09:33 AM
yes, Max Touch is the Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

I'll email you the link to purchase it.

Thanks for the link Drakulie, time for me to order a couple of sets to test.

drakulie
05-05-2010, 06:43 PM
I just strung up a Youtek Prestige Pro with the new Maxim Touch. 17 gauge at 63 lbs. DT= 42.

String looks the slightest bit different. Barely noticeable. As for the feel of the string,,,, feels the same (soft vs stiff) . One difference is it doesn't feel as "oliy" as the older version, which makes it easier to string, as it doesn't slide on your fingers when weaving.

Will post thoughts on how it plays after tomorrow night.

The Dampener
05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Just played the new stuff, 17 gauge, strung at 52 lbs., on my Aerogel 100.

Ugh.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but the string just didn't seem as lively as the old stuff. I'm not sure "stiff" is the word I'm looking for. Maybe "sluggish." I was laboring to hit my usual shots, and I noticed it primarily on the serve and fending of body shots.

Who knows? Maybe I was having a bad night. Maybe the new stuff needs a little more break in. But I didn't get the usual friendly feel I've always gotten from the old MT.

I'll post more on second review.

mikeler
05-06-2010, 04:22 AM

Ugh.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but the string just didn't seem as lively as the old stuff. I'm not sure "stiff" is the word I'm looking for. Maybe "sluggish." I was laboring to hit my usual shots, and I noticed it primarily on the serve and fending of body shots.

Who knows? Maybe I was having a bad night. Maybe the new stuff needs a little more break in. But I didn't get the usual friendly feel I've always gotten from the old MT.

Dang, I'm not liking that initial review. I love how MT adds power to a flexible control oriented frame.

JackB1
05-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Dang, I'm not liking that initial review. I love how MT adds power to a flexible control oriented frame.

Most people don't characterise MT as a string that "adds power".

The Dampener
05-06-2010, 05:28 PM

Ugh.

My second hit was more positive.

Admittedly, I was playing a bit better. I think the break in may have helped. Maybe it was all in my mind. Still, as of now, I prefer the old version. It just had that soft yet lively feel I'm used to.

I compared two frames during a changeover, one strung with the new 17 with about two hours of play, and one strung with the old 17 with about 7-8 hours of play. The old stuff appeared off-white, slightly opaque, with little wear. The new stuff looked yellowish, translucent and, get this, had very minor fraying in the sweet spot. Weird.

Still don't have enough court time to make truly objective assessment. So I'm very much looking forward to hearing from the rest of you. Please chime in when you can.

Damp

mikeler
05-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Most people don't characterise MT as a string that "adds power".

It's more powerful than kevlar, poly and synthetic gut to me.

mikeler
05-07-2010, 04:42 AM
My second hit was more positive.

Admittedly, I was playing a bit better. I think the break in may have helped. Maybe it was all in my mind. Still, as of now, I prefer the old version. It just had that soft yet lively feel I'm used to.

I compared two frames during a changeover, one strung with the new 17 with about two hours of play, and one strung with the old 17 with about 7-8 hours of play. The old stuff appeared off-white, slightly opaque, with little wear. The new stuff looked yellowish, translucent and, get this, had very minor fraying in the sweet spot. Weird.

Still don't have enough court time to make truly objective assessment. So I'm very much looking forward to hearing from the rest of you. Please chime in when you can.

Damp

Hmm, the old MT has never frayed on me. That is a pet peeve of mine with string. Again, not liking the initial comments. :(

drakulie
05-07-2010, 05:33 AM

I had my first hit last night with the new MT. Head Microgel Prestige Pro, string at 63 lbs (17 gauge).

I had a somewhat similar experience. String felt very good, but did not seem/feel as lively as the original version, and I would agree that it felt a bit "sluggish", as Dampener pointed out. I wasn't laboring as dampener experienced, and felt it provided the great control, spin, and pop of the original. I'm hoping, like dampener, I have a better second hit with the string.

One other thing I want to point out is I did an ERT reading of the string bed after stringing and got a 42 reading. Before I took it out for a hit yesterday (approx 24 hours later), I got the same reading. After my hit that lasted one hour, I again got the same reading (42). So, no tension loss.

mikeler
05-07-2010, 05:39 AM
^^^ Good review Drak. I'll be curious to hear about the durability next.

drakulie
05-07-2010, 06:06 AM
^^Unfortunately, I was only able to hit for an hour. It started raining very hard. I will be playing a match tonight against a 4.5, so will give an update tomorrow.

The Dampener
05-07-2010, 08:19 AM
drak,

Was the absence of tension loss similar or dissimilar to your experience with the old stuff? And do your readings suggest that we might want to string the new stuff a tad lower?

It's funny how you should point that out. During my first encounter with the string, it didn't feel like the string was breaking-in that much and I was trying to soften the string bed up by lightly stepping on it.

Damp

PS - Plan to get in more hitting on the new MT this weekend. More to come...

drakulie
05-07-2010, 08:28 AM
^^Agreed. Fact that it didn't feel like it was "breaking in", could have been a contributing factor to not feeling as "lively".

After getting back home and checking the DT, I was thinking I may want to lower the tension a bit for my next re-string.

I'll know more tonight.

JackB1
05-07-2010, 08:38 AM
It's more powerful than kevlar, poly and synthetic gut to me.

But so is EVERY multi :)

JackB1
05-07-2010, 08:40 AM
from everything I have read so far, the new MT doesn't offer any compelling reasons to switch from the old.

Preston
05-07-2010, 08:45 AM
from everything I have read so far, the new MT doesn't offer any compelling reasons to switch from the old.

Maybe true for those of you that still have the old... The new version doesn't sound so bad though. I only use it as a cross, so if there is less power for a little more durability while still being soft, I'll take that.

mikeler
05-07-2010, 09:05 AM

Still not sure of your point, but let's stay on topic.

barry
05-07-2010, 10:27 AM
^^Agreed. Fact that it didn't feel like it was "breaking in", could have been a contributing factor to not feeling as "lively".

After getting back home and checking the DT, I was thinking I may want to lower the tension a bit for my next re-string.

I'll know more tonight.

If you could pick up a couple of reels of the old or new, which would you go for?

Still waiting on the new stuff to arrive, but have someone who wants to sell couple of reels of the old.

The Dampener
05-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Except that the old stuff is hard to come by.

drakulie
05-08-2010, 03:23 PM
If you could pick up a couple of reels of the old or new, which would you go for?

The old for sure.

The new stuff is good too. After playing with it for the last few days, it has broken in nicely and feeling very good. Still not as crisp as the old, but not by much.

The Dampener
05-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Mine is fraying as it wears, kinda like NXT. Is yours fraying, too, Drak?

I never got that with the old stuff. It would just pop on me.

drakulie
05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Mine is fraying as it wears, kinda like NXT. Is yours fraying, too, Drak?

I never got that with the old stuff. It would just pop on me.

yeah, it's frayed before it snapped,,,,same as the old.

IceNineTX
05-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Hmm, the old MT has never frayed on me. That is a pet peeve of mine with string. Again, not liking the initial comments. :(

That's with a full bed of MT, right? I tried MT (old) in the crosses with Spin-X in the mains. The center of the bed became extremely frayed after a couple of hours. I really was liking how it was playing, so I'll try 16g and see how long it lasts. Below, you can see a frayed string and one below that snapped.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y360/iceninetx/fray.jpg

mikeler
05-09-2010, 08:13 AM
^^^ Correct it was a full job. MT is a little bit rough so I'm not surprised it is getting chewed up in your setup.

[d]ragon
05-09-2010, 10:22 AM
How would you compare the new MT to NRG2?

The Dampener
05-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi guys.

Here is a photo (pardon the quality) the new Maxim Touch 17 on the left and the old Maxim Touch 17 on the right. Both strung on AG 100s @ 52 lbs. Both have about the same court time logged.

If I'd used a camera with better resolution, you'd see how the new stuff breaks down differently.

I know that Pro Supex is calling this stuff "newly-fromulated." Does anyone know what that means. I'm wondering if the new stuff might be constructed a little differently as well.

Damp

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/JohnInRealLife/MT17s.jpg

chiapants226
05-10-2010, 02:26 AM
how is the power of the maxim touch, new and old versions compared to syn gut? say gosen og sheep micro?

Consigliere73
05-10-2010, 03:06 AM
@ The Dampener.

Wow. The new stuff seems to wear really badly. Alot of tension loss as well. They seem to have made it a bit too soft.....

mikeler
05-10-2010, 04:55 AM
I hate strings that fray. Just a mental block I have but I might be looking for a new string.

SlapShot
05-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Question for MT users - how do you suppose this stuff would fare in a hybrid with a poly main? I've got NRG2 in the cross of my setup right now (Kirschbaum P2 in the main at 59#, NRG2 in the cross at 61#) and it's solid, but I don't want to lay out the cash for a reel of NRG2 if I can avoid it, and it's moving a lot after 5 hours.

IceNineTX
05-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Question for MT users - how do you suppose this stuff would fare in a hybrid with a poly main? I've got NRG2 in the cross of my setup right now (Kirschbaum P2 in the main at 59#, NRG2 in the cross at 61#) and it's solid, but I don't want to lay out the cash for a reel of NRG2 if I can avoid it, and it's moving a lot after 5 hours.

As you can see from my post above, the old stuff probably won't get you 5 hours. It all depends on your stroke though. If the wear is similar, or worse as some are saying, I would not expect much. But I'd love to hear from anyone with this setup on the new formulation.

drakulie
05-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Slapshot, before going to a full bed of Genesis Black Magic in my frame, I was hybriding with the Maxim Touch. It is solid with a lot of the same characteristics of the NRG2.

