PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a stiffer synthetic / multi

Consigliere73
05-08-2010, 02:47 PM
As per title.

I'm looking for something stiffer, lower powered but consistent in response and with a little bit of bite to help with topspin. A string that provides a slight (but not too much) cupping motion on the ball with good resistance to string movement would also be good.

The aim is to eventually settle on a synth/multi as my preferred cross in a poly hybrid, but I need to playtest the synth/multi as a full bed first.

Not interested in Xcel, X1, NRG etc as although they're good strings, they're a bit soft/powerful for this purpose at 53/54lbs.

Ordinarily, I would be happy to simply string a multi at a higher tension but doesn't work if there's too much of a tension difference between the strings - and I've settled on keeping the poly at 50-51lbs.

Which of the following would be most appropriate and why?

1. Head Rip Control (what's Rip Perfect Control?)
2. Gosen OG Micro
3. Technifibre Multifeel
4. ProSupex Spiral Flex.
5. ProSupex Maxim Touch
6. ProSupex Synthetic Gut
7. Weisscannon Explosiv!

Needs to be available as reel ideally.

Thanks

Valjean
05-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Of those you list, Tecnifibre's MultiFeel is the choice I would make.

In the pure synthetic gut realm, now it would be Babolat's N.vy.

MuscleWeave
05-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I've used Multifeel 16 and I'm going back to it for one of my racquets. Be sure to string it 1 or 2 lbs. higher than usual, as there is an initial tension loss after about 3 hours of playtime. After that, it will play very well for a long time, provided you don't snap it.

Consigliere73
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Is MultiFeel similar to Babolat Addiction, because the latter feels pretty dead to me as a full bed at 54lbs.

tennisINmyBLOOD
05-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Multifeel plays A LOT crisper with more than Addiction, though just as soft... I hate the mushy feeling of addiction. String it at any tension.. high or low, and it's one of the best feeling multifilaments IMO. I strung it at 55 lbs on my PDGT once and was amazed at how much control I got even though I strung 5 lbs lower than usual. I also strung it in a hybrid on my PDGT... Polystar Energy 1.25 53 lbs and Multifeel 55 lbs... was very impressed with the feel and control.

For synthetic gut... OG Sheep is a good value and bites the ball very well. On the stiff side for synthetics IMO, and has a good power/control ratio.

Rip Control... despite its textured surface, I didn't find any extra spin. Plays quite crisp with good feel. If you're looking for control stay away from the 17 g version... balls went flying at 60 lbs on a PDGT.

Overall if you're looking for a cross in a hybrid... I'd recommend Multifeel. Not too powerful, crisp feeling and decent price.

parasailing
05-09-2010, 12:36 PM
As per title.

I'm looking for something stiffer, lower powered but consistent in response and with a little bit of bite to help with topspin. A string that provides a slight (but not too much) cupping motion on the ball with good resistance to string movement would also be good.

The aim is to eventually settle on a synth/multi as my preferred cross in a poly hybrid, but I need to playtest the synth/multi as a full bed first.

Not interested in Xcel, X1, NRG etc as although they're good strings, they're a bit soft/powerful for this purpose at 53/54lbs.

Ordinarily, I would be happy to simply string a multi at a higher tension but doesn't work if there's too much of a tension difference between the strings - and I've settled on keeping the poly at 50-51lbs.

Which of the following would be most appropriate and why?

1. Head Rip Control (what's Rip Perfect Control?)
2. Gosen OG Micro
3. Technifibre Multifeel
4. ProSupex Spiral Flex.
5. ProSupex Maxim Touch
6. ProSupex Synthetic Gut
7. Weisscannon Explosiv!

Needs to be available as reel ideally.

Thanks

Cross off Explosiv as it is a soft string. I just tested out Klip Venom and it is quite crisp even after a few hours of hitting.

Ash_Smith
05-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Consigliere73 I see you're UK based so you could try RAB strings. RAB Texflex, which I think meets all your criteria, is a fantastic string for the price. I find it very crisp in a full bed and it reacts well in a poly-hybrid too. Sensorfibre is an awesome string too - far superior to Xcel, X-1 etc (in my opinion of course) but I think you might find it too soft for what you want.

