PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut old poly? Or wait until they pop?

flashfire276
05-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I have a full string bed of Babolat Revenge 16 strung at 60. I had it since last Fall. And I play 6 days a week from 3-5 hours a day.

It doesn't feel stiff for me, so it doesn't really affect my arm. It still has plenty of life left (in my opinion). But is there any danger of keeping my poly until it pops?

Doubles
05-05-2010, 06:55 PM
If you play 3-5 hours a day and you have still had it since last fall, then cut them out. String your racket up fresh and you will feel a world of difference. Poly shouldn't be in a racket for that long...

lolitsanasian
05-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Agree with what Doubles said.
Whenever I string full poly, I usually end up snapping them in 3 weeks to a month. If it stays on for more than month and half, I cut them out.

The_Question
05-05-2010, 08:51 PM
The better question is, you don't feel any difference compared to when you first had it strung up?

Rex
05-05-2010, 11:12 PM
I have a full string bed of Babolat Revenge 16 strung at 60. I had it since last Fall. And I play 6 days a week from 3-5 hours a day.

It doesn't feel stiff for me, so it doesn't really affect my arm. It still has plenty of life left (in my opinion). But is there any danger of keeping my poly until it pops?

if I were in your position, I would have cut them out and string it new. When I was using pro hurricane tour, I would cut those out every 2-3 weeks at the very most.

Tennis_Man
05-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Yea I agree with the previous post that you should cut them and restring ur racket. You should typically string ur racket about 2-3 months or several times a year.

Big_Dangerous
05-06-2010, 05:34 AM

Yeah even if you aren't breaking strings very often or at all, you shouldn't leave strings in there for too long. Since you are playing a damn lot I'd say restring it immediately. Try to get it restrung at least every 3 months if you can afford it, should you continue to play that often.

Totai
05-06-2010, 05:50 AM
I just play with my strings till they break. Quite honestly, it doesn't affect my game if the strings lose tension, because I subconciously compensate for it, or I cant even tell the difference.

If you are still playing fine with your poly's, just keep them in

autumn_leaf
05-06-2010, 05:50 AM
i string for my college team. most of them don't want to be shelling out $20 per month for restringing so most of them went with all poly. not many of them hit with that much pace (they're relatively flat hitters and touch/volley players) and it takes them nearly 6 months - year to break it, and even then that's on a mishit.

what they notice on a fresh set of string is the amount of power they get. it is noticeably more on the fresh set than their old. they all play fairly often (4-5 times per week) and have no injuries to speak of. I string with PS Big Ace so it's fairly soft compared to other polys.

so from what i heard you should cut it out, but from experience it seems that if it still plays well and you have no signs of injury i would probably keep them.

hcelizondo
05-06-2010, 07:23 AM
^^^ & for the OP one of the biggest advantages of poly is durability. if Poly last that long in your racket it is a clear indication that you don't need poly. Stuck with a good multi or SG.....

autumn_leaf
05-06-2010, 08:07 AM
^^^ & for the OP one of the biggest advantages of poly is durability. if Poly last that long in your racket it is a clear indication that you don't need poly. Stuck with a good multi or SG.....

i know this. but tell this to players that never want to restring their racquets. and as long as the players are happy with how the string plays, who am i to tell them to switch?

decades
05-06-2010, 09:04 AM
don't ask the barber if you need a haircut....

autumn_leaf
05-06-2010, 09:07 AM
don't ask the barber if you need a haircut....

hahaha!! ftw

flashfire276
05-08-2010, 07:42 PM

That's what I'm gonna try when I restring this racquet. I heard really good stuff about XCel, but it's really expensive.