PDA

View Full Version : New Maxim Touch emergency.

The Dampener
05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Help.

I've purchased some of this "newly-formulated" 17G Maxim Touch, and the string is so soft that when I try to thread through a covered hole, it ghosts and crumbles.

I'm using chapstick as lube, a la the Yulitle method, with no luck. Even using an awl to move the string isn't working.

Anybody have any life-saving techniques or tips they can send my way. I usually never have such trouble. But this particular string is testing my patience.

Thanks.

Damp

Standupnfall
05-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Cut the string at an extreme angle with something VERY sharp so it doesn't fray

jim e
05-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Help.

I've purchased some of this "newly-formulated" 17G Maxim Touch, and the string is so soft that when I try to thread through a covered hole, it ghosts and crumbles.

I'm using chapstick as lube, a la the Yulitle method, with no luck. Even using an awl to move the string isn't working.

Anybody have any life-saving techniques or tips they can send my way. I usually never have such trouble. But this particular string is testing my patience.

Thanks.

Damp

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=323539&highlight=blocked+hole

The Dampener
05-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the thoughts. Not a rookie here. I've dealt with the blocked holes. But this particular string is so soft, it buckles with even the slightest pressure.

I finally got if through on my 12th attempt by reversing directions and babying it through. Still, I anticipate this problem occuring again.

If anyone has any advice on how to manage blocked holes with incredibly soft string, I'd be deeply indebted to you.

And if anyone has experience with this new-gen Maxim Touch, please share your experiences.

Thanks.

Damp

Ambivalent
05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
superglue the tip to some sort of poly and thread that through first.

autumn_leaf
05-04-2010, 08:49 PM
i just strung a friend's mfil200 plus. i did it 2-piece and i'm wondering if that had anything to do with it. but i had to push a syn. cross through 2 poly main covering the hole....took over 10 minutes...

i wish i had my guiding awl, which is what i suggest you use if you kept it, it's the awl that you fit the string through. but otherwise yea, you have to move the string with a regular awl and cut the multi very thinly. if it's just one string covering the main it shouldn't be such a problem

also, i'm going to do this if i see two mains covering the same hole next time, is to start the crosses before stringing the mains that will block the hole. if the blocked hole is at the end of the crosses that needs to be done...well then, we're screwed.

drakulie
05-04-2010, 08:59 PM
If anyone has any advice on how to manage blocked holes with incredibly soft string, I'd be deeply indebted to you.

Plan ahead. When you are stringing the mains, and one of them is going to block a hole, get a scrap piece of string a few inches long and place that scrap piece of string between the frame and the main that is going to block the hole. when you come back to that hole with the cross string, just grap the scrap piece of string by both ends, pull it, and maneuver the main out of the way enough to put the cross string thru the hole.

another thing you coudl do is use super glue on the tip of the string you are trying to push thru. The super glue will harden the string enough to assist in getting it thru.

sruckauf
05-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Plan ahead. When you are stringing the mains, and one of them is going to block a hole, get a scrap piece of string a few inches long and place that scrap piece of string between the frame and the main that is going to block the hole.

Sage advice, and what I would also recommend. I don't have to do this to too many racquets, but there are a couple Wilsons that I have to perform this on that have lots of blocked holes.

I string Maxim Touch 17 all the time, and know what you're going through. Just keep working it man... you'll get it. Keep clipping the end to give you a clean, aggressive angle to slip through there. Also, with your needle nose pliers, I always push the string through length-wise rather than laterally.. if that makes any sense. This is so the string behind the tip, doesn't bend..

The Dampener
05-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Plan ahead. When you are stringing the mains, and one of them is going to block a hole, get a scrap piece of string a few inches long and place that scrap piece of string between the frame and the main that is going to block the hole. when you come back to that hole with the cross string, just grap the scrap piece of string by both ends, pull it, and maneuver the main out of the way enough to put the cross string thru the hole.

another thing you coudl do is use super glue on the tip of the string you are trying to push thru. The super glue will harden the string enough to assist in getting it thru.

These are the kinda tips I need. Thanks, Drak.

By the way, you have experience with this new MT, right? Do you find it any softer than the old stuff, or is it my imagination?

Damp

The Dampener
05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks, sruck and amb, as well.

Racer41c
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the thoughts. Not a rookie here. I've dealt with the blocked holes. But this particular string is so soft, it buckles with even the slightest pressure.

I finally got if through on my 12th attempt by reversing directions and babying it through. Still, I anticipate this problem occuring again.

And if anyone has experience with this new-gen Maxim Touch, please share your experiences.