Ash

Consigliere73
05-09-2010, 01:12 PM
RAB strings

That's interesting. I've never heard of that company and although I would love to support a UK company, their strings are so expensive! How do they justify their prices? £58 for a set of gut (!!), £19 for a multi (!!), £10 for synth gut etc. Do they manufacture the strings themselves?

Ash_Smith
05-09-2010, 01:21 PM
^^^They're based in devon and although they don't manufacture here their quality control standard is ridiculously high - they back up their prices with extremely high quality products. I use Texflex and Enduraflex as my basic syn gut and basic poly and my clients generally love them both. They're well worth trying - speak to Adam and see if you can set up an account as a player and you might find the prices a bit more reasonable.

Ash

**Edit**
Or send your frame to me and i'll string it up for you!!! :-)

Xenakis
05-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Why not use a full bed of poly?'

What's the point of the hybrid in this context?

Without knowing that my 2 pence would be to avoid any syn guts or multis with a coarse texture (like PSGD, Spiral Flex, etc).

Use something smooth and poly-like like RIP control or a cheap one I like is Gamma Advantage (only comes as a 1.38 gauge though).

The non-smooth coated syn strings will be fine for short periods but they'll go brittle fairly soon and the poly mains will notch into them due to the increased friction.

A string with a smooth coating should last longer and be more slippery for increased spin.

But really you'd be better off just using a full bed of poly if you can afford to restring fairly often.

IMO (without knowing why you want to use a hybrid that is).

Xenakis
05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Oh and re bite, never found a string that bites the ball, I don't think there is any scientific evidence to validate the claim that textured strings make any difference etc.

AFAIK you get more spin (but not much more) from slippery strings, not textured ones.

Consigliere73
05-09-2010, 01:52 PM
@ Xenakis

I love the bite of thin polys, but after 8-10 hours a week of polys for the last few years, I'm finding that I need more and more recovery time between matches and have more aches and twinges. Need to soften the stringbed slightly. Don't care about textured or non-textureds strings - the string just needs to feel right.

Have recently experimented with the full bed synths and multis, but although they're unbelievably comfortable, I have found that I can't live without the 'bite' of a good thin poly. Hence me settling on the hybrid option. Just need to settle on a good suitable string for the crosses....

So, RIP Control is stiff and (soft) poly like is it?

Bad Dog
05-09-2010, 02:27 PM
@ Xenakis

[...]

Have recently experimented with the full bed synths and multis, but although they're unbelievably comfortable, I have found that I can't live without the 'bite' of a good thin poly. Hence me settling on the hybrid option. Just need to settle on a good suitable string for the crosses....

I don't use poly strings, but Head Rip Control is a good multifilament that produces great spin for me in 17 gauge –which lasts a long time as well. Caveat: For best results, I string low; my last experience with HRC was in the high 30s, 95 inch head size. I believe Xenakis mentioned in another thread that Head Rip Control could play even better in the low 30s.

Xenakis
05-09-2010, 02:40 PM
@ Xenakis

I love the bite of thin polys, but after 8-10 hours a week of polys for the last few years, I'm finding that I need more and more recovery time between matches and have more aches and twinges. Need to soften the stringbed slightly. Don't care about textured or non-textureds strings - the string just needs to feel right.

Have you tried stringing full poly at a lower tension?

Which polys? Recently I was using full beds of Blackcode 1.18 and Focus Hex 1.10 at 22kg in my Vantage 95 (18x20) and that was a comfortable setup (up to about 12-14 hours anyway, got a bit boardy after that, the Blackcode was better but it didn't last as long as the Hex).

In fact Blackcode 1.18 at 22kg is probably my favourite string job I've tried in my Vantage (tried a lot of strings and tensions). The reason I don't use it all the time is the expense. It stops being so fantastic after about 2-4 hours. Never had an issue with it being uncomfortable though (not going to spend about £6 a week to keep the strings fresh).

Re RIP Control, I 'rate' that string but it's a personal thing. I've tried it as high as about 58lbs and as low as about 30lbs in various frames and it always works well (for me). It's like a comfy poly that lasts ages, it has that smooth coating that prevents the string from going brittle and sticking at strange angles (in other words the string is slippery and you can move it back into place after each game/point/match, unlike other conventional multis and syn guts which become very hard to work with after a while of play).

