PDA

View Full Version : Best poly cross with gut mains?

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Hi guys, I recently got a YTPMP, and I love it, but i cant seem to get the dipping spin I used to get with my volkl pb10 mid.
I did not change my strokes nor my strings
IS there any other string that would give me better spin as a cross?
I was looking at signum pro hyperion or tornado.
I might switch to the prestige pro, but I heard that it is more polarized, and I love my prestige right now.

stanfordtennis alum
05-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi guys, I recently got a YTPMP, and I love it, but i cant seem to get the dipping spin I used to get with my volkl pb10 mid.
I did not change my strokes nor my strings
IS there any other string that would give me better spin as a cross?
I was looking at signum pro hyperion or tornado.
I might switch to the prestige pro, but I heard that it is more polarized, and I love my prestige right now.

the hyperion and tornado are good options.. i personally would probably go with a softer poly but these aren't bad options by any means

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Would they produce more spin than my current big ace 112?
When I hit the ball, I don't really feel safe swinging full out unless I have an easy ball because of the lack of dipping spin.

Mig1NC
05-08-2010, 07:43 AM
User ClubHoUno is a huge proponent of gut mains and poly crosses. I hope he weighs in on this thread, though honestly we have discussed it at length.

He recently reccomended SilverString, Hyperion, and one other that I forget.

From everything I have read, it sounds like SilverString is the way to go with this setup. Though Hyperion is a good choice too.

I recently did an ALU Power Ice cross with VS 17 mains and loved it, but the crosses really are loosing tension very fast.

Becuase of this I am no longer a fan of ALU.

If you want a Federer like setup with gut mains and ALU Rough crosses, I would reccomend Genesis Typhoon instead.

I just had my sample set of Typhoon strung up in a full set and I must say I really like it. Many people say it plays like ALU rough but more comfortable and with several times greater tension maintenance.

However you need to keep in mind that a textured poly like Tornado, Typhoon, and ALU Rough will eat through your soft gut strings and greatly reduce their live span.

Steve Huff
05-08-2010, 08:15 AM
My favorite, and about the ONLY poly I enjoy using, is Pacific X Force 18. Most poly's are just too stiff. Big Ace Micro is ok too, but not as nice as the X Force. The downside is that it is relatively expensive.

Consigliere73
05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Hyperion and Tornado are very dull, rubbery feeling strings, even in thin gauges.

MSV Hex is a good spin string, cheap too but it dies fairly quickly. Technifibre Black Code is good spin string - softer but still crisp feeling. Kirsch Pro Line 2 is another good poly but lower down in terms of pure spin potential. Kirsch Helix is supposed to be a very good spin poly (from the comments on there) though I haven't tried it and 1.20mm doesn't seem to be available until the summer.

The problem you're going to find with a poly cross is that apart from sawing the gut, its going to die so much faster than the gut. It's going to be expensive cutting out the gut when the poly dies, or are you not bothered?

T1000
05-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I always use big banger or bb rough with gut. And the prestiges are not normally heavy spin racquets, I always found that they hit a flat ball, even the pro

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I was looking into the typhoon, and I might try it alongside with alu power rough.
For me, I like the feel of dead lux with gut. for some reason, I like the softer feel.

About the spin, I do get enough spin for it to dip in, but I dont get the looping spin which I do miss.
The only worry about typhoon is that its gauge is much thicker than my big ace

coyfish
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I play with a YTPMP too. Maybe you should try fully poly. I think thats the only setup that will really give you more spin. I think that poly on the crosses with gut in the mains is kind of pointless. Its a good setup at first but the poly will go dead before the gut. Defeats the purpose of expensive string unless you restring every couple times you play.

Anyway in regards to the ytp pro. You are definitely right. Its quite a different feeling frame (string pattern aside).

I think the MG prestige pro is more similar to the YT in terms of feel. Defiitely try both if you are interested but just food for thought.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I actually keep the poly in for a while because I prefer the feel of dead poly crosses over fresh ones. Im an oddball.

marosmith
05-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I am a poly "hater" but my FIL set me up with VS mains and pacific pro poly crosses at 50/45 and it is excellent. No movement, lots of spin- and interestingly increased side spin which really helps frustrate opponents.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-08-2010, 06:56 PM
For anyone who has, does alu power rough play anything like big banger ace?
Does it have more spin? Right now,, spin in my hybrid is what Im looking for most.
And to go deeper, has anyone tried big banger ace, alu power rough, and genesis typhoon?

