PDA

View Full Version : length of string for mains and crosses?

taylorhorton4
05-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I have just gotten a new stringing machine and it came with 5 different packages of string. I was going to put together a hybrid from a couple but just wanted to make sure that there are 20 ft. of string needed for mains and 20ft. needed for crosses. I am pretty sure this is correct because when you buy hybrid packaged string set, the stringer doesn't know what you are putting where therefore they must be equal, correct?

austinjbrunner
05-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I have just gotten a new stringing machine and it came with 5 different packages of string. I was going to put together a hybrid from a couple but just wanted to make sure that there are 20 ft. of string needed for mains and 20ft. needed for crosses. I am pretty sure this is correct because when you buy hybrid packaged string set, the stringer doesn't know what you are putting where therefore they must be equal, correct?

Generally that is correct unless you are using an oversize. For instance, one of my old rackets, a Flexpoint Radical OS, requires 21' for the mains. I'd suggest checking Tennis Warehouse for the racket specifications or I know Klippermate has a table on their site for racket string lengths.

jim e
05-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Look up the pattern for the racquet that you are stringing if you are not familiar with it. Most racquets do not need 20' for cross strings, also many racquets 20' is plenty for mains, but not all racquets. Depends on racquet and string type as some strings will stretch more allowing you to cut it close on lengths. There are some racquets that the pattern specifies 21' for mains, and sometimes with a string that stretches like gut 20' would work, but if a poly string is used or stiff synthetic, then you better have a starting clamp to bridge if needed to reach the tension head with the string that remains to tension that last main.