PDA

View Full Version : Is There Such Thing as a Tour Model Babolat?

skyzoo
05-08-2010, 07:03 AM
I know that Head supplies their pro's with Austrian made PT57E, TGK238.1, PT57A, PT630...etc and Wilson does make a few like the H22. Does Babolat have a service for high ranked pro's like Head and Wilson, or is it just pick any of the frames we've ever made and be happy with it?

KuanMaster
05-08-2010, 07:26 AM
i dont know, but i guess they have, cause babolat does do PJ and stuff

skyzoo
05-08-2010, 07:30 AM
i dont know, but i guess they have, cause babolat does do PJ and stuff

That's not what I meant. Most pro's use PJs but Head produces racquets that are pro specific molds not just paint jobs of old racquets.

Xenakis
05-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Don't players/customisers just add lead etc to their stock Babolat frames?

There was that post a while ago from someone that bought one of Nadal's frames from the recent AO exo for Haiti and as far as I can remember it was a stock APD sans cortex but was heavier than standard (can't remember if there was any lead visable on it or if it was under the bumper etc).

So it is a paintjob, but the actual racquet is still a stock Bab frame.

Also there was that article from ESPN about paintjobs and Andy Roddick was wittering on about how 'cool' it is that you can buy the same racquet that he uses (this is a bit old now, he may use a paintjob too now for all I know).

"I think it's kind of cool that people can play with the racket that I actually play with,"

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/usopen04/news/story?id=1872892

Always thought Babolat players used modified stock frames and they didn't have a 'pro room' or whatever but I could be wrong (some others here know more than me on this topic by an order of magnitude).

Unfortunately the pics the guy who bought the Nadal racquet posted were taken down after he was hounded and criticised by some less emotionally capable members of the forum.

I would be interested to know more on this topic too, if what I've written above is true more or less. Should be buying a used APD later today, not expecting to play like Nadal with it but will be worth having in the collection hopefully :-)

vsbabolat
05-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Never mind......................

Doubles
05-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't think so. I believe that players just use older Babolat models that they like, and them paint over them...

marosmith
05-08-2010, 09:20 AM
I heard babolat has nil for a pro room program and most of their rackets are 11 oz or less so I guess their players just take teh stock model and have P1 customize them. Of course, they probably use older models and I would guess they don't change technologies and just stick with graphite sticks- but of course I don't know for sure.

Xenakis
05-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I think vsbabolat should edit his/her post and spill the beans (or at least some beans).

vsbabolat
05-08-2010, 11:09 AM
LPShanet is the person that would know a lot more about the Babolats.
The majority of the Pure Storm players on the tour aren't using any version of the Storm. The bulk of them (though not ALL) still use the Pure Control (regular or plus version) under a Pure Storm paint job. As suggested above, the use of the regular PS paint job, rather than the Tour versions, is due to marketing, as Babolat believes the lighter Pure Storm has a greater potential for sales among casual players (the ones most likely to choose a racquet based on what a pro appears to use). They want those customers to have a good "initial pickup experience"...meaning they want the racquet to be easy for a recreational level player to use from the start.

Xenakis
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I just think that the characterization of the HEAD frames by the OP is incorrect. There are no special MOLDS that I know of. The frames are older frames still made for the players, current frames, and current MOLDS with alternate layup or string pattern that is not made available for market (like a YT Radical MP that is 16x19). All the racquets for the Pros are made lighter than commercial racquets to allow room for customization for the individual players needs. That is it. The OP is making things so much more complicated than they really are. I did not want to create any controversy so I deleted my original post.

LPShanet is the person that would know a lot more about the Babolats.

Nice one :-)

dantheman
05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
well babolat does offer custom molds for players in the top 100
its mainly for players who like the old pc mold or pd mold or apd mold

vsbabolat
05-08-2010, 12:29 PM
well babolat does offer custom molds for players in the top 100
its mainly for players who like the old pc mold or pd mold or apd mold

There is no difference between the Pure Storm Mold and the Pure Control Mold. The difference is in the layup. I don't think the use of the word MOLD is being used properly here.