Thanks.

Damp

I am a rookie so take this as you may. On of yulite's tricks is to flatten out the end of the string. I tried this on a double blocked hole and it worked really well. I flattend out about an inch and a half so I could grab it on the other side and then pulled it through.

Lakers4Life
05-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Same thing happen to me, I used some scrap poly (16G) with a sharp tip (aka Plastic Awl), threaded it through the block hole. Then squeeze the MT right next to it, then pushed the MT as you pull the poly, in the same direction. Candle wax or chap-stick also helps too.

The Pathfinder Awl is worthless, it's easier to push a tip from the inside/out than using the PF Awl. Also the edge of the tube end tends to damage the strings blocking the hole.

jamauss
05-04-2010, 11:50 PM
I guess I'm just good at it now, but I just strung the crosses on my Vantage VT112 with Maxim Touch 17g and the very bottom cross has to go into the frame through a double-blocked hole and out of the frame also through a double-blocked hole and I just use a fairly blunt awl to bend the main out of the way enough that I can slide the diagonally shaped tip of the maxim touch through the middle of the two mains blocking the hole. This thread kinda makes me feel like I'm good at stringing or something :lol: Maybe it's because I've done thousands of sticks...I don't know.

Some things to think about:
1. The direction (up or down) that the tip faces. Sometimes by turning the tip upside-down the string will slide through the hole and past the blocking main easier.
2. Try pushing through very small lengths of string at a time (like 1 or 2 mm worth) until the string is through to the other side.

I've never had to leave a scrap string in place or use super glue or anything like that - seems almost not worth the hassle...

The Dampener
05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I used many of them to no avail.

It wasn't the sharpness of the tip, or the patient, mm-by-mm feed I was having difficulty with. It was the insanely soft nature of the string. It would ghost and buckle at the slightest touch--whether from the pressure of the pliers or the forward feed.

I'm going to give it another go today trying drak's scrap method. That seems like the one requiring the least effort. Plus, I think the key will be opening up as much of the hole as is possible so that the soft 17g MT won't be impeded as it passes through the grommet.

Anyhoo, thanks again for rescuing me with all your generous comments.

Damp

drakulie
05-05-2010, 09:03 AM
These are the kinda tips I need. Thanks, Drak.

By the way, you have experience with this new MT, right? Do you find it any softer than the old stuff, or is it my imagination?

Damp

Damp, I'll be stringing it tonight to play test. Will post my thoughts.

Also, when/if you get a chance to hit, please post your comparison thoughts on the original vs this new max touch.

Thanks!

JackB1
05-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I used many of them to no avail.

It wasn't the sharpness of the tip, or the patient, mm-by-mm feed I was having difficulty with. It was the insanely soft nature of the string. It would ghost and buckle at the slightest touch--whether from the pressure of the pliers or the forward feed.

I'm going to give it another go today trying drak's scrap method. That seems like the one requiring the least effort. Plus, I think the key will be opening up as much of the hole as is possible so that the soft 17g MT won't be impeded as it passes through the grommet.

Anyhoo, thanks again for rescuing me with all your generous comments.

Damp

The scrap string method WILL work because it doesn't matter how soft the string is, you are pulling it out of the way. It's a little time consuming, but will work 100% of the time. I also thought maybe a thin paper clip would work the same way, but be easier to "hang" in the string and pull down.

JackB1
05-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Another idea would be to hybrid Maxim Touch mains with a slightly firmer multi for the crosses. You will get the same basic feel and playability of full MT, but since you wont be stringing MT crosses, you won't have nearly the same hassle.

The Dampener
05-05-2010, 11:09 AM
The scrap string method WILL work because it doesn't matter how soft the string is, you are pulling it out of the way. It's a little time consuming, but will work 100% of the time. I also thought maybe a thin paper clip would work the same way, but be easier to "hang" in the string and pull down.
Clever. I like it. Perhaps I'll try both methods.

Another idea would be to hybrid Maxim Touch mains with a slightly firmer multi for the crosses. You will get the same basic feel and playability of full MT, but since you wont be stringing MT crosses, you won't have nearly the same hassle.
I've done this with the 16G MT with decent results using Big Ace as the multi. I may try the same thing with the 17G as well.

I just wanted to try out a full bed of this new 17g for comparison's sake.

Lindsay
05-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Your best bet is to plan ahead. Most people use the manufacturer's tie-off holes when stringing in 2 pieces. I always tie off 1 hole away from where I ended, which means opening up a new hole on most Babolat and Wilson frames. The benefit is that you hold better tension as the string doesn't travel as far when its tied off. You also have less string on the side of the frame, helping to prevent blocked holes.

