PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Secret 04 Racquet...

phillyfilm
05-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi All.
I've owned a Yamaha Secret 04 racquet for many years. After a few years away from tennis (back in school), I'm ready to start back up. My concern is that I might have lost a step and a bit of swing speed. I'm wondering if today's racquet technologies have alot more to offer than my 12 (or so) year old Yamaha. Oddly enough, I just can't help but feel like the racquet is still a top notch stick. I'd like to take advantage of the latest tennis racquet science, but the Secret 04 just feels so good in the hand...Any thoughts? What, if anything, am I giving up by sticking with the old standby?

Thanks!

nguyenthuc
05-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Phillyfilm,

I remember the Secret. I believe it's a light 'tweener racquet with a sandpaper-like texture dark charcoal paint. My friend in high school used to play with it. Very comfortable, lots of power, and though very light and maneuverable, offers great stability. Does this sound like your racquet? I liked it very much as a matter of fact. Too bad they don't make it anymore. The Secret is a keeper!

Thuc

(PS. You wouldn't by chance go by the name 'Sparky' would ya? :-)

NoBadMojo
05-12-2005, 08:52 PM
nope..the Secret4 is actually pretty much a club..heavy by todays standards like most widebodies were back then, and stiff and not particularly comfortable. if you havent played in a few years and have lost a step and some racquethead speed, might be time for a change, plus the ball is hit much harder now than when you last played, but doesnt hurt to take it out for a dance for old times sake. it does have a charcoal textured finish tho

Kirko
05-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Yanick Noah used it.

nguyenthuc
05-12-2005, 09:02 PM
hmm... from my memories, the Secret was a sweet tweener, not very heavy. Either my memories or my fitness is failing me in my "old" age... problem is I don't know which...maybe both... ahh... the younger years!

phillyfilm
05-13-2005, 04:26 AM
It's tough to say whether it is light or heavy compared to today's frames unless I do a side-by-side. When you look at the frame, it just LOOKS like it weighs a ton, but when you pick it up, it really doesn't feel too heavy. Yes, it does have a dk gray textured finish, and yes, it is most definitely a very stiff frame.

I have to admit, my tennis knowledge isn't what it used to be, so can someone remind me: does a stiffer frame benefit power or control? Anyway, after reading some other posts last night, though, it sounds like the 04 should be a keeper, even if just on principle!

BTW-I don't go by Sparky, though there are some who call me Chim-Chim... :mrgreen:

georgeyew
05-13-2005, 12:55 PM
The Secret 04 was close to 13 oz (not a tweener) and stiffness of 80. If you have the strength, then use it. I think that it can hold it's own with all the newer racquets out there today.

phillyfilm
05-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks, georgeyew. That is the kind of insight I was looking for...

markdinh
05-13-2005, 11:24 PM
I used to use the Yamaha back in high school :-) About 6-7 years ago as I was getting backing into tennis, I started to use the black and white "skunk" Wilson (that Lindsay Davenport use to use). I wasn't entirely happy with this racket...I felt it was lacking in power AND touch. Anyhow, I tried to track down the Secret 04, but they were no longer in production. I did find that Gosen was producing a racket from the same die caste (?) as the Secret 04--the Gosen Secret Carbon Lite. I was so excite about it, that I ended up buying 3 of them thoroughly convinced it would take my tennis to another level and give me back that great "widebody" power with great spin potential and control.

To cut a long story short, the Gosen racket was terrible. I couldn't keep a ball in the court (way too much power) and switched to a Head Ti Fire Tour Edition (and now an nCode 90).

I always wondered if maybe my game evolved and I no longer could use a non-"player's racket" or if Gosen got it all wrong and the racket only resembled the Secret 04 in dimension and cosmetics. Has anyone hit with both the Gosen and the Secret? Are they the same racket or do they play quite differently?

Kryztof
05-13-2005, 11:40 PM
it's a perfect raquect to hurt your elbow and shoulder, i got it 10 years ago, it's too much powerfull and not confortable at all and very stiff...