PDA

View Full Version : Vokl gripper strings opinions?

mjnsb1
05-05-2010, 05:00 AM
So im thinking on getting vokl gripper 16 on a head mg prestige.

opinions on this?

schap02
05-05-2010, 05:20 AM
So im thinking on getting vokl gripper 16 on a head mg prestige.

opinions on this?

I've heard a lot of positives about this string from other local strings, I haven't playtested yet and currently have no clients trying it out but let us know what your findings are...

hoodjem
02-19-2012, 12:46 PM
I just tried it today for the first time (17g full-bed).

I was just expecting it to be soft--but it did a lot more.

Very good spin, and excellent power too.

nalvarado
02-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Hoodjem, if you have played full RIP, how do they compare in terms of spin? I would imagine that RIP gives a massive amount of spin comparatively due to the inherent stiffness of the string.

SJSA
02-20-2012, 07:49 AM
It looks like a badminton string and is not durable at all. I recommend you to try other multis such as X-One Biphase, NRG2 and so on.

netguy
02-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Volkl Power Fiber 16g works for me in either full bed or hybrid with WCTT.
Most durable multi I've playtested yet.

sphinx780
02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Hoodjem, if you have played full RIP, how do they compare in terms of spin? I would imagine that RIP gives a massive amount of spin comparatively due to the inherent stiffness of the string.

There is definitely more spin and less pop using a full bed of RIP compared to a full bed of Gripper. RIP is closer to a poly type spin where Gripper offer exceptional spin compared to most multis.

sphinx780
02-20-2012, 10:00 AM
It looks like a badminton string and is not durable at all. I recommend you to try other multis such as X-One Biphase, NRG2 and so on.

What style of game do you play? What racquet do you use? For a multi, I found it to be pretty durable, getting about 10 full singles sets out of them using an 18x20 with an all court power game with a mix of spin and flatter strokes.

parasailing
02-20-2012, 10:16 AM
This string has a good bite for a multi but it not very durable. I broke the string around the 6 hour mark. The string is also a bit difficult to string up making sure you don't kink the string otherwise the strands start to unravel.

Hominator
02-20-2012, 10:28 AM
There is definitely more spin and less pop using a full bed of RIP compared to a full bed of Gripper. RIP is closer to a poly type spin where Gripper offer exceptional spin compared to most multis.

Did you find Rip Control easy on your arm? Thanks.

Ramon
02-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Did you find Rip Control easy on your arm? Thanks.

Compared to softer multis, you tend to think RIP Control will tear up your arm because of the harsh, muted feel, but for some reason it just doesn't. I wouldn't say it's comfortable, but it isn't hard on your arm either. It's easier on the arm than a stiff multi, like Addiction, easier on the arm than a poly, not quite as easy as a soft multi, like NXT.

SJSA
02-20-2012, 11:02 AM
What style of game do you play? What racquet do you use? For a multi, I found it to be pretty durable, getting about 10 full singles sets out of them using an 18x20 with an all court power game with a mix of spin and flatter strokes.

It was strung with Volkl PB 10 MP Light and started to uncoil after 4 hrs of play.
I'm a heavy hitter with top spin.
The racket is now strung with Volkl Cyclone 18g, Much Better!

sphinx780
02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Compared to softer multis, you tend to think RIP Control will tear up your arm because of the harsh, muted feel, but for some reason it just doesn't. I wouldn't say it's comfortable, but it isn't hard on your arm either. It's easier on the arm than a stiff multi, like Addiction, easier on the arm than a poly, not quite as easy as a soft multi, like NXT.

Hominator, I'd echo this.

sphinx780
02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
It was strung with Volkl PB 10 MP Light and started to uncoil after 4 hrs of play.
I'm a heavy hitter with top spin.
The racket is now strung with Volkl Cyclone 18g, Much Better!

Glad you found what worked for you. With the peeling, did you notice any change in playability or play with it until breakage?

spectrablue
02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
One of the better multi out there. Good spin, good tension maintenance, and good durability. I do use a 18X20 racket so durability is good. I cannot vouch for an open string pattern on durability.

hoodjem
02-20-2012, 04:47 PM
It looks like a badminton string and is not durable at all. I recommend you to try other multis such as X-One Biphase, NRG2 and so on.Who cares what it "looks like"?

I have never tried RIP Control. I've tried X-1 and NRG2. I liked NRG2 as it was soft, but it did not have a lot of power.

X-1 was unimpressive--nothing bad--just so-so, IMO.

SJSA
02-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Who cares what it "looks like"?

I've tried X-1 and NRG2. I liked NRG2 as it was soft, but it did not have a lot of power.

X-1 was unimpressive--nothing bad, IMO--just so-so.

I do.
Sorry, man!

coolblue123
02-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Great spin, power, feel.
However, like all good things, it doesn't last too long.

hoodjem
02-21-2012, 11:32 AM
I do.
Sorry, man!Well, I don't like to play with pink or neon green strings, so I guess I can relate.

(I actually like looks of the the tiny silver ribbon running through the Gripper string, but then I would not know what badminton strings look like--having never seen any.)