PDA

View Full Version : The "Golden Sheep™" Rig

skyzoo
05-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Specifications

Racquet: Youtek Radical Pro (4 grams of lead at 3&9; 6 grams of lead in the handle)
Tension: 60x62
String: Golden Set Poly 16L/Gosen OG Sheep 17
Gauge: 16L/17
Surface: Hard
Hours of Use: 5
Stringing Machine: Gamma x-2

Playing Characteristics

Power - 8/10

Control - 9/10

Feel - 7/10

Comfort - 9/10

Spin - 9/10

String Movement - 10/10

Durability- 9/10

Impressions

-First Hit with the string set-up was fantastic, near perfect per say. My shots were being placed with relative ease where I didn't have to back off from shots or feel nervous. My favorite shot with his set-up was the lob to the ad court on the baseline or a short angled forehand to the deuce court.

-The string was not crisp nor mushy allowing for an excellent middle ground feel.

-I previously had this racquet strung at 58x60 with the golden sheep set-up which felt fine but played a bit soft. adding +2 pounds to both the main and the cross made almost a world of difference in the touch and spin departments.

-Golden Set Poly by itself is a relatively soft polyester so I would advise stringing it at least 2 pounds higher.

-Spin potential was superb always allowing for the ball to dip down to the court similar to magnetic attraction. Sure you can't swing for the fences every shot and expect the ball to never go out but swinging out hard is very expectable to do with this set-up.

-Touch was surprisingly satisfying. Never failing to consternate and defy what other strings made me believe what my racquet was capable of.

-String didn't move one bit throughout my play.

- Durability wise this set-up lasted me quite a lot longer than what I expected. I break strings almost every other time I play, So usually I give myself about a 3 1/2 hour window to play with strings. The set-up held up to some serious hitting with heavy notching that was noticeable after it broke. I have broken ALU power quicker than this poly.

-I previously have used MSV Focus Hex 1.18 and BAM in the mains as my main set-up. This string goes far and beyond the other polys. Like I said earlier, its a middle ground string. where MSV is to stiff and overwhelming on the arm and BAM plays to soft, Golden Set plays perfectly in between both.

I am around a 5.0 defensive baseline player and may be playing D1 next year.

Comments/Concerns?

Picture Preview:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ij3ntj.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/4r5ic6.jpg

Doubles
05-05-2010, 03:53 PM
What is it? I'm assuimg that the Sheep implies there is Gosen in it, but what's the other string...

Doubles
05-05-2010, 03:54 PM
What is it? I'm assuimg that the Sheep implies there is Gosen in it, but I can't tell what the other string is...

Doubles
05-05-2010, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=Doubles;4627176]Oops, double post...QUOTE]

skyzoo
05-05-2010, 05:25 PM
What is it? I'm assuimg that the Sheep implies there is Gosen in it, but I can't tell what the other string is...

Wouldn't you like to know...

ClubHoUno
05-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Luxilon Adrenaline mains & Gosen OG Sheep Micro crosses ?

Bud
05-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Wouldn't you like to know...

Are you serious? :-?

skyzoo
05-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Luxilon Adrenaline mains & Gosen OG Sheep Micro crosses ?
Actually it's Golden Set Poly 16L/Gosen OG Sheep 17 (58x60)
Are you serious? :-?

Cálmate hombre. I was joking

[d]ragon
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Sorry to deviate from the thread but Skyzoo, how do you feel the weight is distributed in the YT Radical Pro? Is most of the weight at the top of the head (12 o clock), the sides (3/9), or throat? Thanks

Now back to the thread. Never heard of Golden Set. IS this your first time trying it?

skyzoo
05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
ragon;4628951']Sorry to deviate from the thread but Skyzoo, how do you feel the weight is distributed in the YT Radical Pro? Is most of the weight at the top of the head (12 o clock), the sides (3/9), or throat? Thanks

Now back to the thread. Never heard of Golden Set. IS this your first time trying it?

Since I've added about 8 grams total to 3 & 9 the weighting feels more or less below 3 & 9 but not at the throat.

Golden Set is I believe a Canadian brand reseller. "You may ask how it is that our string could possibly be of the highest quality and yet cost substantially less than the competition? Simply put, the actual cost of most racket string, as seen by the consumer, is many times greater than what is actually paid by the brand name selling it.

There are only a handful of synthetic racket string factories in the world. Brand names buy their product from these factories, as do we. Brand names sell their string to distributors and stores who then sell it to home-based stringers and tennis consumers like you.

Golden Set sells directly to anyone. Eliminating the "middle-man" is one of the ways we ensure that Golden Set prices are always kept as low as possible."