SlapShot
05-10-2010, 05:51 AM
As you can see from my post above, the old stuff probably won't get you 5 hours. It all depends on your stroke though. If the wear is similar, or worse as some are saying, I would not expect much. But I'd love to hear from anyone with this setup on the new formulation.

Being that I'm using an 18x20, I tend to kill strings tension-wise before I pop them - the NRG2 is pretty well worn, but still has life left. It's shot tension-wise though.

JT_2eighty
05-10-2010, 05:56 AM
I hate strings that fray. Just a mental block I have but I might be looking for a new string.

If you are looking for a good, soft alternative, have you tried Head Intellitour? It is extremely soft with great feel, pinpoint control, and quite low-powered. It's made of polyolefin ribbons, and when I put the RIP Feel in the mains, plays very consistently for a good 14-18 hours until it breaks, and it never frays due to its ribbon construction as opposed to multi-filament strands. Only a buck or two more than the Maxim T. It does tend to move around a lot, but it doesn't notch or fray like most other non-poly strings, especially when you reverse Head's suggested main/cross of this hybrid. The only string that is less-stiff than RIP Feel according to RSI is natural gut. I always have a backup with this in it for those days when comfort calls.

IceNineTX
05-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Being that I'm using an 18x20, I tend to kill strings tension-wise before I pop them - the NRG2 is pretty well worn, but still has life left. It's shot tension-wise though.

Good point. I do have to amend my test case a little as one of those hours with the MT crosses was doing a rapid forehand drill. I probably hit 400-500 in that hour. I hadn't thought about that until just now.

The Dampener
05-10-2010, 07:32 AM
@ The Dampener...Wow. The new stuff seems to wear really badly. Alot of tension loss as well. They seem to have made it a bit too soft.....

Is the tension loss your experience?

I haven't noticed it so much, but I'm not measuring. I actually like the string better as it breaks in a bit.

GS
05-11-2010, 07:03 AM
That TW competitor in Florida that sells Maxie Touch told me they only have the new version for sale. I wish TW would start carrying this popular string.
Hey, anyone want to buy a sealed, old version set of this in a 17 gauge? It's a classic!

drakulie
05-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Is the tension loss your experience?

I haven't noticed it so much, but I'm not measuring. I actually like the string better as it breaks in a bit.

In my one hit, I found the tension maintenance on this version to be much better than the older version.

mikeler
05-11-2010, 07:22 AM
So can anyone compare durability with the old stuff? With that fraying, it looks like it is not as durable.

drakulie
05-11-2010, 07:27 AM
^ IMO, A little better than the old version.

Consigliere73
05-11-2010, 10:08 AM
@ drak

Your views about tension loss and wear seem to contradict Dampener's photos on the previous page.

@ drak + Dampener

Any consensus or agreement on this issue?

drakulie
05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
consig, here is the "mini-review" I did of the string. Although it did begin to fray afterwards, I didn't find it to be that much more magnified than the original. However, the tension maintenance was much better that the original.

I had my first hit last night with the new MT. Head Microgel Prestige Pro, string at 63 lbs (17 gauge).

I had a somewhat similar experience. String felt very good, but did not seem/feel as lively as the original version, and I would agree that it felt a bit "sluggish", as Dampener pointed out. I wasn't laboring as dampener experienced, and felt it provided the great control, spin, and pop of the original. I'm hoping, like dampener, I have a better second hit with the string.

One other thing I want to point out is I did an ERT reading of the string bed after stringing and got a 42 reading. Before I took it out for a hit yesterday (approx 24 hours later), I got the same reading. After my hit that lasted one hour, I again got the same reading (42). So, no tension loss.

The Dampener
05-11-2010, 10:55 AM
My impressions are that the new MT looks yellower, breaks-in slower, and wears with more fraying than the old MT. But that's based on one, new string job. So take it for what it's worth.

I have no views on tension and durability yet.

barry
05-12-2010, 06:43 AM
I must be the kiss of death on strings. For a year or two, I used Babolat Super Fine Play and loved it; then Babolat discontinued the string, and told customers Babolat Synthetic Gut was the same product; which it was not and cost more.

Pro Supex Maxim Touch (old) was great, but the new stuff is crap compared to the old version. It comes apart too easy, and play is even more muted, for $10 a reel more.

Fortunately I have two reels of the old Maxim Touch left, but will not be purchasing anymore Pro Supex products! I would not recommend the new version.

SteveI
05-12-2010, 07:10 AM
I must be the kiss of death on strings. For a year or two, I used Babolat Super Fine Play and loved it; then Babolat discontinued the string, and told customers Babolat Synthetic Gut was the same product; which it was not and cost more.

Pro Supex Maxim Touch (old) was great, but the new stuff is crap compared to the old version. It comes apart too easy, and play is even more muted, for $10 a reel more.

Fortunately I have two reels of the old Maxim Touch left, but will not be purchasing anymore Pro Supex products! I would not recommend the new version.

Sounds like to me (I repeat to me).. that Pro Supex.. decided to move to a new manufacturer to increase (or maintain) profit margin. Gave the specs to the factory and did not get the same string. I am sure some will like old better.. and some the new. I was hoping for a more crisp and less muted string.. it seems to have gone the other direction. While the the new version mantains tension better the fraying will cause users to shy away.. as they might perceive a inferior product..

drakulie
05-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Sounds like to me (I repeat to me).. that Pro Supex.. decided to move to a new manufacturer to increase (or maintain) profit margin. Gave the specs to the factory and did not get the same string. I am sure some will like old better.. and some the new. I was hoping for a more crisp and less muted string.. it seems to have gone the other direction. While the the new version mantains tension better the fraying will cause users to shy away.. as they might perceive a inferior product..

agreed. Good post. I was also hoping for the same feel and/or a bit more crisp, however, as you stated, they went to a more muted feel. All in all, still a very good string, just not what we all fell in love with. :(

Keifers
05-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Many thanks (especially to drak and Damp) for the review comments. I've been a big fan of the old MT 17 and am not pleased at the prospect of a more muted new version -- it seems to me that that moves it away from its wonderful gut-like playing characteristics (crisp feel, deep pocketing and linear response).

I can understand Pro Supex trying a new formulation (maybe to justify a price increase), but I for one would be willing to have the old back and pay a little more for it. To me, the old MT was one of the best-performing multis on the market regardless of price, and a tremendous bargain at its price.

The Dampener
05-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Keifers, as a result of this change, I'm asking myself several questions.

Is it any use trying to lobby Pro Suppex to bring the old stuff back?

Does it make more sense to just get used to the new stuff and not fret over the change?

Is there a suitable alternative out there that shares the same characteristics of MT17?

If so, what is it?

[d]ragon
05-12-2010, 12:46 PM
In case anyone still wants to get their hands on some of the old stuff, the Matrix hybrid consists of BA and the old Maxim Touch. I asked Depot and that's what they told me. I assume though that once they run out of that they will start using half sets of the new MT

mikeler
05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
If you are looking for a good, soft alternative, have you tried Head Intellitour? It is extremely soft with great feel, pinpoint control, and quite low-powered. It's made of polyolefin ribbons, and when I put the RIP Feel in the mains, plays very consistently for a good 14-18 hours until it breaks, and it never frays due to its ribbon construction as opposed to multi-filament strands. Only a buck or two more than the Maxim T. It does tend to move around a lot, but it doesn't notch or fray like most other non-poly strings, especially when you reverse Head's suggested main/cross of this hybrid. The only string that is less-stiff than RIP Feel according to RSI is natural gut. I always have a backup with this in it for those days when comfort calls.

I have enough of the old MT for about 6 or 7 more string jobs and then I have to make a choice of where to go next. I'll probably buy 2 packs of the new stuff to try it out. My elbow is just about healed, so I thought about trying head sonic pro in the mains with MT in the crosses.

Keifers
05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Keifers, as a result of this change, I'm asking myself several questions.

Is it any use trying to lobby Pro Suppex to bring the old stuff back?

Does it make more sense to just get used to the new stuff and not fret over the change?

Is there a suitable alternative out there that shares the same characteristics of MT17?

If so, what is it?
Damp,
Yeah, I hear you. I was hoping that someone from Pro Supex would read my post above and at least start an internal discussion about bringing the old stuff back (maybe as MT Classic).

I'm willing to try the new MT, but from the sound of it, the new is not a real alternative to the old, especially in terms of crisp feel. The old was just a very special combination of playing characteristics -- which is why it attracted the attention and loyalty of many very knowledgeable players. One wouldn't normally expect a multi from a small label such as Pro Supex to garner the accolades that MT garnered.

As far as I know, there are no other strings that can compare with the old MT (including, apparently, the new MT).

IceNineTX
05-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Damp,
Yeah, I hear you. I was hoping that someone from Pro Supex would read my post above and at least start an internal discussion about bringing the old stuff back (maybe as MT Classic).

I wrote a place that sells it asking about it. Below is what I got. I think giving feedback is always a good idea. May or may not have an impact, but worth doing. I think contacting the distributor is probably going to have more impact.

"As the newer version of the Maxim Touch is a new string, I have limited feedback at this time to provide you with a direct comparison between the newer version and the older one. Most of the feedback we have received thus far has been mixed with some players liking while others do not. Unfortunately, I'm unaware of the actual formulation or specific differences between the strings. I will contact the manufacturer and perhaps post additional info once this information becomes available."

v205
05-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Surely there are still places selling the old version in reels?

mikeler
05-13-2010, 05:03 AM
I wrote a place that sells it asking about it. Below is what I got. I think giving feedback is always a good idea. May or may not have an impact, but worth doing. I think contacting the distributor is probably going to have more impact.

