PDA

View Full Version : RDX 500 mid durability

Andy Hewitt
05-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Anyone notice that these racquets tend to break easily when you throw them down, head first, with moderate force?

I mean I've seen Pure Control Team plus's take a hell of alot more abuse and barely any paint chips!

I dont think I can afford this kind of stuff....

Bogie
05-12-2005, 10:24 PM
i think that actually this is one of the most durable racquets out there. ive thrown it against changeover chairs and hit it against them as well and it holds up like new. in my opinion, this is top of the like durability. strange i know from such a thin frame.

TheRed
05-12-2005, 10:24 PM
and may I ask why they're being thrown down, head first? Have you thrown it some other way that allows the racquet to be more "durable"?

Andy Hewitt
05-12-2005, 10:29 PM
and may I ask why they're being thrown down, head first? Have you thrown it some other way that allows the racquet to be more "durable"?
Cuz I suck!!! Thats why!! The racquet is perpendicular to the ground upon impact.

Safina
05-12-2005, 10:46 PM
well, if you really valued your racquet, and didn't have money for new ones, you probably wouldn't throw them.

can't say i've never wanted to throw my racquet, but i just value them too much to harm them. i don't even like scuffing up the bumperguard!

i had to beg my parents for a racquet when i was a kid, and had to wait a long time to get one, so that probably helped form my "save the racquets" mentality.

with my younger siblings, my parents gave them anything they wanted, and they throw their racquets all the time and then complain until they are given new ones. part of the younger generation of bratZ. don't be like them!

Redflea
05-13-2005, 08:37 PM
My son borrowed my RDX Mid one afternoon to try it out, and lost control on a serve and served it into the ground. It bounced up quite high, but aside from some scratches nothing happened. Been strung once since then and I asked my stringer to check it out carefully and all is well. I bang it on low slice backhands pretty regularly and that hasn't caused any issues either. Seems pretty tough to me. Time will tell...

antontd
05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Cuz I suck!!!

Learn to enjoy the game. Donít loose control. You are not as good as you think. Be happy when you make a good shot.

SamBruin
05-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Yonex rackets seem to break easier than other rackets because of their unconventional head shape. Back in high school, I broke an RD-7 when it slipped out of my hand while serving. And a teammate broke his RQ after he lost his temper and slammed it on the ground. He switched to a Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 and even with his continued slamming, that racket never broke. I also switched to the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 and had the same flying racket incident while serving when it slipped out of my hand (learned my lesson of changing grips more often) and it had no cracks or damage other than some scratches.

KOtennis
05-14-2005, 03:52 PM
A Hewitt,
i broke 2 Ti-70s within 5 weeks doing what u did.
just throwing it with moderate force head first at the 2 o'colck position.
both broke at almost the exact same spot.
must be the shape of yonex tennis racquets....

devwizard
05-14-2005, 05:19 PM
ALL yonex frames do have a significantly higher tendency to break than any other stick I know. I think it is partially the head shape, but with the older series the Titanium design was inherently weak also. I have broken 3 MP series frames when I lost them on hard first serves, while I have done the same exact thing probably 15 times to my Bab PCZ with nothing more than a few scratches as a consequence. My advice: Use good overgrips! :-D