PDA

View Full Version : Prince racquets: Made in China vs Thailand

andirez
05-13-2005, 06:08 AM
I got a couple of Precision Graphite 640s:
- 4 of them are made in China
- 2 of them are made in Thailand

The ones made in Thailand are noticable more head light (more than 3 points compared to the Chinese ones) and also have slightly different cosmetics and a totally different butt cap.

Thailand:
http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/DBI.JPG

China (like this but not completely the same):
http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/ProductImages/PBCAP.JPG

It is clear to me that the made in Thailand ones are of an earlier production (older) than the Chinese made.

Does anyone know if there is any other difference between these frames? Maybe material usage or so? Or any of the history of the production of prince frames? Haven't strung the Thailand ones yet so I can't compare playability.

I'm just curious :)

POGO
05-13-2005, 06:46 AM
The buttcap on the chineese are the older version buttcap. It is interesting why Prince would put older version buttcaps on the newer racket.

andirez
05-13-2005, 06:53 AM
The buttcap on the chineese are the older version buttcap. It is interesting why Prince would put older version buttcaps on the newer racket.

Reason why these thailand ones are older to me is that they come with a Andrei Medved card that states his accomplishments until the year 1994, the first production year of the Precision Graphite 640.

PS. My Diablo MP has the same kind of butt cap as the China ones.

tandayu
05-13-2005, 06:13 PM
As mentioned by other posters, frames has certain product tolerances from the manufacturer.

You just have to buy at the same time and weight them to get the closest match on weight. I have found this even as long as in 1986 back in college days. Several of my teammates have WIlson Sting which they all came in different weight.

I also found it on my existing frames, Head has weight differences as much as 10-15 gram on the same model, and Yonex about the same. Each rackets were measured strung, with stock grips, same grip size.

andirez
05-14-2005, 02:31 AM
As mentioned by other posters, frames has certain product tolerances from the manufacturer.

You just have to buy at the same time and weight them to get the closest match on weight. I have found this even as long as in 1986 back in college days. Several of my teammates have WIlson Sting which they all came in different weight.

I also found it on my existing frames, Head has weight differences as much as 10-15 gram on the same model, and Yonex about the same. Each rackets were measured strung, with stock grips, same grip size.

I hear you about production tolerances, but you have to admit that it is a bit strange that all the 4 Chinese ones have the same balance and static weight (give or take half a point) and the 2 Thailand frames are clearly a lot more headlight (+ 3 points), while the static weight is within 2 grams from the Chinese racquets.

Maybe both Thailand frames come of the same batch which produced more HL racquets. The fact sheet of both Chinese and Thailand frames state exactly the same specs, which of course supports your theory. But still I was curious, people all agree that St. Vincent Pro Staffs are different than the Chinese ones so maybe this is also the case for the Precision Graphite 640s made in Thailand :)