PDA

View Full Version : How to add length to a string?

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-05-2010, 03:21 PM
When string and you come to the end of your main but you realize the string is too short to reach the tension head, how do you guys lengthen it?
The prestige is 18 mains and I found last time that half a set of gut is too short to wrap around the tension head.
I heard about tying another string to it, but when I tried it, the knot slipped and it failed

How do you guys do it?

PROTENNIS63
05-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Never heard of such thing. Interesting to hear what other have to say...

dancraig
05-05-2010, 03:32 PM
It can be done by tying, but you have to make the knot really big and work fast.
You can make a bridge with a starting clamp, flying clamp or vise grip. Put a scrap piece of string in one side and your "too short" string in the other.

Here it is with a starting clamp:
Pics three and four: http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/pp600.html#pp600op

tenmirage
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I've done this many a times.

If you only need to extend to reach the tension head, tie an extension. Make sure the tie is solid. Practice makes perfect is the key... I never had to use a bridge with a starting clamp...

If you need to extend more (eg. not enough to string all crosses), tie off the last bit then insert a new one... make sure you have your tensions right though.

MarrratSafin
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I've done this many a times.

If you only need to extend to reach the tension head, tie an extension. Make sure the tie is solid. Practice makes perfect is the key... I never had to use a bridge with a starting clamp...

If you need to extend more (eg. not enough to string all crosses), tie off the last bit then insert a new one... make sure you have your tensions right though.

Yup, just an extension with a good knot will do, and much easier than starting clamps etc. For the knot, twist the 2 strings together, 3 rounds, and tie 2 regular knots.:)

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
So would it be best to use a syngut scrap string to tie the knot because it it pliable?

dancraig
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
So would it be best to use a syngut scrap string to tie the knot because it it pliable?

Use the least slippery string you have available and work quick to tension and move clamp before it slips.

ReopeningWed
05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
If it's just slipping after you put the string into the tension head, you can try tying a knot on the end of the string so that it doesn't slip. This is usually what I do.

Autodidactic player
05-05-2010, 04:35 PM
When string and you come to the end of your main but you realize the string is too short to reach the tension head, how do you guys lengthen it?
The prestige is 18 mains and I found last time that half a set of gut is too short to wrap around the tension head.
I heard about tying another string to it, but when I tried it, the knot slipped and it failed

How do you guys do it?

Since your knot keeps slipping, try one of these knots: Double Fisherman's (http://www.spadout.com/wiki/index.php/Double_Fishermans) or Offset Overhand (http://www.spadout.com/wiki/index.php/Offset_Overhand). Neither of these will slip!

ethebull
05-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I keep my starting clamp set-up with a 12" piece of scrap already in place for this circumstance. With my 18x20 100 MP, it happens quite frequently. No big deal once you've dealt with it a time or two.