"As the newer version of the Maxim Touch is a new string, I have limited feedback at this time to provide you with a direct comparison between the newer version and the older one. Most of the feedback we have received thus far has been mixed with some players liking while others do not. Unfortunately, I'm unaware of the actual formulation or specific differences between the strings. I will contact the manufacturer and perhaps post additional info once this information becomes available."

Cool, keep us updated if Pro Supex responds.

Chris Rizutto
05-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Damp,

I'm willing to try the new MT, but from the sound of it, the new is not a real alternative to the old, especially in terms of crisp feel. The old was just a very special combination of playing characteristics -- which is why it attracted the attention and loyalty of many very knowledgeable players. One wouldn't normally expect a multi from a small label such as Pro Supex to garner the accolades that MT garnered.

As far as I know, there are no other strings that can compare with the old MT (including, apparently, the new MT).

People always whine about what they can't get even if the new product is better in every way which it is in my opinion.

drakulie
05-13-2010, 07:07 AM
^^^well, I wouldn't necessarily say people are "whining" about the new MT, more so dissapointed in that it doesn't feel the same, which is true. It is a bit more muted than the original.

SteveI
05-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi,

Don't think "whine" is right in this case. I feel many folks really enjoyed the older version.. and are disappointed with the "new and improved" version (BTW..which is more money I am told). As you might have guessed.. many TT members that come to the stringing section.. really care about the stings/tensions.. set-ups they install in their beloved frames. If you are playing great tennis with a frame or a certain string.. you are sure to be somewhat upset that your fav string is now gone.. only to be replaced with a more expensive option that is not quite what you are used to. Players with arm/wrist/shoulder problems that have found this string to make playing safe and fun.. are of course very weary of any changes. I hope that was not a WHINE..:-)

Happy Hitting All,
Steve

The Dampener
05-13-2010, 08:57 AM
People always whine about what they can't get even if the new product is better in every way which it is in my opinion.
Good strategy, Chris. Try to persuade others your opinion is valid by calling them "whiners."

Ice, I don't suppose you'd care to share your contact info. I don't mind adding my two cents.

K, let me try my question in another way. Since the old MT is no longer available, which string is your second choice?

IceNineTX
05-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Ice, I don't suppose you'd care to share your contact info. I don't mind adding my two cents.

Just write to Alex at the depot via their site. I think most, if not all comes through them in the US.

The Dampener
05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Just write to Alex at the depot via their site. I think most, if not all comes through them in the US.

Perfect. That's where I bought my stuff. Thanks, Ice.

Damp

Ripper014
05-13-2010, 09:39 AM
This is a prime example of fixing something that is not broken... if they wanted to add longevity to the string they should have offered a limited run of Maxim Touch Endurance and continued making the regular Maxim Touch that has found a niche in the marketplace.

What they have done is taken away any options available to us forcing us to use this new string or move on to another competitors product. I think it was short sighted by Pro Supex in making this decision, if they could only make one string they should have stayed with what they had... I didn't see anyone complaining about the product... and it was sold out a little while ago. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

I am hoping that they will bring back the original as an option to those that are not happy with the new composition.

The Dampener
05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Just emailed the Depot. If I hear back, I'll share it with y'all.

JT_2eighty
05-13-2010, 09:45 AM

This is how this guy operates. When people disagree with him, he calls them whiners, morons, and other childlike things. I'd say act your age, but you probably are already, it's quite obvious.

sruckauf
05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
This is a prime example of fixing something that is not broken... if they wanted to add longevity to the string they should have offered a limited run of Maxim Touch Endurance and continued making the regular Maxim Touch that has found a niche in the marketplace.

What they have done is taken away any options available to us forcing us to use this new string or move on to another competitors product. I think it was short sighted by Pro Supex in making this decision, if they could only make one string they should have stayed with what they had... I didn't see anyone complaining about the product... and it was sold out a little while ago. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

I agree. Due to the level of established acceptance by knowledgeable players (which as you know is hard to come by), I would have thought Pro Supex was thinking they've got a winner on their hands. I can't think of another example of a lesser-known string getting this level of exposure and accolades, in a very competetive and saturated market. I would love to know Pro Supex execs is thinking with this move.

* Disclaimer: I will say I haven't tried the new one yet.. so I'm not saying it's a worse product. For all I know I'll love it. TBD...

But from a purely business perspective, I am labeling this a really bad move even if I end up liking the new one. Why? Because I know for myself, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I'll be retrying strings in this category and price point from all the other makers all over again.. which downgrades MT from my main go-to string, to having to compete with the others. Hopefully they come out on top, but why put themselves in this position?

All I can think of is they must really feel confident this new one is going to wow their fan base, which we already know has mixed reviews. I don't get it.

IceNineTX
05-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Just emailed the Depot. If I hear back, I'll share it with y'all.

You can always try this too....

http://www.prosupex.com/inquiry.html

The Dampener
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM
My query:

Hello Tennis Depot,

I recently purchased a reel of Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17, and I'm terribly disappointed with it. But I'm not writing to complain. Instead, I'm hoping you can share your insight with me.

I and many other Maxim Touch users have discussed this topic, and we're wondering why Pro Supex decided to change their formulation. The old Maxim Touch was a greatly admired string. But this new stuff isn't getting the same love.

Also, is Pro Supex receptive to feedback from its customers? Many of us wish we were still able to get out hands on the old formulation. Do they have any back stock? Would they consider reissuing the old MT if there were enough support for it? Are we dreaming?

Since the old Maxim Touch is no longer available, many of us are now looking at other alternatives. Our hope is that Pro Supex and Tennis Depot are open to customer thoughts and are willing to keep us informed about the possibility of seeing the old Maxim Touch in the future.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

Tennis Depot's virtually instant response:

Thank you for your e-mail and continued business and support.

Customer satisfaction is a top priority for both us and Pro Supex. With this being a new string, the current feedback on it is very low. However, our local playtesters have reported that this string does not perform nearly as well as the older version of the string. I personally am big on feedback and use it to best improve the quality of the products we carry at the The Tennis Depot. Over the past several days, we have had similar requests to yours regarding the possibility of changing the Maxim Touch or even bringing the older one back. Please understand that it was not our choice to change the Maxim Touch as it was getting great feedback from our customers as well as the USRSA reviewing it as one of the better multis out on the market a few years back.

As of yesterday, we have begun discussion with Pro Supex, the manufacturer and seeing what are the options and possibilities of offering the older version or changing the current string to meet the characteristics as much as possible to the older one. They have told us that they will try to improve this version of the Maxim Touch and possibly offer the older version of the string back to the consumers who were satisfied with it. We, at The Tennis Depot are trying to bring back the old version but I will guarantee that this will not occur till the current stock of the "new" version is gone. This may take anywhere from 1-6 months to occur. Please keep in mind that we do what's best for our customers and me being a 6.0 player, I understand the needs for tennis players and the importance of the right string in your racquet.

If you are seeking to play with the old Maxim Touch for the time being, I highly recommend you purchase the Matrix Hybrid which is a pre-packaged hybrid of the Big Ace and the old Maxim Touch.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can assist you with here at The Tennis Depot.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

My follow up:

Your prompt response and candor tell me a lot about you and Tennis Depot. Thank you.

Having had several positive transactions with Tennis Depot, I am eager to remain a customer and equally eager to follow the progress of your discussions with Pro Supex. What is the best way for me to stay informed without being a chronic nuisance?

JT_2eighty
05-13-2010, 10:40 AM
You can always try this too....

http://www.prosupex.com/inquiry.html

I started browsing around their site.

http://www.prosupex.com/image/tennis/i-tennis-001.html

wow.

mikeler
05-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Well, maybe there is some hope after all of getting the original MT back in production.

IceNineTX
05-13-2010, 10:56 AM
They have told us that they will try to improve this version of the Maxim Touch and possibly offer the older version of the string back to the consumers who were satisfied with it. We, at The Tennis Depot are trying to bring back the old version ...

This smells of New Coke/Old Coke. Will we see Maxim Touch Classic released soon? But at the new price, I'm sure.

Please keep in mind that we do what's best for our customers and me being a 6.0 player, I understand the needs

This struck me as funny. I'm surprised someone hasn't already posted he's a 2.5 and critiqued his strokes. He's lucky he didn't post a video.

Sounds like a decent, responsive, guy though.

sruckauf
05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
This struck me as funny. I'm surprised someone hasn't already posted he's a 2.5 and critiqued his strokes. He's lucky he didn't post a video.

LOL Word!!

Keifers
05-13-2010, 12:25 PM

Point well taken. I will add my voice to yours and Damp's and others.

K, let me try my question in another way. Since the old MT is no longer available, which string is your second choice?
The only one I can really think of is gut, Damp. But, of course, gut doesn't have the weather-resistant properties of MT Classic (there, I went ahead and named it. :)) and it's much more expensive.

Keifers
05-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I've just sent e-mails to Alex and Pro Supex.

The Dampener
05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Here's more...

Thank your reply. After further discussing this situation with the other staff members here at The Tennis Depot, we will do our best to bring in the old Maxim Touch. We will continue discussion with the manufacturer over the course of the next week about what possibilities exist. You can expect a response from me immediately after us being aware of what the end result is. In the meantime, if we receive any samples of Maxim Touch alternatives, we would be delighted if you can join our playtest team and make direct comparisons between the maxim touch.