In my Vantage 95s I think about 45-50lbs is my preferred tension, 30lbs wasn't much more comfortable or powerful but was a bit worse on volleys etc so the cost/benefit ratio (if you like) went against it. I restrung someone's racquet with RIP Control the other day and did it at 50lbs (an open pattern mid), seemed about right (waiting to hear what they think of it).

I use it as it's long lasting and comfortable but it's not as exciting and crispy as fresh poly (but nothing is really).

With the Gamma Advantage I prefer to go lower as it's such a thick string and it's quite stiff. I haven't like it higher than about 45lbs as it's been too harsh and pingy/boardy.

I tried hybriding Blackcode with the Advantage but wasn't that impressed really. I think the Advantage would benefit from being strung lower while the Blackcode felt better at a more regular tension (22kg).

RIP Control would have been a better hybrid.

I tend to go with full beds of one string or another, not really found many reasons to use a hybrid so far. But each to their own.

meowmix
05-09-2010, 02:58 PM
I give the Head Rip Control my vote. A very solid string, fairly resistant to moving (at least, compared to the other strings on your list), lower powered, and decent spin.

Consigliere73
05-09-2010, 03:06 PM
@ Xenakis

I'm not looking to change my poly setup - I'm very happy with things as they are, but thank you for the suggestions.

Will give RIP Control a go, along with PerfectControl as I have packets of those (along with 10 other synths/multis!) along with probably a set of MultiFeel.

Anyone else have any suggestions? (was hoping to shortcircuit the playtest process slightly).

jbm
05-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Head RIP Control16 g is my rec. Fits the stiff multi with less power and more control to a tee. Had less success witht the 17 g. Felt too stiff. Strung both at 61lbs on a Yonex rds 001 mp.

fgs
05-09-2010, 09:14 PM
the mantis power synthetic plays very crisp. i've used it so far as a cross with kirschbaum competition - still testing and evaluating. plays really fine so far and tension loss is very small.

v205
05-10-2010, 03:52 AM
There's about 20% poly in Multifeel.

Steezmuffin
05-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Prince Recoil

MuscleWeave
05-10-2010, 07:41 AM

You may be mistaken.
Polyamide, polyethylene, polyolefin, polyurethene, or polyester?

Promix by Tecnifibre has polyester in it. I'm sure Multifeel doesn't.

JediMindTrick
05-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Prince Recoil

I second that, Recoil is perfect for your requirements. Try it as a full bed because you may not even need to hybrid with a poly.

gflyer
05-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Thank you to the OP for this thread because I am in the very same situation.
I am playing with Babolat PST-GT and using Poly Star Energy 1.25 in the mains an testing some crosses. Tension range is 56-58lb mains and 58-60lb crosses. Didn't find yet my favorite. The truth is that I know that the best for me would be full poly. But my arm cannot take it right now.
So I am looking for a firmer multi. This is my short list of crosses so far.

NRG2 (17), X-1 (17) - Nice feel but too soft.
FXP 17 - average string. crispier than the ones above but tension loss is a problem. Nice price though.
RIP-C (17) - Unpredictable string for my taste. I agree with the poster that was saying that this string most likely needs to be strung in the higher tension range. Or maybe gauge 16 would be better.

I've just strung one frame with Energy @58lb x TNT2 16 @60lb
I will report on that.
Reading here I think I will give multifeel a shot.
thank you!
Cheers.
G.

btw, I am 4.5 player. Agressive baseliner. 1HBH.

gflyer
05-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Prince Recoil

I'd be tempted to try that, but $16 is a little steep for a cross string for me.

Consigliere73
05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Prince Recoil

Why do you suggest Prince Recoil?

It's crazily expensive (particularly in Europe) for what is essentially a synthetic gut with a slippery coating. The reviews on here are also fairly negative about it, particularly in terms of tension loss.

JediMindTrick
05-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Why do you suggest Prince Recoil?

It's crazily expensive (particularly in Europe) for what is essentially a synthetic gut with a slippery coating. The reviews on here are also fairly negative about it, particularly in terms of tension loss.