ClubHoUno
05-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I was looking into the typhoon, and I might try it alongside with alu power rough.
For me, I like the feel of dead lux with gut. for some reason, I like the softer feel.

About the spin, I do get enough spin for it to dip in, but I dont get the looping spin which I do miss.
The only worry about typhoon is that its gauge is much thicker than my big ace

I'm exactly like you.

When I use the CoPoly in the crosses with VS Nat gut in the mains - I simply don't feel the poly die compared to when the copoly is in full bed or in the mains. I get 12 good hours of my VS nat gut mains and Alu Power cross hybrid.

But I do try to avoid using an edged/twisted/shaped poly, when the poly is only in the crosses. Cross strings do not contribute to much spin at all, so why place a twisted/edged spin copoly there at all ?

Try to instead use a smooth round shaped copoly in the crosses - and you get better durability and life out of the hybrid with nat gut mains.

My fav cross copolys with nat gut in the mains are:

1. Luxilon Alu Power - crisp and powerful
2. WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20 - pretty crisp and pretty soft
3. Signum Pro Hyperion - very soft and muted

kiteboard
05-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm exactly like you.

When I use the CoPoly in the crosses with VS Nat gut in the mains - I simply don't feel the poly die compared to when the copoly is in full bed or in the mains. I get 12 good hours of my VS nat gut mains and Alu Power cross hybrid.

But I do try to avoid using an edged/twisted/shaped poly, when the poly is only in the crosses. Cross strings do not contribute to much spin at all, so why place a twisted/edged spin copoly there at all ?

Try to instead use a smooth round shaped copoly in the crosses - and you get better durability and life out of the hybrid with nat gut mains.

My fav cross copolys with nat gut in the mains are:

1. Luxilon Alu Power - crisp and powerful
2. WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20 - pretty crisp and pretty soft
3. Signum Pro Hyperion - very soft and muted

Listen to this guy. Even if the alu goes dead, you can cut out just the alu and restring with the mains intact, if you place the stick on stringer before cutting out the crosses, to maintain tension and shape. Helps to prestretch the frame as much as pos., before cutting out the crosses.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-08-2010, 07:24 PM
ClubHoUno: I have tried SS and I hated it because it just felt off.
Have you tried big banger ace 118? And if so, can you give me a comparison of how it played in a gut hybrid as opposed to a alu power one?
I think you could give me the most similar response because we both used 18x20 midplus rackets

Steve Huff
05-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I don't know where these rumors about sawing the gut come from, but unless you're using a rough poly like ALU Rough or Kirshbaum Spiky, you shouldn't have a problem. Even thin gut doesn't really cut into it like a lot of people say. I have Big Ace Micro in the crosses of one of my frames and it's holding up just as well as one with gut/multi. I played nearly a whole season with gut/Pacific X Force and it never caused the gut to fray either. I hit with plent of topspin, using a semi-western grip. Granted, I play doubles, but I've worn out other strings a lot faster.

karophiteblu
05-08-2010, 09:10 PM
User ClubHoUno is a huge proponent of gut mains and poly crosses. I hope he weighs in on this thread, though honestly we have discussed it at length.

He recently reccomended SilverString, Hyperion, and one other that I forget.

From everything I have read, it sounds like SilverString is the way to go with this setup. Though Hyperion is a good choice too.

I recently did an ALU Power Ice cross with VS 17 mains and loved it, but the crosses really are loosing tension very fast.

Becuase of this I am no longer a fan of ALU.

If you want a Federer like setup with gut mains and ALU Rough crosses, I would reccomend Genesis Typhoon instead.

I just had my sample set of Typhoon strung up in a full set and I must say I really like it. Many people say it plays like ALU rough but more comfortable and with several times greater tension maintenance.

However you need to keep in mind that a textured poly like Tornado, Typhoon, and ALU Rough will eat through your soft gut strings and greatly reduce their live span.

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question; I'm kind of new to the idea of tension loss. Couldn't you just string the luxilon at a higher tension so it would compensate for the tension loss?

JW10S
05-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I've been using HEAD gut in the mains and HEAD Sonic Pro poly in the crosses and am loving it. Great feel, great feedback, great tension retention, and great durability. I've tried dozens of other combinations but this is the best I've found.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Please excuse me if this is a stupid question; I'm kind of new to the idea of tension loss. Couldn't you just string the luxilon at a higher tension so it would compensate for the tension loss?