What are the custom molds that babolat offers????????????????

ClubHoUno
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
All the Pure Storm Tour CarbonX and Pure Strom Tour GT frames I've owned were all made at the Tour Department.

They all have custom serial numbers - for instance my 4 current PST GT have the serial numbers:

01 - 08 2009
02 - 08 2009
03 - 08 2009
04 - 08 2009

They were made in August 2009 :)

They all have the same specifications as the stock ones, but I'm sure the Tour guys can order them pretty much like they prefer weight and balance point wise.

Mine were just weight and balance matched by Babolat instead of by TW Europe.

I've never expeienced the problems with loose butt caps like so many other have with Babolat frames.......

skyzoo
05-09-2010, 07:07 AM
So Babolat Players can get whatever they want...but just not "whatever" they want...

PED
05-09-2010, 07:30 AM
VSBab is correct, LPShanet is the man for Bab questions.

The thread below is from a few days ago and he has some excellent points of Bab's basic lack of pro room services compared with Head's offerings.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=326459

Dave M
05-09-2010, 07:31 AM
BAbolat certainly started without a pro room and I don't believe that has changed as other than the Ivo test nobody uses anything other than a stock frame of some sort just paintd as a currently avaliable model.Probably one of the more honest racket manufacturers as in most cases it's possible to get your hands on what the pro you are watching is playing with as they were all retail at some point.Customisation/matching changes aside I suppose from the factory or P1 etc.I'm sure it's no easier to walk into a shop and buy 3 matching babolat frames as anyone elses.

LPShanet
05-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Sorry I missed this thread till now, guys. Been off entertaining out of town guests:) VSBabolat is totally correct that the word "mold" seems to be being used incorrectly upthread. Most of Babolat's frames in a given line have been made using the same molds for quite a while. That is, the current Pure Storms are made from the same molds as the previous Pure Storms, and that is the same mold they used for all recent generations of the Pure Control, too. The difference between those racquets was the layup, as VSBabolat also pointed out. The Pure Drives have also long used the same mold, with variations coming in the form of layup and cosmetic changes.

LPShanet
05-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I heard babolat has nil for a pro room program and most of their rackets are 11 oz or less so I guess their players just take teh stock model and have P1 customize them. Of course, they probably use older models and I would guess they don't change technologies and just stick with graphite sticks- but of course I don't know for sure.

This is mostly true. Babolat does make a number of racquets that are over 11 oz. (e.g. PSTs, PSLs, Aerostorm Tour, etc.), so the idea that they don't make any frames over 11 oz. is wrong. But it's true that most tour players are working with (former) stock frames and getting them customized in the aftermarket. It's not just P1, as they are just one of dozens of customizers out there, but they are an example of the type of place that can do the work. RPNY has done Roddicks's frames for a long time, for example.

As for graphite sticks, EVERYONE is using graphite sticks, so there is nothing else to stick with...don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There isn't a racquet on the market that isn't primarily graphite, by ANY company. "Carbon Xtrem" is graphite. Karophite Black is graphite. If you're playing tennis with any recent racquet, it's graphite.

LPShanet
05-24-2010, 12:57 PM
All the Pure Storm Tour CarbonX and Pure Strom Tour GT frames I've owned were all made at the Tour Department.

They all have custom serial numbers - for instance my 4 current PST GT have the serial numbers:

01 - 08 2009
02 - 08 2009
03 - 08 2009
04 - 08 2009

They were made in August 2009 :)

They all have the same specifications as the stock ones, but I'm sure the Tour guys can order them pretty much like they prefer weight and balance point wise.

Mine were just weight and balance matched by Babolat instead of by TW Europe.

I've never expeienced the problems with loose butt caps like so many other have with Babolat frames.......

