PDA

View Full Version : Does this string exist?

BC1
05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I am looking for the perfect string that provides good feel, control, comfort, and spin - in that order - without adding additional power. I know that is asking for a lot!

My current set-up is a hybrid of Luxilon BB Alu power 16 in the mains and NXT tour 16 in the crosses, both at 60lbs. I like the way it plays ok, but I don't like the feel - too stiff and harsh. So, I guess I'm looking for a softer string but I don't want to add more power to my already powerful racquet (EX03 Black). I'm not concerned about durability, and I don't think I want poly. Thanks for your help!

tennis005
05-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Maybe switch the mains to the crosses?

JT_2eighty
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
I am looking for the perfect string that provides good feel, control, comfort, and spin - in that order - without adding additional power. I know that is asking for a lot!

Head's Intellitour, strung with RIP Feel in mains and RIP Tour in crosses (it is more durable and plays softer when strung this way, even though Head recommends rip tour for mains).

It plays Exactly in that order: superb feel, great control, great comfort, but no more spin (aside from technique) than any other multi, and very low powered. It is a unique string type that is only similar to some of Isospeed's offerings, and the Rip Tour is similar to Rip control.

The 16 gauge plays softer and lower powered than the 17 which is a bit more lively and has a lil better bite on the ball if you have trouble imparting spin with the 16.

drakulie
05-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Try the Big Ace in place of the Lux.

It's softer than the Lux, has geat control, spin, and pop.

BC1
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
drakulie, sorry for the dumb question, but what brand manufacturers "Big Ace". Not too familiar with all the strings out there.

drakulie
05-04-2010, 10:53 AM
^^No worries, I should have written the whole thing down.

It is Pro Supex Big Ace.

kiteboard
05-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Try ashaway 16 kevlar in the mains.

Ben42
05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I wanted the same characteristics, but poly hurts my wrist.

I've really liked the combo of Prince Original 17 (not duraflex) in the mains with Technifibre Multi-Feel in the crosses.

The PU in the Technifibre keeps the strings from moving too much so it really ups the durability for me. Plus it's very comfy.

The syn-gut is very low powered, but gives me better touch than I've found with poly strings.

Uvijek Argen
05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
BC1- Your set up seems right, I think you should just drop that tension from 60's to high 40's low 50s. I do have all the control,spin and feel, and its super soft on Lux BBO/multi and in my other racquet Genesis Typhoon/multi.

Just play with your tension,no need to look for magical strings in your case. Although didn't like NXT too much.

Good Luck!!:)

BC1
05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.
Question - I'm sure the drop in tension will help with the feel and comfort, but won't a drop of 10lbs significantly increase the power and affect control? or not?

BC1
05-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm thinking about giving up on all these confusing new tech strings, hybrids etc., and just going old school and stringing it up with a good syn. gut!

MuscleWeave
05-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Here are 2 to consider. I haven't played with either of these.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/05/tecnifibre_xr3.html http://www.stringforum.net/stringdb.php?show=1636

http://www.stringforum.net/stringdb.php?show=255

fgs
05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
i'd suggest another cross-string - either isospeed professional or mantis comfort synthetic - and keeping the alu power in the mains.

Staarr
05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Try Weiss Cannon Explosiv! The absolute best for comfort and good for everything else. You can buy them at Tennis Warehouse - $13.50 - a great deal - I like them as much (or better) than natural gut.

Chezbeeno
05-04-2010, 12:50 PM

My current set-up is a hybrid of Luxilon BB Alu power 16 in the mains and NXT tour 16 in the crosses, both at 60lbs. I like the way it plays ok, but I don't like the feel - too stiff and harsh. So, I guess I'm looking for a softer string but I don't want to add more power to my already powerful racquet (EX03 Black). I'm not concerned about durability, and I don't think I want poly. Thanks for your help!

I currently have Lux BB ALU Power Rough 16 in the mains @ 60 and NXT Max 16g in the crosses @ 58 and it feels wonderful, maybe you should give this hybrid a try

Racer41c
05-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Maybe switch the mains to the crosses?