I can assure you that we do whatever is in our reach to satisfy your needs but cannot guarantee it. Please expect a response from me sometime next week. Should you have any further questions or concerns of how we can improve, we would love to hear from you.

Thank you and All the best!

The Dampener
05-13-2010, 01:28 PM
In addition, my recent new MT string jobs are nearing the end, fraying like crazy, and the beds feel a little dead. I never had that experience with the old MT.

If anyone else has experienced this, let me know. I want to find out if I'm high.

barry
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I think we should hit them where it hurts the most, just don't purchase anymore Pro Supex products; they will get the message quickly.

I am not much on lip service from companies, if they are not offering equal quality you have to wonder if it is profit motivated. Pro Supex Maxim Touch was one of the best Multifilament string on the market, and they maybe maximizing profits by using a cheaper substitute under the same brand name.

Maybe why TW does not carry the product.

The Dampener
05-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Frame 1 is strung with the old MT and has about 8-9 hours of playing time on it.
Frame 2 is strung with the new MT and has about 8-9 hours of playing time on it.

Notice the fraying. I never experienced such fraying with the old MT. Also, the stings have lost their liveliness. With the old MT, the stings stayed lively until they snapped. And just to show you Frame 2 isn't an anomaly...

Frame 3 is also strung with the new MT and has about 8-9 hours of playing time on it.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/JohnInRealLife/thefray3.jpg

GameSetMatch
05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
That's horrendous fraying. The string in Frame 2 also looks like its on the verge of breaking.

Good to see another Dunlop user though!

Keifers
05-13-2010, 04:14 PM
I've just sent e-mails to Alex and Pro Supex.
I got a very quick response from Mitchell at t depot:

"Thank you for your e-mail and feedback on our Pro Supex Maxim Touch. As you may already know, the initial feedback response on the new maxim touch is average to below average. We will do our best to get back the old maxim touch as it was among the best-selling strings we offer here at The Tennis Depot and the #1 best selling non-polyester string. Please see my response below that was used to respond to a similar question/ request given to us earlier today."

The response quoted earlier by Damp followed.

Keifers
05-13-2010, 04:17 PM
I then sent Mitchell some quotes from what I've written here about the old MT and he replied:

"We really value your feedback. I will be sending an e-mail to the manufacturer tonight based on all the feedback we have received thus far. You can also forward your comments to Pro Supex as it will help us get back the old maxim touch. The contact person there is Mr. Kelly Jong.

Thank you and all the best!"

The Dampener
05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Good move, K. I think Ice was right. If we don't squeak, we'll get no oil.

COPEY
05-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Just to be sure, this is the old PSMT (http://teamslo.com/psmt.gif), correct? And this is the new (http://teamslo.com/psmt2.gif)? My package looks like what's displayed in the second link. When I ordered my reel I was under the assumption I had the old stuff until I saw the packaging of what I assume to be the original PSMT at another site. I ordered my reel (Mar 23) before there was talk or mention of a "new and improved" version, so I guess I'll have to order a set of the old stuff just to compare (not that I disbelieve Dampener or his results...but just to be able to "feel" the difference for myself).

drakulie
05-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Sounds like a decent, responsive, guy though.

I could assure you, if it is who I think it is responding to you, he is a 5.5-6.0 player.

Standupnfall
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Just to be sure, this is the old PSMT (http://teamslo.com/psmt.gif), correct? And this is the new (http://teamslo.com/psmt2.gif)? My package looks like what's displayed in the second link. When I ordered my reel I was under the assumption I had the old stuff until I saw the packaging of what I assume to be the original PSMT at another site. I ordered my reel (Mar 23) before there was talk or mention of a "new and improved" version, so I guess I'll have to order a set of the old stuff just to compare (not that I disbelieve Dampener or his results...but just to be able to "feel" the difference for myself).

THe one you have listed as THIS IS THE NEW is the one I have used 3 reels of and have 2 left and have had amazing results.
http://teamslo.com/psmt2.gif

I have never seen this so I am thinking its either really old or the new one
http://teamslo.com/psmt.gif

jim e
05-13-2010, 07:44 PM

The one that you have listed as the old is the old version. I have one reel of17g. remaining of that one, as most of the people I string for no longer hit with that one, due to durability issues.

COPEY
05-13-2010, 07:58 PM
THe one you have listed as THIS IS THE NEW is the one I have used 3 reels of and have 2 left and have had amazing results.

http://teamslo.com/psmt2.gif

Does it fray in the fashion that Dampener's racquet did? According to Depot, this is the same packaging that reflects the "new version" of MT.

The one that you have listed as the old is the old version. I have one reel of17g. remaining of that one, as most of the people I string for no longer hit with that one, due to durability issues.

Thanks Jim...and according to the bolded text in your statement am I to conclude that the people you string for now hit with the "new version" of MT? Or are you saying they've switched to a different string entirely?

jim e
05-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks Jim...and according to the bolded text in your statement am I to conclude that the people you string for now hit with the "new version" of MT? Or are you saying they've switched to a different string entirely?

Switched to a different string.

Standupnfall
05-13-2010, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=COPEY;4649409]http://teamslo.com/psmt2.gif

Does it fray in the fashion that Dampener's racquet did? According to Depot, this is the same packaging that reflects the "new version" of MT. QUOTE]

Perhaps the "new" version and the one from last year share very similar packaging.
I am not a serious string breaker but am going on 20+ hours with zero fraying, just notching with this last set. I love it. Keeping the last reel and a half for myself.

COPEY
05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Could be. I just noticed that on the one I have, as well as the one displayed on the competitor's site, it has the word "New" above Maxim Touch. Now I'm not sure if I have the original or the new stuff lol.

Standupnfall
05-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Could be. I just noticed that on the one I have, as well as the one displayed on the competitor's site, it has the word "New" above Maxim Touch. Now I'm not sure if I have the original or the new stuff lol.

Mine says new and It was ordered before the sellout/ backorder/ re-stock

The Dampener
05-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Guys, I wouldn't trust the labels.

I have an old reel of 16 (purchased a while back) and a new reel of 17 (purchased recently) and they have the exact same label (the dark one).

You might want to confirm what you have from your source.

IceNineTX
05-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Got this message overnight...  

I know the problem of new version of maxim touch-  the reason we  we launch the new modle si the new maxim touch is look more like natural gut.
but pity  is that the coatign materials of new version is not stiff enouhg,so the strign fray after hard hitting.

we will back to produce the old version of maxim touch and  ship the old maxim touch string to my USA distributor
rgds
jong
Prosupex.

GameSetMatch
05-14-2010, 03:26 AM

I know the problem of new version of maxim touch-  the reason we  we launch the new modle si the new maxim touch is look more like natural gut.
but pity  is that the coatign materials of new version is not stiff enouhg,so the strign fray after hard hitting.

we will back to produce the old version of maxim touch and  ship the old maxim touch string to my USA distributor
rgds
jong
Prosupex.

Hey that's good news! Guess, we'll just have to wait for the current stock to clear from the sales channels, and for the old version to start filtering through again. I guess they're not able to give an indication of the timescale?

COPEY
05-14-2010, 04:37 AM
Mine says new and It was ordered before the sellout/ backorder/ re-stock

Ah...good to know. Thanks!

Guys, I wouldn't trust the labels.

I have an old reel of 16 (purchased a while back) and a new reel of 17 (purchased recently) and they have the exact same label (the dark one).

You might want to confirm what you have from your source.

Good suggestion - I'll do that. I'm inclined to think (or at least I hope) I have the old stuff.

As for the pic of the MT below, that's from a different distributor, so I'll e-mail them and confirm whether it's the new or the old MT. The shipping on it is outrageous, but if it is indeed the original MT as Jim suggest, in the iterim it's a source if you're desperate for a reel of it now.

mikeler
05-14-2010, 04:40 AM
Awesome news everyone. Has anyone passed on this forum thread to the Pro Supex people?

IceNineTX
05-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Awesome news everyone. Has anyone passed on this forum thread to the Pro Supex people?

The response I posted was from Pro Supex. I didn't share the thread, but they are well aware of the formulation issues.

The place we buy it from also said they will exchange any new string for the old stuff, but can't exchange any partially used reels. They will get the old formulation back within 2 months.

IceNineTX
05-14-2010, 04:54 AM
I could assure you, if it is who I think it is responding to you, he is a 5.5-6.0 player.

Oh, I have no doubt. I did a bit of googling. But just in these forums, posting NTRP ends up taking a thread to the dumper sometimes. :-)

drakulie
05-14-2010, 04:57 AM
Woo-hoo!!!!!! Icenine, thanks for giving us an update.

Good stuff!!

IceNineTX
05-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Woo-hoo!!!!!! Icenine, thanks for giving us an update.
Good stuff!!

Glad I cleaned off the bay of the last sets I could fine. I think I got 7. That should easily last me the 2 months until we are restocked.

mikeler
05-14-2010, 05:19 AM
Glad I cleaned off the bay of the last sets I could fine. I think I got 7. That should easily last me the 2 months until we are restocked.

That was you! I just picked up a partial reel here on TW. So I've got about 7 sets left. That should get me close to the 2 month period. Guess I'll experiment with a few other multis those last few weeks.

mikeler
05-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Ah...good to know. Thanks!

Good suggestion - I'll do that. I'm inclined to think (or at least I hope) I have the old stuff.

As for the pic of the MT below, that's from a different distributor, so I'll e-mail them and confirm whether it's the new or the old MT. The shipping on it is outrageous, but if it is indeed the original MT as Jim suggest, in the iterim it's a source if you're desperate for a reel of it now.