Please start your own thread on this matter. Dont hijack mine

coyfish
05-09-2010, 06:01 AM
For anyone who has, does alu power rough play anything like big banger ace?
Does it have more spin? Right now,, spin in my hybrid is what Im looking for most.
And to go deeper, has anyone tried big banger ace, alu power rough, and genesis typhoon?

I have tried alu BB, BB rough, and genesis typhoon. All 3 generated similar amounts of spin. Strings don't matter THAT much to me. In most cases poly is poly. Tension is critical though.

Nothing compares to fresh luxilon but after that honeymoon the genesis felt superior in all aspects. Crisp string with control that isn't harsh. The texture is different than that of most poly.

In my opinion X poly over Y poly on the crosses won't give you noticeably more / less spin.

pug
05-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Wes,

Your sig. shows BB Ace at 52 lbs, have you considered dropping that down say to 47 lbs and see what happens? If you like the Ace don't give up on it until you have tried other variables. Lowering the tension would also prolong the life of the poly.

Jeff

kiteboard
05-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Have you tried big banger ace 118? And if so, can you give me a comparison of how it played in a gut hybrid as opposed to a alu power one?
I think you could give me the most similar response because we both used 18x20 midplus rackets

Ace 18g feels thinner, softer, more spin as a main, than alu. Alu has more power and plow through. Ace is for players who love spin over power. Gut as the main, same thing. Ace cross will feel tinnier, higher treble, than alu power as a cross. Vs gut gives the best feel/control/power than any other gut. Global gut feels thicker, more sluggish and less repeatable.

karophiteblu
05-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Please start your own thread on this matter. Dont hijack mine

calm down man. just asking a question. 1 answer will get the job done. much easier than starting a whole new thread

ClubHoUno
05-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Listen to this guy. Even if the alu goes dead, you can cut out just the alu and restring with the mains intact, if you place the stick on stringer before cutting out the crosses, to maintain tension and shape. Helps to prestretch the frame as much as pos., before cutting out the crosses.

We seem to like the same string setup :D

ClubHoUno
05-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Hey,

Have only tested Big Ace once - and I preferred TIMO 110 to Big Ace for some reason......hmmmm...

And to be honest the color of Big Ace made me dump it - sorry I'm too vain :lol:

Right now I actually have my BLX 95 18x20 frames strung with VS 17 mains and Silverstring crosses - and I love the feel I get.
Not quite as crisp & powerful as Alu Power crosses, but a bit softer and the feel is more lively, which I like in this frame for some reason.

I have a 720 feet reel of Alu Power and a 660 feet reel of Silverstring, so I experiment back and forth between these two Copoly strings in the crosses.

Only thing I don't change is my main strings, which are VS Team 17. For bad weaher I use X-One 1.24 as main string in my 2 Völkl PB10 Mid, but use VS Team 17 mains in all my other frames.

I would probably just stick with this setup if I were you, since you don't fancy Silverstring:

Mains: Babolat VS Team 17
Crosses: Luxilon Alu Power 17L

You can not go wrong with this setup!

big bang
05-09-2010, 02:27 PM
WHAT!!!:shock: NEVER DO THIS IF YOU DONT WANNA DESTROY YOUR FRAME..

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey,

Have only tested Big Ace once - and I preferred TIMO 110 to Big Ace for some reason......hmmmm...

And to be honest the color of Big Ace made me dump it - sorry I'm too vain :lol:

Right now I actually have my BLX 95 18x20 frames strung with VS 17 mains and Silverstring crosses - and I love the feel I get.
Not quite as crisp & powerful as Alu Power crosses, but a bit softer and the feel is more lively, which I like in this frame for some reason.

I have a 720 feet reel of Alu Power and a 660 feet reel of Silverstring, so I experiment back and forth between these two Copoly strings in the crosses.

Only thing I don't change is my main strings, which are VS Team 17. For bad weaher I use X-One 1.24 as main string in my 2 Völkl PB10 Mid, but use VS Team 17 mains in all my other frames.

I would probably just stick with this setup if I were you, since you don't fancy Silverstring:

Mains: Babolat VS Team 17
Crosses: Luxilon Alu Power 17L

You can not go wrong with this setup!
there is a 17L version of alu power?
or do you mean 16L

ClubHoUno
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
there is a 17L version of alu power?
or do you mean 16L

Sorry :oops:

I meant 16L...........

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I might try a couple sets of alu power to see if it any more beneficial than big banger ace.

Thanks a lot CluHoUno

toeknee
05-09-2010, 10:58 PM
i use to hybrid with poly on the crosses until i realized that the poly was dying way too fast.. i solved MY problem by switching to kevlar.. good luck.