That would make it more harsh and stiff.

BC1, I'm currently going in the same direction as you, I'm switching to a syn gut cross.

But I'm mostly looking for lower power, while your looking for more playability. Wondering if you've ever tried full GUT? Don't be affraid of the power, it plays really nice and lasts a very long time. It took me forever to give it a try because I thought it would be more high powered than Multi, but it's not.

You can pickup a pack of Pacific, Klip or Tonic + for about $30, and it's got most of what your looking for.

PROTENNIS63
05-04-2010, 04:48 PM
!

Does not exist. Maybe in the next life though...

pvaudio
05-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Thank me later: Kirschbaum Spiky Shark or Pro-Line II (the former for more spin, the latter for more feel) crossed with Forten Sweet strung in the crosses.

Autodidactic player
05-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Try Weiss Cannon Explosiv! The absolute best for comfort and good for everything else. You can buy them at Tennis Warehouse - $13.50 - a great deal - I like them as much (or better) than natural gut.

I also really like this string but the OP specifically said "without adding additional power." Explosiv! is definitely a powerful string so I don't think that it is what he/she is looking for.

Racer41c
05-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Thank me later: Kirschbaum Spiky Shark or Pro-Line II (the former for more spin, the latter for more feel) crossed with Forten Sweet strung in the crosses.

I played with a setup of Spin x 17 mains with Forten Sweet 17 crosses tonight. A very nice setup if I do say. Nice feel, pocketing, power level and spin generation. Much better than the multi cross I tried before, which generated low spin and too much power.

pvaudio
05-05-2010, 01:15 AM
I played with a setup of Spin x 17 mains with Forten Sweet 17 crosses tonight. A very nice setup if I do say. Nice feel, pocketing, power level and spin generation. Much better than the multi cross I tried before, which generated low spin and too much power.
Forten sweet is the best cross string for people who want feel. OG Micro is the best cross string for people who like crispness/responsive stringbeds. I liken it like this: the sweet plays as though the ball sticks to the stringbed and allows you to control where it goes. With the OG Micro, each hit tells you everything about how the incoming ball was hit, and what you've done to change it. I prefer the micro if I use a cross, but lots of people prefer the sweet because it's softer.

JT_2eighty
05-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Forten sweet is the best cross string for people who want feel. OG Micro is the best cross string for people who like crispness/responsive stringbeds. I liken it like this: the sweet plays as though the ball sticks to the stringbed and allows you to control where it goes. With the OG Micro, each hit tells you everything about how the incoming ball was hit, and what you've done to change it. I prefer the micro if I use a cross, but lots of people prefer the sweet because it's softer.

How do OG and Sweet compare in terms of longevity and durability?

BC1
05-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Great suggestions guys - thanks and keep them coming.
Curious... would it be ok to use the Forten Sweet on the entire bed? or would this add too much power, even at a high tension?

I'm assuming it would be best to string it as a cross with one of the soft polys that were mentioned. What tensions would you suggest for this set-up?

BC1
05-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Racer41c, Interesting comment about full gut. I haven't thought of that, and didn't think it would be affordable. I guess I need to look into it.

The main thing I'm looking for in my search is comfort, feel, and "neutral" power - what I mean by "neutral" is a string that doesn't add power, or decrease it a lot either. :confused: I was hoping to find one string that could do it all!

kiteboard
05-05-2010, 08:57 AM

LIsten to this guy. He wants neut. power: sppp cross or forten or isospeed pro or head rip control, crossed with A: gut B:spiky shark C:Alu power:

BC1
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM

I'm liking this suggestion - the reviews on the Spiky Shark and Forten Sweet are VERY good and sounds just what I wanted.

I played heavily last night with my original set-up and it seems to have "broken-in" a little. Feeling a lot better, but I'd still like to find something that is a little more comfortable. Not so worried about the power now as I've adjusted my stroke with more topspin and I was hitting great (or maybe it was just a good night!). Maybe me and the strings just need some more play time.

What is the typical a "break-in" period before you get the full feel of a set-up?