Yep, let me know. I think that is the last retail source of the old stuff. If I have to, I'll pay the crazy shipping fee.

IceNineTX
05-14-2010, 05:28 AM
That was you! I just picked up a partial reel here on TW. So I've got about 7 sets left. That should get me close to the 2 month period. Guess I'll experiment with a few other multis those last few weeks.

Yeah, sorry. I pulled the trigger wednesday. I think I have 15 stringjobs left as I only use it in the cross now. I'm not sure how long it will last me to be honest. I just upped to 16g as 17g in the cross got chewed up too quick. I've hit for 2.5 hours currently, with no visible fraying (Typhoon main).

IceNineTX
05-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Yep, let me know. I think that is the last retail source of the old stuff. If I have to, I'll pay the crazy shipping fee.

The only other place I found reels at did not have the old stuff. I won't say where due to forum courtesy, but if you google you will see that pic. It's new formulation.

JackB1
05-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Question to all you loyal MT (old) users. What exactly does the old MT give you that you can't get from multi's like NRG2, XOne, Prince Premiere LT, Xcel. The only difference I really found is price.
Besides that, aren't they all pretty similar?

Keifers
05-14-2010, 06:21 AM
From Mitchell at t depot this morning:

"As promised, we have begun discussion with Pro Supex and the old Maxim Touch will indeed come back to the U.S. market. However, it will take a minimum of 6-8 weeks for this to occur as the production will only start next week. For the time being, we are heavily considering removing the new maxim touch from our website to avoid any confusion in the future.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns."

Woo-hoo!! t depot and Pro Supex really stepped up here and listened to their customers. Excellent! :)

GS
05-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Another Festivus miracle!!

COPEY
05-14-2010, 06:46 AM

From M Grip:

I am aware of the problem with the Maxim Touch string. We currently
only have the new strings in stock and are awaiting the reintroduction
of the original.

Respectfully,
Joel B.

So I guess they saturated the market with the new stuff and now are looking to reintroduce the original. I can't imagine that they're going to revert back to the original price.

IceNineTX
05-14-2010, 06:50 AM
I can't imagine that they're going to revert back to the original price.

Especially now that they knew we REALLY want it! I bet it'll be 9.50 now. :-)

mikeler
05-14-2010, 07:01 AM
From M Grip:

I am aware of the problem with the Maxim Touch string. We currently
only have the new strings in stock and are awaiting the reintroduction
of the original.

Respectfully,
Joel B.

So I guess they saturated the market with the new stuff and now are looking to reintroduce the original. I can't imagine that they're going to revert back to the original price.

OK, thanks for the info. As for price, even if they up it a buck or two it still is a good value.

82300sd
05-14-2010, 07:08 AM
From M Grip:

[I]I am aware of the problem with the Maxim Touch string.

Interesting...they now say that the new string is a "problem". Probably bad QC from a different factory producing this at a lower cost. I wonder how many reels of the new formulation they've produced? If people know the old stuff will come back, no one will buy the new stuff anymore. I could see them discounting the new stuff just to get rid of it and off the shelves.

SteveI
05-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Interesting...they now say that the new string is a "problem". Probably bad QC from a different factory producing this at a lower cost. I wonder how many reels of the new formulation they've produced? If people know the old stuff will come back, no one will buy the new stuff anymore. I could see them discounting the new stuff just to get rid of it and off the shelves.

Yuppers..

My guess too... I have been there...

Steve

IceNineTX
05-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Yuppers..

My guess too... I have been there...

Steve

If I were a distributor, I'd make Pro Supex take it back. I think that is what is happening. If the company admits a quality issue, then the distributor should not have to be stuck with faulty inventory.

The Dampener
05-14-2010, 07:48 AM
I got a similar note in my email box. 6-8 weeks for the old MT to arrive.

Ice, thanks for lighting a fire under us. Contacting the authorities seems to have worked.

SteveI
05-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Good work TT members!!

IceNineTX
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Ice, thanks for lighting a fire under us. Contacting the authorities seems to have worked.

Making the tennis world a better place, one string at a time...

Not sure how much impact we had, but I'm OK pretending we were solely responsible. Congrats to all the "whiners". :)

GameSetMatch
05-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Question to all you loyal MT (old) users. What exactly does the old MT give you that you can't get from multi's like NRG2, XOne, Prince Premiere LT, Xcel. The only difference I really found is price.
Besides that, aren't they all pretty similar?

I agree, it's really based on price (though the 4 strings you mentioned do feel slightly different). I can get MT for £4 here, whereas Xcel is £12 and X1 and LT are a shocking £14 for a set!

JackB1
05-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Good work guys!!!

Only problem is now they know how much we like it :(
It seemed kind of a secret before. Hope they dont raise the price.

mikeler
05-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Thank you to everyone that responded on behalf of the rest of us that were too lazy to get around to it!

The Dampener
05-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Congrats to all the "whiners".
This made my day. :)

Hope they dont raise the price.
They probably will, Jack. But wouldn't you take a higher price over no availability at all?

I've had two notably positive experiences from tennis retailers this year. The first was from Alpha. Those folks, in my mind, understand the value of customer service like no other.

The second was from Le Depot. Their responsiveness has been terrific. And I'll single out Mitchell. I know he has to tow the company line a little, but he emailed me several times this week, often more than once a day, to answer my queries and fill me in on developments.

Drak, you seem to be intimately familiar with these guys. Do you get the sense that these folks are genuine?

But they (and Pro Supex) still have yet to deliver. Let's see what happens 6-8 weeks from now. In the meantime, I'm out $100 for a reel of string that is not at all what I thought it would be. :cry:

Damp

mikeler
05-14-2010, 11:06 AM
^ That sucks about the reel. Let's see what happens towards the end of June.

drakulie
05-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Drak, you seem to be intimately familiar with these guys. Do you get the sense that these folks are genuine?

Absolutely. I have met and spoken to all of them. They are a very nice group, and extremely customer friendly. Although it is impossible to make everyone happy, they really do care about the products, and keeping their customers happy with the best quality string they could make available to the public. They are well aware that the string is obviously not what it was, and although they understand some of the older customers will not be happy, they understand some new customers may be happy with the newer string. Still, ultimately, it is really out of their hands what the manufacturers decide to produce, and they ultimately care about their older and more loyal customers. I'm quite certain they will do everything they can to plea with the manufacturer (on our behalf) to bring back the old MT.

The Dampener
05-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks, Drak. Good to hear it's nor a mirage.

Strung another "new" MT job this morn.' I hate to sound like a broken record, but the more I work with this stuff, the more dissatisfied I become. It's very, very fragile.

sruckauf
05-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I just got around to finally testing the new stuff out. I just got one set of the 17 gauge to try it out.

Not a fan. This stuff reminds me of the Tecnifibre E-Matrix string.. which isn't exactly a complement. Maybe not quite that bad, but in that direction.

Standupnfall
05-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks, Drak. Good to hear it's nor a mirage.

Strung another "new" MT job this morn.' I hate to sound like a broken record, but the more I work with this stuff, the more dissatisfied I become. It's very, very fragile.

Ill trade you a set of PolyStar Energy 1.25 for a set of this "new" poor MT just so I know it when I see it.
Let me know, email through profile, or you can find my email in any of my for sale ads.

Thanks

meowmix
05-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Absolutely. I have met and spoken to all of them. They are a very nice group, and extremely customer friendly. Although it is impossible to make everyone happy, they really do care about the products, and keeping their customers happy with the best quality string they could make available to the public. They are well aware that the string is obviously not what it was, and although they understand some of the older customers will not be happy, they understand some new customers may be happy with the newer string. Still, ultimately, it is really out of their hands what the manufacturers decide to produce, and they ultimately care about their older and more loyal customers. I'm quite certain they will do everything they can to plea with the manufacturer (on our behalf) to bring back the old MT.

I'm going to agree with Drak here. They recently tapped me to do some blog work for them, and they've been extremely supportive, friendly, and nice to me. They're really great guys!

The Dampener
05-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Ill trade you a set of PolyStar Energy 1.25 for a set of this "new" poor MT just so I know it when I see it.

Thanks, but I steer clear of polys. Damp

Keifers
05-14-2010, 02:27 PM
drak,
The e-mail I got today from Mr. Jong of PS in Taiwan indicated that they have decided to go back to producing the old version of MT. (No indication of how long before it becomes available.)

alcheng
05-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I got two replay e-mails from Joel in Mighty Grip:

1) This is a start and only my first contact. Just wanted to keep you in the loop as to what is happening in regards to the "new" as compared to the "old" strings. The message below is from the direct importer/distributor in the U.S.
for Pro Supex.

I will be in contact with Pro Supex, the manufacturer over the next couple of days and see if they are willing to take back returns of this product in exchange for the new one. I will have a response for you by middle of next week at the latest and please tell the customer that you will let him know at that time.

I will send further information as it becomes available.
Joel

2) I understand your concern and I have no problem exchanging the "new" for the "old". My only concern is when the "old" will again be available.
Let me do some investigation and see what I can come up with in regards to an ETA.
Just hold on to the ones you received until I have more information for you.
Thank you,
Joel

Hopefully problems will be resolved quickly

The Dampener
05-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Alcheng,

So, Mighty Grip has offered to make an exchange? Hmmm. Are you reading this T-Depot?