There may be some terminology issues here that are causing a tiny bit of confusion...possibly because you're not in the U.S.? I'm not sure which part of the program you got your racquets from, or what level of player you are, but Babolat's Competition Team/Player Services (which I'm assuming is what you're calling the "tour department") doesn't make frames themselves. There is no separate manufacturing facility for them, like there is in Kennelbach for Head, so they didn't "make" your frames. They simply handle orders for their sponsored, free list and preferred list players. That's why your frames have the same specs as the stock ones...because they ARE stock ones. When they send out matched frames, they just select stock frames that came out with matching specs and send them out.

The tour guys for the most part don't order things to spec, they just get their frames sent to an aftermarket customizer for matching.

jimbo333
05-24-2010, 04:34 PM
There may be some terminology issues here that are causing a tiny bit of confusion...possibly because you're not in the U.S.? I'm not sure which part of the program you got your racquets from, or what level of player you are, but Babolat's Competition Team/Player Services (which I'm assuming is what you're calling the "tour department") doesn't make frames themselves. There is no separate manufacturing facility for them, like there is in Kennelbach for Head, so they didn't "make" your frames. They simply handle orders for their sponsored, free list and preferred list players. That's why your frames have the same specs as the stock ones...because they ARE stock ones. When they send out matched frames, they just select stock frames that came out with matching specs and send them out.

The tour guys for the most part don't order things to spec, they just get their frames sent to an aftermarket customizer for matching.

But what about for example the "non-cortex" racquets that PRO's use. These haven't been available at retail for years. Surely these have to be made especially for the PRO's now?

skyzoo
05-24-2010, 04:38 PM
But what about for example the "non-cortex" racquets that PRO's use. These haven't been available at retail for years. Surely these have to be made especially for the PRO's now?

I'm sure they're just producing them for the certain pros that require them. Nothing special, just producing old models.

LPShanet
05-24-2010, 05:33 PM

They are still stock racquets, albeit ones that aren't currently being sold. There are many examples of this, as Nadal, Roddick and many others use non-cortex versions. But they are still stock makeups of older racquets. In the case of Nadal, it's a 1st generation APD, and in Roddick's case, it's a Pure Drive +.

ClubHoUno
05-24-2010, 05:55 PM

I was told the frame is produced in China, like all Babolats are - but mine were all assembled in Lyon by Babolat.
'Normal' stock Babolat frames are produced AND assembled in China, which could be the reason why so many Babolat customers complain about loose buttcaps......

Just know that all the Babolat frames I have, which were all assembled by Babolat in Lyon and with unique serial numbers so far have been flawless quality wise and I have bought 12 racquets from them now.

iowaviking11
05-24-2010, 08:25 PM
clubhouno how did you go about ordering from babolats tour department?

Pioneer
05-25-2010, 02:59 AM
There is no difference between the Pure Storm Mold and the Pure Control Mold. The difference is in the layup. I don't think the use of the word MOLD is being used properly here.

What are the custom molds that babolat offers????????????????

So maybe the Pure Control users just receive stock Pure Storm Limiteds?

cmb
05-25-2010, 03:29 AM
hmm, LTD is a different mold, and 18x20. Storm and storm tour are the same mold

ClubHoUno
05-25-2010, 03:29 AM
clubhouno how did you go about ordering from babolats tour department?

A great french connection....... :lol:

ClubHoUno
05-25-2010, 03:33 AM

No;

Pure Storm Ltd. is a different mold.....95 SQ" 18x20

The other Pure Storm are 16x20 and the same mold as the old Control series.......

Dave M
05-25-2010, 04:52 AM
When did the control or storm go from 95 to 98 head size?

LPShanet
05-25-2010, 05:26 PM

No, they don't. They receive old Pure Controls with current line paint jobs. (Also, many of them use extended frames and the PSL doesn't even come in a plus version.)

LPShanet
05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
hmm, LTD is a different mold, and 18x20. Storm and storm tour are the same mold

That is correct.