On frames where there's going to be an issue no matter what, I start by opening up the hole BIG! Insert a piece of tubing into the hole, then proceed to install your mains. When you get to the troubled string, just insert it through the tubing. After that, remove the tubing by pulling it out on the inside of the frame. You have to do this obviously before you start weaving.

JackB1
05-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Your best bet is to plan ahead. Most people use the manufacturer's tie-off holes when stringing in 2 pieces. I always tie off 1 hole away from where I ended, which means opening up a new hole on most Babolat and Wilson frames. The benefit is that you hold better tension as the string doesn't travel as far when its tied off. You also have less string on the side of the frame, helping to prevent blocked holes.

On frames where there's going to be an issue no matter what, I start by opening up the hole BIG! Insert a piece of tubing into the hole, then proceed to install your mains. When you get to the troubled string, just insert it through the tubing. After that, remove the tubing by pulling it out on the inside of the frame. You have to do this obviously before you start weaving.

This begs the question....Why don't ALL racquet mfg's let you tie off one hole away from where you ended? Is there any harm in doing that regardless?

Also, where do you get this small tubing that you can insert into a grommet hole?

Lindsay
05-05-2010, 01:01 PM
This begs the question....Why don't ALL racquet mfg's let you tie off one hole away from where you ended? Is there any harm in doing that regardless?

Also, where do you get this small tubing that you can insert into a grommet hole?

You can buy the tubing on TennisWarehouse. I wish all racquet manufacturer's has tie-off holes closer to the end of the string you tension last. Maybe there's a reason for it, but I can't think of one.

drakulie
05-05-2010, 01:46 PM

The reason manufacturers don't engineer frames this way is because it puts too much stress on very little material.

In other words, if you have the tie off hole very close to the last string, there would not be a lot of racquet material in between the two grommets. Being that one of the grommets is already enlarged, it would be even less material. This could lead to cracking the little bit of material between the two.

Also, when enlarging a grommet hole right next to the last string, one is essentially diminishing the material between those two, which is why one needs to be very careful when doing this procedure.

jamauss
05-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Have you tried using an awl to push aside the main string blocking the hole? I'm usually able to use an awl to push (and then hold) the main string out of the way of the hole entirely while I slide the cross string through. Don't push it out of the way more than you need to or you'll risk breaking the main string, but enough to move it aside should be fine.

The Dampener
05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Yes, tried the awl. Eventually got it, but it was a lot of work.

Did another frame today and used, Drak's scrap method. Worked like a charm. Thanks, Drak.

My initial impressions of this string remain--it seems overly soft. Even my tension gripper compresses it.

Consigliere73
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
My initial impressions of this string remain--it seems overly soft. Even my tension gripper compresses it.

Maxim Touch has always been a very soft string. Do you find this new version is even softer?

The Dampener
05-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Maxim Touch has always been a very soft string. Do you find this new version is even softer?
Yes. Maybe I got a bad reel. Maybe I've just been fortunate in the past and my impressions are skewed. But none of the 16g nor 17g I've worked with in the past has been this mushy.

But I don't think anyone should jump to conclusions. I'm just one guy. And I've read others say there is no difference between to old and new versions. It'll be good to get reviews from others.

JackB1
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Yes. Maybe I got a bad reel. Maybe I've just been fortunate in the past and my impressions are skewed. But none of the 16g nor 17g I've worked with in the past has been this mushy.

But I don't think anyone should jump to conclusions. I'm just one guy. And I've read others say there is no difference between to old and new versions. It'll be good to get reviews from others.

Have you hit with it yet? Are these just impressions during stringing?

skyzoo
05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Get a Youtek radical pro. The tie off holes are barely blocked and it definitely is the easiest racquet to string of all time in my opinion.

The Dampener
05-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Just played the new stuff, 17 gauge, strung at 52 lbs., on my Aerogel 100.

Ugh.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but the string just didn't seem as lively as the old stuff. I'm not sure "stiff" is the word I'm looking for. Maybe "sluggish." I was laboring to hit my usual shots, and I noticed it primarily on the serve and fending of body shots.

Who knows? Maybe I was having a bad night. Maybe the new stuff needs a little more break in. But I didn't get the usual friendly feel I've always gotten from the old MT.

I'll post more on second review.

parasailing
05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
I hope you were having a bad day. I just ordered two sets of these based on what others have said about it.

GS
05-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Does anyone know if the new Touch string by the set has a different design or color packaging from the old stuff? I bought a set a month ago and don't know which it is.