Damp

alcheng
05-14-2010, 05:21 PM
I'll have to wait until middle of next week when Joel confirm with me.
So, stay tune.

autumn_leaf
05-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Got this message overnight...  

rgds
jong
Prosupex.

hold on... so what i get from this is that they changed the formula purely for cosmetic reasons? and raised the price?

i know marketing is usually bs, but wow, at least make sure the quality is good. i would think that they would have tested it out before going into mass production unless they decided to make it in a different factory and didn't test out any of the new strings.

GS
05-16-2010, 06:34 AM
The design and color packaging on a reel of the old MT is different from the new stuff, but what about a single set of it? My package is dark grey and black, with 'Pro Supex' at the top in big orange letters. Is it the old stuff or the new? Thanks in advance.

The Dampener
05-16-2010, 07:24 AM
The design and color packaging on a reel of the old MT is different from the new stuff...
It wasn't in the case of my reels. I have one of the old, one of the new, and the packages are identical. As for sets, I've seen similar packaging shown on the web for both, but I have no firsthand knowledge.

000KFACTOR90000
05-16-2010, 08:20 AM
It wasn't in the case of my reels. I have one of the old, one of the new, and the packages are identical. As for sets, I've seen similar packaging shown on the web for both, but I have no firsthand knowledge.

I got my first reel from the depot when they ran out of the 16g and only had the 17g before any talk of the new (says 'new' maxim touch on the reel but maybe this was the same as the old?)

Only day 6 as a cross with cf and good till I shanked the poly.

Notably I start my cross with the starting clamp and the poor old eagnas clamp wouldn't hold it due to the greasiness of the string (has held natural gut ok in the past and I clean it regularly)

New or Old ? I'm happy with the string so far so hope I'm not in for a nasty surprise next time I order (thinking about a bulk order too!)

DOH!

barry
05-16-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm going to agree with Drak here. They recently tapped me to do some blog work for them, and they've been extremely supportive, friendly, and nice to me. They're really great guys!

Maybe great guys, but they have a terrible product, they lack quality control? For those of us who purchased multiple reels, I guest we are stuck with it, and will re-string our customers rackets for free.

From now on, I will stick with brand name strings.

JackB1
05-17-2010, 05:48 AM

^^^^^^^
lol

IceNineTX
05-17-2010, 05:56 AM

Now that we have finished "airing our grievances" with much success. Time for our Feats of Strength!! Get the wrestling mat....

mikeler
05-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Whenever somebody get the "A shipment of the old MT has arrived" e-mail please post it here.

GS
05-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Thankfully, I have a one-year supply left of soft Tecnifibre strings. Then in 12 months, I'll order a set of of the new 'old' Maxie Touch, and give it a try. Even if they raise the price to $9 a set, it's still a bargain softie (as long as they go back to the original formula).

IceNineTX
05-17-2010, 06:55 AM
...Even if they raise the price to $9 a set, it's still a bargain

Aaack. We need to tone down the comments like this. :-) $7.50 was the sweetspot, imho. Heck, maybe $7.00 to win our trust and confidence back is in order.

GS
05-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Aaack. We need to tone down the comments like this. :-) $7.50 was the sweetspot, imho. Heck, maybe $7.00 to win our trust and confidence back is in order.

You're right---$7 a set! Or else I'll never buy a reel later on! Listen to your customers, Pro Supex! Or else, come next Festivus, you'll really be on our list of grievances!!

JackB1
05-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Now that we have finished "airing our grievances" with much success. Time for our Feats of Strength!! Get the wrestling mat....

"I'll get the Prince Original Graphite out of the crawlspace" :)

stanfordtennis alum
05-17-2010, 07:53 AM
hey guys.. i was just doing some browsing on the bay and trapp tennis has some sets left of the old maxim touch.. just wanted to let u guys know

mikeler
05-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Just scooped up the 17g. Only 1 set but better than nothing.

The Dampener
05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
I have an almost new reel of the new MT if anyone wants it. ;)

v205
05-17-2010, 10:44 AM
How many of you use MT as a full bed?

drakulie
05-17-2010, 10:47 AM

Email me at drakulie@aol.com

mikeler
05-17-2010, 11:22 AM

I use it as a full bed.

Standupnfall
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Same here.
12.5 oz, 9pts HeadLight ProKennex Ki5 with Full bed of 17g Maxim Touch at 60lbs.

Keifers
05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
I have full MT 17 in an AG100 @ 55#. Very happy with it.

Ripper014
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM

How bad is this string that you are willing to give up on it already. I had two rackets strung up... one with poly in the mains and MT in the crosses and the other setup in the opposite. The one with the MT in the mains broke normally... but the one with the poly on the mains and MT in the crosses showed the same fraying as shown at the start of this thread.

autumn_leaf
05-17-2010, 02:25 PM

i'm so generous that i'll even pay shipping to help you get rid of it :twisted:

pvaudio
05-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a whole reel minus one set of the old 17g MT if anyone wants to trade me for 40 feet of anything that they've got.

JackB1
05-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I have a whole reel minus one set of the old 17g MT if anyone wants to trade me for 40 feet of anything that they've got.

interested. please drop me a line at jackbandel@gamil.com

pvaudio
05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Done! :)

IceNineTX
05-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Uh, are you saying you want to trade a reel of old MT (minus 1 cut out set) for a set of anything else? I'll bite. :-) But I'm guessing I didn't understand this correctly. Email me via the TT link <--- if you haven't already found something you like.

pvaudio
05-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Uh, are you saying you want to trade a reel of old MT (minus 1 cut out set) for a set of anything else? I'll bite. :-) But I'm guessing I didn't understand this correctly. Email me via the TT link <--- if you haven't already found something you like.I think you have enough common sense to understand what I was trying to say. :)

And emailed.

mikeler
05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
^ I'll outbid the others! Send me an email.

The Dampener
05-18-2010, 03:14 PM
When did our thread on Maxim Touch become EEEbaaayyy?

ynot101
05-19-2010, 11:17 AM
So is it for sure? That there bringing back the 'old' version??

JackB1
05-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Question..........since the packaging hasn't changed, how do you tell which one you are getting if you are buying a random package from someone?

ALso......which string do u guys think is more powerful....MT or NRG2?

Keifers
05-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Comparing MT and NRG2, NRG2 is definitely the more powerful string.

JackB1
05-20-2010, 06:27 AM

You really think so? I always found MT quite lively, but most people think it's "low powered". I didn't really find that at all. Wilson NXT Tour is what I call "low powered".
I even think on the package of MT is says something like "maximum feel and maximum power".

JackB1
05-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Uh, are you saying you want to trade a reel of old MT (minus 1 cut out set) for a set of anything else? I'll bite. :-) But I'm guessing I didn't understand this correctly. Email me via the TT link <--- if you haven't already found something you like.

^^^^

that's how it sounded to me as well. but after a bunch of back and forth emails I found out that he just wants to trade 40 feet off his reel of MT for a set of a different string. I also thought he wanted to trade the entire reel, but he doesn't. Just 40' for a set. Oh well.

JT_2eighty
05-20-2010, 07:16 AM
^Seems about right, 40' for 40', I doubt there are many people out here that enjoy giving stuff away, 620' for 40' anything is not really realistic, and he said to use common sense, but anyways, good job all on setting pro supex straight!

[d]ragon
05-20-2010, 08:43 AM

You really think so? I always found MT quite lively, but most people think it's "low powered". I didn't really find that at all. Wilson NXT Tour is what I call "low powered".
I even think on the package of MT is says something like "maximum feel and maximum power".

How about in terms of durability? New or old MT?

The Dampener
05-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Question..........since the packaging hasn't changed, how do you tell which one you are getting if you are buying a random package from someone?

I think you just have to ask, and hope you get a straight answer. You can also ask about the appearance of the string. Old MT look more off-white and opaque. New MT looks yellowish and translucent.

I always found MT quite lively, but most people think it's "low powered". I didn't really find that at all. Wilson NXT Tour is what I call "low powered". I even think on the package of MT is says something like "maximum feel and maximum power".

The answer to this may be relative to how each of us strings the MT. Kiefers, if I'm not mistaken, strings in the upper 50s. I string around 52 and it it to be adequately powered.

ragon;4670937']How about in terms of durability? New or old MT?

I can tell you what I've learned from just three string jobs. Durability seems about the same. However, the new MT took longer for me to break in, and it seemed to go flat once the fraying got severe. So, while the strings lasted about the same amount of time, I felt like I got less quality time with them.

[d]ragon
05-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I think you just have to ask, and hope you get a straight answer. You can also ask about the appearance of the string. Old MT look more off-white and opaque. New MT looks yellowish and translucent.

The answer to this may be relative to how each of us strings the MT. Kiefers, if I'm not mistaken, strings in the upper 50s. I string around 52 and it it to be adequately powered.

I can tell you what I've learned from just three string jobs. Durability seems about the same. However, the new MT took longer for me to break in, and it seemed to go flat once the fraying got severe. So, while the strings lasted about the same amount of time, I felt like I got less quality time with them.

Thanks Damp

Keifers
05-20-2010, 12:34 PM

I used 55 as my reference tension in my AG100s. Strings included TNT2 Pro Plus 17L, Yonex 850, gut/syn hybrid, and Big Ace/MT hybrid, as well as full MT 17. I found MT low powered compared to these strings -- and it is compared to NRG2 as well, is my guess.

MarrratSafin
05-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I just got a set of Maxim Touch and it looks like it's still the old version. Same packaging and string looks identical. Does the new one looks different in any ways? Btw I used the 'pro supex sampler pack' option.

The Dampener
05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Does the new one looks different in any ways?
^^^Read up a few posts.

My mistake, K. For some reason I thought your were stringing in the 58-60 range. Musta confused you with someone else.

