PDA

View Full Version : Wait time

SuperDuy
05-07-2010, 08:47 PM
How long should I wait after getting a racket strung. Strings on one racket are Sensation/pro hurricane at 58 lbs, other is syn gut at 57. Would is a good wait time for the strings to set it place. Should I leave it over night and play in the morning or wait 3 hours. I don't want to damage the string.

Pwned
05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Don't wait at all....

Aerogel
05-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Waiting isn't a must, but I've heard of people letting a racquet sit for 24 hours after the job

rj.laroza
05-08-2010, 12:58 AM
i never wait.. i usually love stringing my racket right before i play.

jazar
05-08-2010, 01:45 AM
i used to wait at least 8 hours after stringing before i played with a stringjob. recently though i've been stringing my rackets up about 3/4 hours before play and i prefer doing things that way now

Valjean
05-08-2010, 02:23 AM
I've tried various lengths of time. Then I took to Sampras's 24-hour period, but found two days actually worked better. How much consistency and shot placement do you rely on too...

Irvin
05-08-2010, 03:00 AM
No real need to wait for fearing you will damage the strings. I have one player I string for that rotates two rackets and he will not play with one until the other one breaks. Other people (Like Nadal) want to play with a racket just strung.

Irvin

ronalditop
05-08-2010, 04:50 AM
I wait one or two days before playing with a fresh stringjob. I've noticed when playing with new stringjobs, specially polys, that they perform a lot different from the day you string it to the next few days, and that's because polys lose a lot of tension in the first hours after stringing. So if I let it sit for a day or two I get a more consistent performance out of the stringbed.

MuscleWeave
05-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Ideally:
poly, 48 hours
multi & synth, 12 hours
gut, immediately
kev, idk

Practically:
poly, 12 hours
gut multi & synth, immediately
kev, idk

Steve Huff
05-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Ideally, you'd play right after its strung, change every set, and get it restrung right before you play again. Not practical unless you're a pro, and this is exactly what most pro's do these days. Just go play with it whenever you want. You're not going to hurt the strings.

autumn_leaf
05-08-2010, 08:17 AM
you're not going to damage the string. waiting after a string job is so the tension loss won't be as great during play.

SuperDuy
05-08-2010, 08:43 AM
k thanks everyone. Thats what I thought with poly you lose tension fast if you play right after stringing.

bsandy
05-08-2010, 11:16 AM
After 4 for 5 good hits it dosen't matter how long you had let it sit.

. . . Bud

MuscleWeave
05-08-2010, 02:51 PM
After 4 for 5 good hits it dosen't matter how long you had let it sit.

. . . Bud

That might be enough to beat the stringbed into submission, but not evenly. If you wait a little while, it may play well from the get-go and last longer.

Just think about it, if you were a stringbed, all high-strung from stringing, would you like to have a dozen or so hours rest to settle in and be ready to hit some balls; or would you like your user to take you fresh off the stringer and 'break you in'. Sounds damage inducing to me.

Ambivalent
05-08-2010, 03:17 PM
If you don't want to damage the string, you should never play tennis.

jim e
05-08-2010, 04:02 PM
If you don't want to damage the string, you should never play tennis.

Say! The poster is just asking a question, no need to be rude!

Steve is correct when he said , "Just go play with it whenever you want. You're not going to hurt the strings."

MayDay
05-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I didn't know strings have feelings. :)

Those PETA people might start PETS and beat us down for string cruelty.

No wait time for me.