PDA

View Full Version : what is going on here?

himynameisNIKE
05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/34yqiw9.png

are the strings moving or about to break?

skyzoo
05-05-2010, 05:27 PM

He's hitting some mighty spin.

[d]ragon
05-05-2010, 05:28 PM
They're moving. You can see it here on Federer's forehand as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvZ7prb43Lk

Doubles
05-05-2010, 06:40 PM

That is so cool, seriously....

davydenko_fan
05-05-2010, 09:23 PM
whats up with his buttcap? looks as though it has white out on it...

Gorecki
05-05-2010, 11:44 PM
^^ in fact look like something more round than the head bc... so must be a custom handle shaped out to th elikes of prince or wilson... so he covers the logo! my guess anyways!

bsandy
05-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Some stringers put their tension/date sticker on the butt, or it just may be his # ID for the stick.

jrod
05-06-2010, 04:23 AM
More evidence to support the slippery cross string spin-enhancement theory...

bsandy
05-06-2010, 04:40 AM
What string(s) does he use ?

Pro_Tour_630
05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
^^ in fact look like something more round than the head bc... so must be a custom handle shaped out to th elikes of prince or wilson... so he covers the logo! my guess anyways!
just last week, I doubt he would all of the sudden change BC
http://i44.tinypic.com/24kxsfb.jpg

Pro_Tour_630
05-06-2010, 06:51 AM

please provide source, this photo look like it has been photoshoped :shock:

kiteboard
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
What string(s) does he use ?

Gut main alu power cross, and back and forth.

Gorecki
05-06-2010, 08:27 AM
just last week, I doubt he would all of the sudden change BC
http://i44.tinypic.com/24kxsfb.jpg

true. from that angle it's clear that it is a Head BC.... no questions asked!

my bad!

himynameisNIKE
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
please provide source, this photo look like it has been photoshoped :shock:

really? that was straight form atpworldtour.com :)

himynameisNIKE
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM
is he not using teflon grommets? arent those supposed to keep the strings from moving or something like that?

jrod
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
is he not using teflon grommets? arent those supposed to keep the strings from moving or something like that?

Why would they use teflon if they were supposed to keep the strings from sliding? Seems like a really bad choice of materials if that is the objective.

Furthermore, assuming he is in fact using gut mains and ALU power crosses, this combo is used by others as well, including Federer if I'm not mistaken. I've used this combo before and the spin one can get with it is exceptional. It's not the most economical set-up since the ALU goes dead after a few hours and you have to restring the whole thing. I've since switched to Weisscannon Silverstring which plays almost as well, for a LOT longer.

Pro_Tour_630
05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
really? that was straight form atpworldtour.com :)
please provide link to the atpworldtour.com where you found the photo I did not see it, they probably took it off:confused:

x Southpaw x
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
please provide link to the atpworldtour.com where you found the photo I did not see it, they probably took it off:confused:

You didn't know? The entire atpworldtour.com was photoshopped. Federer is a fictional character.

himynameisNIKE
05-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Why would they use teflon if they were supposed to keep the strings from sliding? Seems like a really bad choice of materials if that is the objective.

Furthermore, assuming he is in fact using gut mains and ALU power crosses, this combo is used by others as well, including Federer if I'm not mistaken. I've used this combo before and the spin one can get with it is exceptional. It's not the most economical set-up since the ALU goes dead after a few hours and you have to restring the whole thing. I've since switched to Weisscannon Silverstring which plays almost as well, for a LOT longer.

i dont know that is why i was asking, i just know that the new head rackets have the teflon things, but he's most likely using a paintjob right?

Shangri La
05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
wow.... this <pic> is an amazing shot... the amount of ball bite is insane

LPShanet
05-06-2010, 08:51 PM

There is no grommet in the world that will keep a string from moving in the center of the string bed. String movement is normal and happens a lot more than people realize because the strings generally move back to much closer to their original position after the hit, at least until they are notched. (I'm not sure why so many amateurs have become so obsessed with trying to have their strings not move.)

himynameisNIKE
05-07-2010, 06:30 AM
There is no grommet in the world that will keep a string from moving in the center of the string bed. String movement is normal and happens a lot more than people realize because the strings generally move back to much closer to their original position after the hit, at least until they are notched. (I'm not sure why so many amateurs have become so obsessed with trying to have their strings not move.)

ah ok i see. so what are they supposed to do then? :oops:

VGP
05-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Grommets are supposed to protect the string from rubbing up against the frame to help prevent premature string breakage. Wooden rackets and metal frames (i.e. Wilson T-2000) didn't have them, and some first generation graphite frames (i.e. Dunlop Max200g, Prince Graphite) didn't have them. People soon found out that

As for their material and size? Companies fiddle with those to enhance feel (harder/softer material), enhance string movement perpendicular to the string bed face (Wilson double holes), or in the parallel direction (Wilson Rollers, Babolat Woofers).......

As for strings sliding against each other as in the pic, those are properties of the strings themselves and LPShanet is correct.

himynameisNIKE
05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Grommets are supposed to protect the string from rubbing up against the frame to help prevent premature string breakage. Wooden rackets and metal frames (i.e. Wilson T-2000) didn't have them, and some first generation graphite frames (i.e. Dunlop Max200g, Prince Graphite) didn't have them. People soon found out that

As for their material and size? Companies fiddle with those to enhance feel (harder/softer material), enhance string movement perpendicular to the string bed face (Wilson double holes), or in the parallel direction (Wilson Rollers, Babolat Woofers).......

As for strings sliding against each other as in the pic, those are properties of the strings themselves and LPShanet is correct.

thanks that was very detailed :)

so is teflon just another racket company gimmick?