PDA

View Full Version : Replaced endcap ... doesn't feel right

Safina
05-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Hello,

I had a racquet sized DOWN from 5/8 to 1/2. It was a foam handle so it was just sanded down. I didn't think about this before hand, but I guess they had to replace the endcap to complete the job.

Nothing seems messed up, but when I hit a ball that was hit to me with pace, I can sort of feel "flexing" at the end of the racquet.

Anybody feel this before after replacing an endcap... I have felt this before on a different racquet too.

Any suggestions to get rid of this?
Hopefully somebody knows what I'm talking about.....

diredesire
05-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Hello,

I had a racquet sized DOWN from 5/8 to 1/2. It was a foam handle so it was just sanded down. I didn't think about this before hand, but I guess they had to replace the endcap to complete the job.

Nothing seems messed up, but when I hit a ball that was hit to me with pace, I can sort of feel "flexing" at the end of the racquet.

Anybody feel this before after replacing an endcap... I have felt this before on a different racquet too.

Any suggestions to get rid of this?
Hopefully somebody knows what I'm talking about.....

A few things could be happening here, they might've sanded it down slightly too much, or they could have tried re-attaching the original buttcap. It could also be a factor of not stapling the buttcap on correctly, or the structural integrity of the buttcap may have been compromised if they used the old one as there are already staple holes in it, causing it to have a little bit of "flex" in it. You can order a new buttcap and try stapling it on yourself, although most people i know don't have a staple gun capable of piercing graphite (for thinner, lighter racquets) or reinforce PU foam....

Just a few thoughts, feel free to ask any questions!

AndrewD
05-13-2005, 02:43 AM
Ive done a bit of switching buttcaps from one frame to another and that 'flex' does sometimes happen for 2 reasons, 1 of which diredesire mentioned.

1) using the old buttcap so too big. attached by staples but not fitting tight so you get 'flex'.
2) the buttcap having been damaged in some way if you aren't using a brand new one (can get damaged -stretched- when removing)
3) the buttcap just hasn't been put on properly. Ive found Head buttcaps push all the way down so if they've only pushed it part way that could be the reason. the flexing then comes from the hollow part of the cap not being against something solid.

Just take off the grip, remove the buttcap and reapply it. You can staple it back but it isn't essential. Head caps seem to fit tightly and, as I said, push a fair way down, so they should stay solid without stapling.

Safina
05-13-2005, 07:14 AM
They used a new endcap....

I just tried to pound the endcap down a little bit to see if it stays put a little better.... have to wait to play to test it.

diredesire
05-13-2005, 10:19 AM
They used a new endcap....

I just tried to pound the endcap down a little bit to see if it stays put a little better.... have to wait to play to test it.

That's probably not going to help much, and sometimes the "new" buttcaps are not "new", i've seen my local pro shop strip tons of butt caps and they're all 'used' i.e. removed off racquets and they've already been stapled before... take off the grip and take a close look at your frame, are they stapled on 4 sides (at least) of the bevels?