PDA

View Full Version : C10-Pro - stringing for power tips...

Ross K
05-06-2010, 11:29 PM
The C10-Pro 98...

I had a little hit with this the other day and was big-time impressed :cool: ...

It has always been in my top 5 ever frames ever for soft feel, balance and how it swings, solidness, etc... what I've never quite done though is nail it re tension/strings - and what I'm looking for is a powerful set up... a beefed up C10, if you will...

Now, I'm presently favoring full multi jobs or soft poly jobs... so, with that in mind, which string/tension recommendations would C10 Pro users advise?

For ref, the last string-job I had done was PL2/TFX1 both @ 53 lbs...

I'm wondering if 50 lbs is too low for this frame?

Many thanks,

R.

Ross K
05-07-2010, 04:02 AM
^^^

Sorry. Was in a rush this morning and forgot to add:

As well as power, I'm after something very topspin friendly, comfy feel, and decent life before going dead.

Cheers,

R.

Rabbit
05-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Hey Ross, saw your post on the RQ260 thread as well.

What you've described is pretty much C10 Nirvana. :)

I have been playing natural gut in mine and find it to have ample power. If I could suggest that at 56 - 58 or so, it might be precisely what you're looking for.

If you don't break strings, jump out there and buy Pacific Prime 17. If you do break string, try the 16. Prime is by far the most powerful gut I've ever hit with and it will "supercharge" any frame. And then there is 16L which pretty much has both worlds covered. It is also supremely comfortable (think butter) and very spin friendly.

Ross K
05-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Okaaay... Pacific Prime natty g @ 56/57/58... Provided it doesn't cost a arm and a leg, and the string plays good for longer than a few hours I'll definitely look into that... buttery, spinny and supercharged?... sounds like my kind of string set up! :)

Thanks Rabbit.

R.

mikeler
05-07-2010, 12:15 PM
If you want something a little cheaper, try a multifilament string. I'm enjoying Maxim Touch at the moment.

decades
05-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I would hate to have a stick where the only way I could use it was have a really powerful string in it. I think it means you might want to consider a another stick. be that as it may, x-one is a powerful string and cheaper than gut.

2handsbothsides
05-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Prime is by far the most powerful gut I've ever hit with and it will "supercharge" any frame. It is also supremely comfortable (think butter) and very spin friendly.

Have you compared Prime with VS of same gauge?

amorco
05-07-2010, 02:53 PM
^^^

Sorry. Was in a rush this morning and forgot to add:

As well as power, I'm after something very topspin friendly, comfy feel, and decent life before going dead.

Cheers,

R.

I would suggest using MSV Hex 16 or Kirsbaum Helix @ 55lbs full bed. After stringing, polys usually lose 5 lbs. I use a Volkl Tour 10 mid plus grommet for my C10 and gives a head heavy feel, almost like a Head prestige with a closed grommet(top secret), very topspin friendly.

Hotrocks
05-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Give Mantis-Power Poly & Power Synthetic a try. Excellent combination @ a very reasonable price. I was using VS gut & Alu Power, but this hybird got to costly. You might try 52/50 or so. I string relatively low......as I am older than Dirt! Mantis is a GREAT product! Good luck..............

Ross K
05-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys... have noted all your recommendations.

I would hate to have a stick where the only way I could use it was have a really powerful string in it. I think it means you might want to consider a another stick. be that as it may, x-one is a powerful string and cheaper than gut.

^ decades, I do take your point... it is a very special frame imo though in that the feel, speed it swings at, the balance, big topspin, perfect maneuverabilty (for me) etc makes it a very natural fit for me, and as such I'd like to give it another go... you could be right however... tbh the boom and oomph I'm looking for can be found in another Yonex: the RD-7 (this frame is just incredible from the b-line and to serve with imo), but the 1 I have is probably just too hefty and loggy.

I use a Volkl Tour 10 mid plus grommet for my C10 and gives a head heavy feel, almost like a Head prestige with a closed grommet(top secret), very topspin friendly.

^ amorco, as someone who really likes the feel of full caps a la the Prestiges, I find this very interesting...

R.

film1
05-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I have one that has full alu bb at 57 and it has nice pop.

mctennis
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I use the C10 Pro Tour ( 93 sq in head version) of that racquet. I've tried string after string over the years. I've come to use one of two string set ups.
1) full gut string job - usually Pacific Tough gut 16L gauge
2) gut mains and TiMO crosses- seems to cup the ball a little longer than with a full gut string job

I usally string at 56-58 as Rabbit stated also. Buttery smooth shots and great spin. Nice and soft string with no arm/shoulder/wrist issues.

I have tried the Pacific Prime gut. I think it is a little stiffer and I prefer a soft gut. I have tried VS but I didn't like it as well. I thought VS was too expensive and I didn't get the same ball feedback as I do with the Pacific Tough gut or even the Prime gut.
I've also tried all the other gut strings out there, so far, and have not found anything I like better than Pacific gut. My other favorites would be Bow gut and Grand Slam gut.