Keifers
05-20-2010, 08:04 PM
No problemo, Damp. Cheers.

The Dampener
05-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Anybody new try this yet? I'm curious to know if my experiences are similar to anyone else's.

I'm also debating whether to resell it cheap here or ask the supplier for a refund.

mikeler
05-22-2010, 03:57 AM
^ I'm going to wait for the original to get back in stock. With a knee injury a month ago and a nasty intestinal virus this week, my current supply should be enough to get me through.

The Dampener
05-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Yikes, Mike. Heal up soon.

mikeler
05-22-2010, 12:36 PM
^ It's these little breaks from the game that make me appreciate it even more when I can play it again. Especially if I have my trusty ORIGINAL maxim touch :)

armsty
05-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I string all my crosses with Maxim Touch and from my point of view it's basically the same. It's a bit less oily, but still has that distinct oily feel. I think as a cross it plays the same.

The Dampener
05-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I string all my crosses with Maxim Touch and from my point of view it's basically the same. It's a bit less oily, but still has that distinct oily feel. I think as a cross it plays the same.

armsty, while stringing, did you feel the new version was less flexible and more fragile? My new stuff ghosts under the slightest pressure and is really tricky to string though covered holes because of how delicate it is.

And was you use it, do you find that it frays and quicker or any more than the old stuff?

Damp

JackB1
05-23-2010, 06:49 AM
For those of you that struggle with stringing MT because of how soft and mushy it is, wouldn't a good idea be to use a "firmer" string for the crosses and just use MT for the mains? The crosses is where you always run into these issues and the stringbed will still mostly feel like MT anyway. Personally, I like MT Mains with Big Ace Micro crosses. A soft co-poly would work nice for the crosses or if you have TE issues, you could use a syngut or a "firmer" multi?

The Dampener
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
After stringing and playtesting the new MT on several frames, I've concluded it's not for me. So I emailed our supplier and asked if they, or Pro Suppex, would consider a credit, refund, or even partial refund, since I made my purchase under the impression I was buying a quality string.

The supplier said that the owner of Pro Supex was traveling so they couldn't really do anything for me at this time. His suggestion? Try selling it on ****.

Really? Make it some other sucker's problem. Sigh. I'm becoming less enthusiastic about developments than I was last week. I hope I'm wrong. We shall see.

Damp

Keifers
05-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Wow. I find that disappointing, Damp. (I don't think TW would make that kind of suggestion.)

The Dampener
05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah, no kidding. I was expecting better. Especially considering how forthright they were about the problem a week ago.

parasailing
05-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Too bad I never got a chance to hit with the old Maxim but the new one plays okay. From what people have said about the old, I can only imagine how good a string it was.

The Dampener
05-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Had further email exchanges with the retailer after expressing my concerns. He says he remains confident the old MT is coming back. He just can't say when.

mikeler
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Had further email exchanges with the retailer after expressing my concerns. He says he remains confident the old MT is coming back. He just can't say when.

I think the last time somebody mentioned this they said it would be 6-8 weeks. I remembered that 8 weeks from that post was around July 9th. Hopefully it comes back by then.

mikeler
05-25-2010, 09:32 AM
So what other soft relatively inexpensive multis are out there if I run out of the old MT?

The Dampener
05-25-2010, 11:08 AM
That "6-8 weeks" comment may have been me. It's what I was originally told. But what I was told yesterday was "we don't know for sure."

mikeler
05-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Maybe it has always been this way, but on the main Pro Supex page they are calling it maxim touch "classic".

http://www.prosupex.com/prod1.html

The Dampener
05-28-2010, 03:56 PM
They also list only the 16G. Wish they'd put out a press release outlining their intentions.

alcheng
06-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Good News!!

I just received an e-mail from Joel at Mighty Grip:

"Hi Alex,
Just heard back from the distributor here in the U.S. They will take back the new strings and either swap them out for another type or wait for the new strings to come back into stock which could take a few more weeks.
The new strings will be discontinued. What a fiasco.
Let me know what will be best for you.
Respectfully,
Joel B. "

Cheers

:):)

mikeler
06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
^ Great news! I've noticed my Maxim Touch (the old version) is lasting longer in the hot weather. Anybody else finding that to be true with their setups?

The Dampener
06-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Amazing.

Because I got the opposite word this morning from the Depot.

Stay tuned, friends. I have a long story to share with you about this, probably later this evening when I have more time.

sstchur
06-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Amazing.

Because I got the opposite word this morning from the Depot.

Stay tuned, friends. I have a long story to share with you about this, probably later this evening when I have more time.

I will be VERY interested to hear your story.

I don't have high hopes, and I'm getting ready to give up on Maxim Touch. I'm already seeking an alternative.

mikeler
06-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Damp does have quite a story! If I run out of my MT, I'm going to give the Isospeed Pro a try. Same stiffness rating so hopefully it will be as soft.

Standupnfall
06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Bump... News on 17g?

JackB1
06-09-2010, 09:38 AM
I find NRG2 VERY similar in soft feel to MT.

mikeler
06-09-2010, 09:47 AM
^ Kind of expensive though. Anybody try Alpha Gut, Isospeed Pro, Isospeed Control or Tourna Quasi Gut? These seem like the only alternatives near the MT price and stiffness range.

Bad Dog
06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
^ Kind of expensive though. Anybody try Alpha Gut, Isospeed Pro, Isospeed Control or Tourna Quasi Gut? These seem like the only alternatives near the MT price and stiffness range.

In addition to new/old Maxim touch, I have hit with IsoSpeed Pro (Classic) 17. One of the differences is that IsoSpeed Pro (Classic) 17 is thinner and gives better spin than Maxim Touch 17. But if you happen to like IsoSpeed Pro (Classic) 17, you might consider Head Rip Control 17, which may be most similar to ISP(C) 17.

I will be hitting with the new Tourna “Quasi Gut” 17 either this weekend or next week – before Tennis Warehouse stocks it. Will try to keep you informed.

Toad
06-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Sorry for posting this here but...pvaudio do you have anymore Maxim Touch? I have a customer who uses it wanting their racket restrung. I can trade string or just pay for it. Send me an email via my profile link. Thanks!

mikeler
06-12-2010, 01:56 PM
On my iPhone, it would appear that the 16g MT is back in limited supply. This is assuming that the mobile web page I'm looking at is up to date.

mikeler
06-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Just got home and checked their main site. Maxim Touch 16 is back in sets. You can only order 5 at a time due to availability. Hopefully the 17g comes in soon.

StuckInMalibu
06-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Just got home and checked their main site. Maxim Touch 16 is back in sets. You can only order 5 at a time due to availability. Hopefully the 17g comes in soon.

Has anyone bought these strings? Can you confirm they are the originals?

mikeler
06-16-2010, 04:48 PM
I can't post the link per TTW's policies, but it says this underneath the description of the string:

"This is the original Maxim Touch. Due to limited supply and high demand, there is a maximum of 5 sets per order."

I e-mailed them yesterday and Mitchell said to check back in 3 or 4 weeks about the 17 gauge and they would have a better idea of when it might be back in stock.

Shangri La
07-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Bump... is the Max touch 16g set offered at Mighty G (cheaper than the Depot) original? They also have 16g/17g in reels - are those original or new? and thanks for the thread.

mikeler
07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
^ Why not check with them and let us know. The reels are most likely the new version.

JackB1
07-14-2010, 11:45 AM
I have one set of original MT in 16g if anyone's interested. I prefer 17g strings.

Shangri La
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Just checked with them: they have 16g original in sets but the reels are new. ETA of new old (>.<) is still mid August.

edberger
08-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Got an email from Mitchell. Maxim Touch classic is now available in both sets and reels! I'll be playtesting a set to see whether it matches the original before taking the plunge on more reels.

The Dampener
08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Please keep us posted, edberger. There are many here eager to know the results.

mikeler
08-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Got an email from Mitchell. Maxim Touch classic is now available in both sets and reels! I'll be playtesting a set to see whether it matches the original before taking the plunge on more reels.

Got the same e-mail. He said it should be here by Saturday, but considering I'm in the same state, there is a chance it could be in my mailbox on Friday. He is sending me 2 sets and asked that I give one to a friend. A buddy of mine who uses an extremely stiff racket with synthetic gut strung very high is going to try it out. He is a home stringer like me and I've been telling him for months to try it out before he busts his shoulder again.

The Dampener
08-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Mike, we'll be awaiting your report with great anticipation.

mikeler
08-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Mike, we'll be awaiting your report with great anticipation.

I'm a little concerned because I'll probably break my strings today. If the package does not come until Saturday, I may have to play 3 or 4 sets today and Saturday morning with one racket unless I want to string a racket up Friday and then bust the strings out on Saturday (which I really don't want to do). Oh well, nice problem to have these free strings.

drakulie
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I play-tested the original Maxim Touch today.

Gone is the "oily" residue of the newly formulated string. The color, texture, and charactersistics of the original are all back. I compared this set with the original string I had left over, and they look and act identical when stringing.

I hit for about 2 hours. There is no signs of fraying, and that magic feeling of the original is back. I will be ordering a reel next week.

Look forward to hearing from other play-testers.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE TRY IT OUT FOR YOURSELF BEFORE COMMITING TO BUYING REELS.

rodrigoamaral
08-12-2010, 06:40 PM

Gone is the "oily" residue of the newly formulated string. The color, texture, and charactersistics of the original are all back. I compared this set with the original string I had left over, and they look and act identical when stringing.

I hit for about 2 hours. There is no signs of fraying, and that magic feeling of the original is back. I will be ordering a reel next week.