The set-up so far feels excellent. I played with it for the first time yesterday in a tight three set match and it never ceased to stay consistent with great spin potential and control. The only way I can really describe this set-up so far is Pure Filtered Performance. I felt that I was never giving up a facet to gain an advantage of another.

[d]ragon
05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Since I've added about 8 grams total to 3 & 9 the weighting feels more or less below 3 & 9 but not at the throat.

Golden Set is I believe a Canadian brand reseller.

The set-up so far feels excellent. I played with it for the first time yesterday in a tight three set match and it never ceased to stay consistent with great spin potential and control. The only way I can really describe this set-up so far is Pure Filtered Performance. I felt that I was never giving up a facet to gain an advantage of another.

How much did it cost?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found their site

skyzoo
05-06-2010, 01:32 PM
ragon;4629197']How much did it cost?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found their site

Planning on trying it?

[d]ragon
05-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Planning on trying it?

Yeah, depending on what kind of feedback you give it. What's your usual string set up and what tension?

skyzoo
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
ragon;4629488']Yeah, depending on what kind of feedback you give it. What's your usual string set up and what tension?

Pro Supex BAM main/ Gosen og sheep 17 cross 58x60

I stopped using BAM because I wasn't to happy about breaking strings every half hour.

I'll give my set-up a full review by hopefully later next week

Kot_Bigemot
05-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Funny. I ordered some Gloden set strings about a year ago. And just yesterday i decide finally to string one set and give it a try. I strung Maximal 16 in my YT Rad MP. Will give it a try as soon as it stops raining here. I also purchased some Velvet string. Sounds like a good string and i hope it is.
And now i found this post and just though it was funny that i waited a year to try the string and right after i strung a racquet with it, found the post.
I will post some feedback tomorrow or Mon about my experience with it.

skyzoo
05-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Funny. I ordered some Gloden set strings about a year ago. And just yesterday i decide finally to string one set and give it a try. I strung Maximal 16 in my YT Rad MP. Will give it a try as soon as it stops raining here. I also purchased some Velvet string. Sounds like a good string and i hope it is.
And now i found this post and just though it was funny that i waited a year to try the string and right after i strung a racquet with it, found the post.
I will post some feedback tomorrow or Mon about my experience with it.

Great, it's truly an amazing string for the money in my opinion. So far after two hitting sessions i'm surprised with the performance i'm getting out of this poly compared to other high end poly's. I'll give the full review after another hitting session or two or until it breaks. I'll be waiting for you review too. Enjoy the much awaited string.

Kot_Bigemot
05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
I tried GSD Maximal 16 yesterday for 2 hours. I am not sure what happened but, all my shots were like 1-2 ft out. Very accurate but, out. I think may be it is because of low tension i decided to try for some reason. I usually string at 62-64 Lbs. This time i decided to try at 58. I could not believe how much difference it made(or did not). I am still not sure why all my shots were out. May be because of string or because of low tension. Or combination of both.
But 4-6 Lbs could not make THAT MUCH difference right?
I will try stringing same string tonight at 62. See what happens.
But one thing for sure - it felt pretty damn good on the arm. It was a very comfortable feeling on easy shots and on hard shots. And serves were good. I even think that my kick serve was kicking a bit higher than usual.
I hope when string it at 62, i i will be able to hit it within the court again.

Loco4Tennis
05-13-2010, 06:56 AM
ive tried the sample packs, along with some of the multis, they seen to be OK,,, for cross strings!!, i would provably give their multis another look, but the other strings, had nothing special to offer, their are better stuff out there for better price too

skyzoo
05-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Review up....

skyzoo
05-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Update: 61x63 will be my final preferred tension with this set-up.

Kot_Bigemot
05-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Update: 61x63 will be my final preferred tension with this set-up.
Interesting. I am yet to try it again.

Kot_Bigemot
06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Tried Velvet at 63 Lbs. Not very impressed with string overall.
I tried them at low and high tensions and it just did not cut it for me.

skyzoo
06-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Tried Velvet at 63 Lbs. Not very impressed with string overall.
I tried them at low and high tensions and it just did not cut it for me.

Did you try their Polys? i.e. (Poly, and Hex Poly) Great string for an insanely low price.

Kot_Bigemot
06-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Did you try their Polys? i.e. (Poly, and Hex Poly) Great string for an insanely low price.
I do not like any poly strings, sorry. My first choice is natural gut, may be hybrid with some multi but, no poly strings.

skyzoo
06-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I do not like any poly strings, sorry. My first choice is natural gut, may be hybrid with some multi but, no poly strings.

I see, well I am not a multi user myself but i'll take your words as true on velvet.