PDA

View Full Version : 200G XL mini review

Tommy Haas
04-15-2004, 01:01 PM
* deleted *

mary fierce
04-15-2004, 02:52 PM
If you're not sure whether you want to cut it down, consider instead what a friend of mine did with a NXG 27.5 inch...add your weight at 3:00 and 9:00 but take the head guard off and drill some holes in it to keep the swingweight manageable. You'll also get more stability if you drill most of the holes close to the handle axis (i.e. closer to 12:00 rather than 10:00, 2:00)

Kirko
04-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Mary do you mean drill holes in the shaft ? You jooged my memory . Pancho Gonzales did this with the Spalding Smasher @ the Howard Huhes Open in Las Vegas & when he md. his last run at Wimbledon . Someone could mk. a heavier frm. lighter that way. Might be the way to go. Good idea !

BHud
04-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Mary Fierce...did your friend drill all the way through the frame or just part of the way in?

Thanks!

D. Nelson
04-16-2004, 03:51 PM
I just took out a 200g XL demo today....only had a chance to hit on "The Wall" and hit a few serves. My first impressions...VERY pleasantly surprised !!! I've owned the 300g/400g, and tried the 300g OS....and hit with a 200g so long ago that I don't really REMEMBER much (!?!?!?!). The 200g XL really fits my swing...exCEPT for real KILL shots, where a little weight might help....but I think I can adjust !! It does have GOOD control, and swings very solid for it's weight/head size. It reminds me a LOT of what a Volkl Tour 8 was SUPPOSED to be !!! It just 'fits' my swing style and hitting distance --- seemed like my 'normal' forehand not only found the sweetspot MOST of the time....but when taken in front (relaxed...no need to HURRY!) it rolled over quite nicely !! The serves were really fun....didn't have enough time today to really 'work' them...but direction control and ease of motion were both tops !! like I said, first impressions were really good....I'm going to try to get out and play some sets this weekend (would really like to put a different string in it!!!). I also have the Head Liuid Metal 2 at the same time.... That's aNOTHER story !!!

Koz
04-17-2004, 06:38 AM
I think he took the bumper gaurd off, and drilled through the gaurd, not the actual racquet! :-O

Xanataos
04-20-2004, 10:22 AM
What kind of soft string and tension will u recommend? .

I had my strung with BBALU Power and it hurted my arm.

Tommy Haas
04-21-2004, 08:56 AM
* deleted *

Xanataos
04-21-2004, 09:04 AM
At 50lbs? Will that be a little too loose? I just sent in my racquet to Citysport and ask them to string with Babolat touch at 58lb.

How do you cut the handle down? Is there any replacement handle that you can replace?

Tommy Haas
04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
* deleted *

diredesire
04-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Interesting question. The handle (graphite) probably extends almost all the way down into the PU foam, so a saw would work, but i use a fine tipped carbide blade on my table saw to really get through it. Sometimes there is aluminum reinforcements in the handles, and a conventional blade mgiht not like having to cut through metal. As far as the original topic goes, i say give it 2 weeks and you may just get used to it. The timing will be a little off IMO, and once you get used to the timing you'll probably find yourself with a bit less shoulder pain.