Good to hear the the Original Maxim Touch is back.. got one of my friends to try it and he loved the old maxim touch

i think a new thread should be created to avoid confusion of this old/new/ oldnew MT.. just my $0.02

The Dampener
08-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I play-tested the original Maxim Touch today...

That's promising. Thanks for the report, Drak.

Keifers
08-12-2010, 07:06 PM

Great news, drak. Thanks. And excellent disclaimer!

drakulie
08-12-2010, 07:18 PM
^^You're welcome guys. I plan on stringing my other frame with the set of strings I had left over to do a side by side comparison.

Anyway, as I said, look forward to hearing from others.

sruckauf
08-12-2010, 08:59 PM

Nice! Thanks much for reporting your playtest. Good news, indeed. Look forward to checking it out when I'm out of Quasi Gut.

parasailing
08-12-2010, 10:05 PM
^^You're welcome guys. I plan on stringing my other frame with the set of strings I had left over to do a side by side comparison.

Anyway, as I said, look forward to hearing from others.

Drak - Are you play testing the 16g or 17g version?

mikeler
08-13-2010, 04:49 AM
Drak - Are you play testing the 16g or 17g version?

I'm guessing the 17g since the 16g has been available for awhile in the packs. As Drak said, I would still suggest buying a pack first before shelling out the money for a reel. Still hoping the Post Office comes through and my sets come in tonight. If so, I have a stringjob that is literally hanging on by a thread that I'll cut out and replace.

drakulie
08-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Sorry everyone, I should have included the gauge information.

As Mikeler suggested, it is the 17 gauge. :)

drakulie
08-16-2010, 05:04 AM
Mikeler, and update on your end????

mikeler
08-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Mikeler, and update on your end????

I received my package Saturday as promised. Unfortunately, this is the wife's birthday "week" so I'm not playing again until Wednesday (if the rains hold off).

I did like the fact that it says Maxim Touch Classic on the package. Just looking at the strings in the package, they appear to be less opaque than the string I have laying around but the texture appears to be the same. I'll be stringing it tomorrow night so I can report back on Wednesday if it feels any different.

I'll also be mailing a set to a buddy of mine who had shoulder surgery last year. I've been trying to get him to buy a set since it is soft. He owes me a review so I'll post that here as well.

drakulie
08-16-2010, 05:59 AM
^^^Thanks.

Yeah, I noticed it had "classic" on the package, although it appears to be some sort of sticker they placed on there. Look forward to your review.

mikeler
08-16-2010, 06:53 AM
^^^Thanks.

Yeah, I noticed it had "classic" on the package, although it appears to be some sort of sticker they placed on there. Look forward to your review.

I played 1 set with my other racket Saturday, so it should be fairly easy to compare both.

coloskier
08-16-2010, 12:03 PM

Head RIP Control is a lot LESS powerful than most string.

mikeler
08-17-2010, 04:52 AM
I opened the package last night and took it into the light to compare with my other reel laying around. In the light, it looks exactly the same and the texture feels the same. Drak was right about the Classic on the package. It is a sticker they put on the previous packaging.

drakulie
08-17-2010, 05:54 AM
^^String it up! :) Waiting to hear your thoughts.

I popped mine last night in the first set. As is typical with this string, it doesn't last me very long, but feels great from the time I string it, until it snaps.

rodrigoamaral
08-17-2010, 06:45 AM
one of my friends who i string for also got a set to playtest and he said this "classic" version is identical to the original max touch..

mikeler
08-17-2010, 06:50 AM
^^String it up! :) Waiting to hear your thoughts.

I popped mine last night in the first set. As is typical with this string, it doesn't last me very long, but feels great from the time I string it, until it snaps.

So how many sets did you get out of it? In the cooler months I was getting about 7 sets out of it. Now with the hotter weather it is closer to 9 or 10 sets which is fine with me.

Last time out the crosses started fraying like gut. I've never seen this string do that before. I ended up breaking a main, but I thought the crosses might go first.

mikeler
08-17-2010, 06:51 AM
one of my friends who i string for also got a set to playtest and he said this "classic" version is identical to the original max touch..

Hopefully I'll have my review tomorrow night. We have gotten lots of afternoon t-storms here lately so who knows.

drakulie
08-17-2010, 07:03 AM
So how many sets did you get out of it? In the cooler months I was getting about 7 sets out of it. Now with the hotter weather it is closer to 9 or 10 sets which is fine with me.

Last time out the crosses started fraying like gut. I've never seen this string do that before. I ended up breaking a main, but I thought the crosses might go first.

I got 4+ sets out of it. I imagine I would have gotten more if I were still using the microgel prestige mid. As it is, I am playing with a 16x19 frame (Youtek Prestige Pro), and unfortunately, it goes thru strings much quicker.

Kcraig
08-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Are most lovers of the Old/Classic MT using 16g or 17g and what tensions? I am dealing with some minor elbow/tricep issues so I'm taking a week off to rest, but will be moving away from full poly (Genesis Typhoon) upon return and going full multi or syn gut. Playing a 98" 16*20 frame (Pacific Xfrce Pro)--what do you MT guys think will work/play/feel better--the 16g or 17g? Also-recommendations on tension--stick calls for 55 +/-5. Thanks so much in advance--:)

IceNineTX
08-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Are most lovers of the Old/Classic MT using 16g or 17g and what tensions? I am dealing with some minor elbow/tricep issues so I'm taking a week off to rest, but will be moving away from full poly (Genesis Typhoon) upon return and going full multi or syn gut. Playing a 98" 16*20 frame (Pacific Xfrce Pro)--what do you MT guys think will work/play/feel better--the 16g or 17g? Also-recommendations on tension--stick calls for 55 +/-5. Thanks so much in advance--:)

I've been using Typhoon mains (58lb) and 16g MT Classic crosses (60lb), FWIW. The MT cross softens it up enough to make it arm friendly for me. I use 16g MT mainly for durability. The 17g only lasted about 2 hours of rallying. I'm really enjoying my current setup.

Kcraig
08-17-2010, 11:17 AM
I've been using Typhoon mains (58lb) and 16g MT Classic crosses (60lb), FWIW. The MT cross softens it up enough to make it arm friendly for me. I use 16g MT mainly for durability. The 17g only lasted about 2 hours of rallying. I'm really enjoying my current setup.

Thanks for the info--will probably move to a hybrid with poly mains once I am confident all arm issues are resolved. Good news is I think I stopped early enough and did not try and play through any pain. I think it is more of a compressed nerve than tennis elbow due to the weird sensation I get sometimes--kinda hard to tell when it is going to hurt--:(. If I go hybrid I will def need to go 16g for durability, but a full job may be good w: 17g. Does the 17g have more bite/feel over the 16g?

mikeler
08-17-2010, 11:20 AM

I use 17g, it is much softer than 16g according to RSI. I'm using a Babolat Pure Storm Tour Plus which is 16 x 20. I started playing with it at 55 pounds and it was a rocket launcher. So I went up to 59 pounds where I've stayed for several months now.

Kcraig
08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I use 17g, it is much softer than 16g according to RSI. I'm using a Babolat Pure Storm Tour Plus which is 16 x 20. I started playing with it at 55 pounds and it was a rocket launcher. So I went up to 59 pounds where I've stayed for several months now.

I had a PSTGT at one time--great stick and the Pacific XFrce Pro is a very similar stick for sure. I am stringing my QuasiGut at 58/56, but that is a 16g. May try some 17g MT Classic and go 60/58. How is the spin production with the MT and PST? thanks-:)

mikeler
08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
I had a PSTGT at one time--great stick and the Pacific XFrce Pro is a very similar stick for sure. I am stringing my QuasiGut at 58/56, but that is a 16g. May try some 17g MT Classic and go 60/58. How is the spin production with the MT and PST? thanks-:)

It's hard to say how much spin comes from the string and how much from the stick since I'm using the extended version. In general a multi is going to give you more pop and less spin. My kick serve seems to bounce very high with this setup but again I think it is more due to the extra half inch on the frame.

The Dampener
08-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Craig, when I suffered from Golfer's Elbow, I used full multis at bottom range tension. I can't say how that might affect your playing, but it sure was forgiving to my arm.

Currently, I use MT (and other multis) @ 50 lbs, even thought my frame's range is 55-65, just because I like it.

mikeler
08-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Craig, when I suffered from Golfer's Elbow, I used full multis at bottom range tension. I can't say how that might affect your playing, but it sure was forgiving to my arm.

Currently, I use MT (and other multis) @ 50 lbs, even thought my frame's range is 55-65, just because I like it.

I also started low for my GE. It definitely helps with durability. For me, each pound I increased tension led to about a set reduction before it snapped.

mikeler
08-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Hey Drak,

Did this stuff seem a little bit harder to string for you? It was so soft that getting the cross string through those upper and lower grommets was a real challenge. 30% chance of rain today so I'm hoping to post my review tomorrow.

JackB1
08-18-2010, 04:58 AM
Hey Drak,

Did this stuff seem a little bit harder to string for you? It was so soft that getting the cross string through those upper and lower grommets was a real challenge. 30% chance of rain today so I'm hoping to post my review tomorrow.

I also had a lot of trouble pushing the soft mushy MT crosses through. I tried just using a syngut for the crosses and it makes stringing MUCH easier and the stringbed still feels soft like a full bed of MT.

drakulie
08-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Hey Drak,

Not at all. Like I said, stringing was the same for this set, and an older set I strung up. Maxim touch has always been a very soft string, so has it's problems when going thru shared and/or blocked grommets.