PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Cyclone...anyone tried it?

TripleB
05-05-2010, 02:29 AM
I noticed that with Chris Edward's latest 'drop the tension' experiment he is using Volkl Cyclone 16g as his string of choice. Seems to say a lot for the string if one of the top guys at T-W is using a $6.00 a set string in his racquet.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried Cyclone (I'm leaning towards the 17g but welcome your responses on any thickness) and if so what are your thoughts on it compared to other poly / co-polys you've tried?

Anyone tried it as a cross with another poly / co-poly main?

Thanks.

TripleB

Blade0324
05-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I have used this as a main in my hybrids with spiral flex crosses as well as a full string bed with it. I have to say that it is only of my top 3 or 4 strings period. I like it much better than MSV Hex or Luxilon. I find that is seems to hold tension better, gives a more consistant performance and generally performs better all the way around. Not to mention the price being terrific too. I'd say there is a reason that TW is out of it quite frequently.

Lsmkenpo
05-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Best value string on the market, plays as well or better than other polys that cost twice as much.

As far as gauges go, I have played the 16ga and the 18ga, being a textured string the gauges are a little thicker than a smooth poly.

Good spin, good control, doesn't seem to go dead or change feel, plays consistent.

Doubles
05-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Not my favorite string, its a little stiff, in my opinion, and it lost tension quickly, but you get plenty of spin from them...

Shawn James
05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
have a reel of the 16 znd 17 gauge, if you interested, email me at jamessh@usa.redcross.org

nickarnold2000
10-17-2010, 07:58 AM
So, what's the latest on Cyclone? Are you guys still happy playing with it? I'm thinking of replacing Tornado with it.

jonahnaturals
10-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Really nice spin. Crisp feeling strokes all over the court. But must be on the stiffer side, as my elbow flared up a bit at 55 pounds on a semi-flexible stick. I would keep the tension in the low 50's or hybrid it up with a multifilament.

RobFL
10-18-2010, 07:09 PM
I've had to stop using it cause it gave me bad GE. But it did have very good performance, really bites the ball and gets some of that "heavy ball" action due to the higher spin. I think Cyclone can support lower tensions and that might have been my mistake, i had it at 55 in a BLX 95. I think it would have kept control at 48-50 and might not have killed my elbow. I think because of the excellent bite, that vibration goes back into the arm. But i can't take chances with this string anymore. I'll go back to BAM at 52-54 which gives me no problems and has about 85% of the Cyclone performance for me.

mutantducky
10-19-2010, 09:56 AM
got it for a friend and he's enjoying it. I'd say about 30 hours worth of play and still going strong in his dunlop 300 at 53 tension I think.
Volkl made a good move putting out a good poly for less than 6.
He's using it full and no TE problems. Next time I get it strung for him I'll drop it lower without telling him and see how that works.

Shangri La
10-19-2010, 10:12 AM
I only hit with the string for a few minutes due to weather. The string offered very good ball bite, good feel, and felt very solid. A little muted though.

goran_ace
10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Been playing with cyclone for about a month and I love this string. When it is back in stock I plan on loading up. Right now I have it hybrided with pro supex titan and it's not too bad on the arm (looks great too). Might put a multi in the crosses next time I string it up just for precaution until I really get to know how arm-friendly this string is. Bite, tension maintenance have been great, price/value make it even better.