Recoil tension maintanence rivals that of natural gut IMO. It blows away any poly and most multis/syn guts. Take a look at this review:

http://ggtennis.wordpress.com/2008/04/30/prince-recoil-the-real-deal/

What I like about it is that it gives you the spin of a poly with the comfort of a syn gut and the tension maintanence of nat gut. Most people who are looking for the softest/most powerfull poly should give a full bed of Recoil a try.

GameSetMatch
05-25-2010, 12:53 PM
What I like about it is that it gives you the spin of a poly with the comfort of a syn gut and the tension maintanence of nat gut.

I find that difficult to believe. That review also, somewhat bizarrely, makes no mention of how the string actually plays. It also comes in only one gauge.

DrpShot!
05-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Recoil tension maintanence rivals that of natural gut IMO. It blows away any poly and most multis/syn guts. Take a look at this review:

http://ggtennis.wordpress.com/2008/04/30/prince-recoil-the-real-deal/

What I like about it is that it gives you the spin of a poly with the comfort of a syn gut and the tension maintanence of nat gut. Most people who are looking for the softest/most powerfull poly should give a full bed of Recoil a try.

Here's my review of Prince Recoil: POS - waste of my time and money. no feel. no touch. no spin. no power. no tension maintenance. its right up there with some of the worst string I've ever tried. I have nothing against Prince either, their Syngut w/duraflex is great for the money and like a benchmark to compare other types of string to.

GameSetMatch
06-13-2010, 10:56 PM

Your string suggestions are odd to say the least. Multifeel is a soft feeling string. He's asked for a stiffer string.

mikeler
06-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Maxim Touch 17g is incredibly soft, so I don't think you'll be happy with that string. I'm a 4.5 and after about 1.5 years I'm finally getting over Golfer's Elbow. I plan to play with it for a while longer just to make sure my elbow pain does not return.

JohnP
06-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Your string suggestions are odd to say the least. Multifeel is a soft feeling string. He's asked for a stiffer string.

I think it's a good recommendation, actually. I always liked Multifeel because it has a bit of a stiffer feel compared to NRG2. It's a very underrated string, IMO. As much as I wanted to like NRG2, I always want the crisper feel I get from multifeel.

Also, it worked great as a cross when I tried poly hybrids for awhile. It may not be the stiffest multi out there but I think it's definitely one for the OP to try.

High Roller
06-25-2010, 06:57 AM

Not so. While this string is comprised of approximately 20% monofilament, it is nylon monofilament, not poly monofilament.

TW Professor
06-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Try the new TWU String Testing Database Tool to find your string:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/reporter.php

For example, say you prefer a higher reference tension and you have a fast swing, and you want to search strings in order of stiffness. Then you would enter the following for your search:

CLICK THE DISPLAY BUTTON for the following fields and CHOOSE the accompanying filter from the drop downs and then CHOOSE sort:
Brand
String: and choose "all strings"
Reference tension: and choose "High (62 lbs)"
Swing speed: and choose "Fast"
Stiffness
SORT BY Stiffness
CLICK "Get Report"

If instead you just wanted to compare two strings, say Tecnifibre Black Code and Babolat RPM Blast, then you choose all the same settings except for the string field where you will either command-click (Mac) or control-click(Windows) those two strings in the string drop-down.

You can do similar for any string characteristic you want such as total tension loss, etc.

kiteboard
06-25-2010, 07:29 AM
ace 18g/global gut 17g

TW Professor
06-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Referring to my previous post above: Say you did the last find comparing the two strings (Black Code and RPM Blast), you get the following result:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/images/board_photos/RPMvBcodeHigh.jpg

If you wanted to see stiffness at all tensions and the actual pre-impact tension (not the reference tension), you would change the reference tension setting to "All" and click the "Actual Pre-impact Tension" display button. This is the result:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/images/board_photos/RPMvBcodeAllref.jpg

And then if you wanted to see the energy return associated with these stiffnesses, you would just also click the "Energy Return" display button. The result is:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/images/board_photos/RPMvBcodeAllref2.jpg

And of course, then you can see any other combination of specs or strings you wish.