PDA

View Full Version : Full Poly Question

Donny0627
05-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I am looking for a new string setup and may go full poly. First, here is some background info.

Big first serve(mix between flat and topspin), Average topspin second serve

Groundstrokes that vary from mostly flat to moderate topspin depending on several things

Two handed backhand

Like to hit slices

Approach needs some work

Volleys are average on both sides

Love hitting drop shots

Anyway, I currently play a poly/multi hybrid, and I want to know how much my flatter shots(my biggest concern is my first serve,because I have been looking to add more spin to my forehand anyway) will be affected my the lower powered setup. If I want to maintain the most power is possible, what poly should I use. It must be under $15 a pack, and because I want to buy locally, it must be either: Babolat, Dunlop, Head, Luxilon, Wilson, Gamma, Prince, or tecnifibre.

Thanks in advance...

Lawnmower
05-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Babolat RPM Blast or Luxilon ALU Power

Marc C.
05-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Luxilon ALU power rough is my fav

Aerogel
05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
The best you can get outta those brands its Babolat PHT, Luxilon ALU, Luxilon BB Ace, or maybe Head Sonic Pro (never tried it)
But Luxilon ALU is over $15...
Just experiment with stuff, it's hard to reccommend strings for anyone because everyone's game is unique

Donny0627
05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah but if I go like full PHT, or full Lux, how much will power be affected?

Aerogel
05-07-2010, 04:57 PM
PHT should give you more power than Luxilon, but you'll never know for sure until you try both

davidahenry
05-08-2010, 06:09 AM
Based on your description of your style of play, it doesn't seem like you're a candidate for full poly. Full poly setups really shine for people who love to sit at the back of the court and take big, full swings at the ball - fast racquet head speed with lots of topspin. If your groundies are mostly flat, I don't think you'll get to experience the true magic (topspin generation) of poly. In fact, you'll probably end up disliking it.

Just my $0.02.

Take care.

DH

Donny0627
05-08-2010, 06:54 AM
I understand what you are saying but...:

I am really looking to hit more topspin oriented grounstrokes and I do at times but I like to flatten out some shots depending on the situation...

I am a junior and work out for tennis so power is coming to me more easily than ever... As you can see I use a >12 oz racket so I can make my own power and need a more control oriented setup...

I just don't want to shange to something like full PHT and have it be a huge change and have my serves be this huge loopy topspin thing with no pace...

Thanks for the answer thou